• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Can I Get Over This RU?

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry for a bit of emotional blubble, but I'm geniunely scared to go out and see my rabbits.
It's been over a year since I found Scarlett dead in the kennel but every single freaking day I'm petrified to go out there and see them incase I find another one gone. It gets to the point where I have to force myself out there, or get someone to go out there first to see if they're all okay.
Once I'm out there I can spend hours fussing them as I geniunely miss them so much with being at uni, but this fear is gripping me. I know it sounds so pathetic, but I am genuinely petrified of losing them, they're such special creatures :love:
HELP!

Oh Gosh! I am not sure how you do cos I must admit I am pretty bad like that myself. Not always, but I often think very similar thoughts and make my OH go out to them first.
I dont know what to suggest sorry, :( just wanted to emapthise and send hugs x

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that :( I was the same after one of my guinea pigs died, knowing one day I'd go out to find the other one gone too :( I don't really know what to say to help you, it's hard but try not to worry, try to look forward to going out to see them, I'm sure they're looking forward to seeing you. xxx Hugs xxx

Oh Gosh! I am not sure how you do cos I must admit I am pretty bad like that myself. Not always, but I often think very similar thoughts and make my OH go out to them first.
I dont know what to suggest sorry, :( just wanted to emapthise and send hugs x

It's horrible because it sounds like I don't care for them and don't want to see them, but I geniunely do. Ever since I've lost Scarlett, it just replays in my head when I found her and I never want to experience that again so am petrified about going out there and finding them dead!
I'm just being a massive div I know, it's completely irrational, I need to get a grip!

I have that problem sometimes :( especially with my old hams or sick animals. But I feel better knowing, so I check but I get frantic if I can't find them right away. I don't know what can help it..sorry. :(

I don't think its stupid and I totally understand why you would be scared.

The first thing that came to mind would be maybe finding a way to hook CCTV or a webcam or something up in there so you could see them anytime you wanted? Then you don't have to worry about that shock factor?

This is a little blunt but I'm 'hoping' it will help you a bit? (Sorry in advance xxx)

All of our bunnies are going to die .........so are we!

So instead of wasing time that you DO have, get out there quicker and spend time with your buns xxxxxxxxxxxx

That said, it does run thru my mind at times too :cry:

Tons of luv and stuff xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I know what you mean :cry: Monday my hubby went out to change the buns water and give them some pellets, I was getting out of bed and it ran through my mind that Cookie had died. After 15 minutes or so I relaxed because I though if one of the animals had passed away he'd be in by now. Minutes after that thought he came upstairs crying and in an awful state our baby boy had died :cry: he's stayed in the shed with Cookie for at least 15 minutes cuddling him and saying good bye( they had a very close bond)

I know what you mean :cry: Monday my hubby went out to change the buns water and give them some pellets, I was getting out of bed and it ran through my mind that Cookie had died. After 15 minutes or so I relaxed because I though if one of the animals had passed away he'd be in by now. Minutes after that thought he came upstairs crying and in an awful state our baby boy had died :cry: he's stayed in the shed with Cookie for at least 15 minutes cuddling him and saying good bye( they had a very close bond)

Gosh, this is so dreadful, I'm so sorry!

I can't bring them in as I'm at uni, and parents would go absolutely squits, they'd have more room outside.

I know I'm being a massive pansy, but I don't know, becuase she was so young and it was so unexpected I am seriously scarred.
I am scared everyday. Sometimes I just bite my tongue and go out there and my stomach is doing all somersaults and back flips and they're all fine. I panic though if I can't find one. I've turned into such a baby!

Last edited:

Awww thats so sad ((((hugs)))) xxxxxxxxxx

It must be awful for you, I'm so sorry. I was the same with my elderly guinea pig, her cage mate passed away and I thought she would go soon too. I was used to stay in the shed for ages with her and didn't wan to leave for fear of coming back and finding her gone. A few weeks passed and I realised she would pass away one day and there's nothing I could do to stop that but what I can do is spend as much time with her till the day comes. It must be hard but try to go out to see them without hesitating and hopefully, over time it will be ok xxx Hugs xxx

I can totally empathise. :( One of the things putting me off bunnies is the fear of every single day worrying that they won't come running over for their food and be in stasis. I just don't know if I can ever get over that.

im so so to both of you that have been through this, i know your not the only ones ive had it many many times and it breaks me heart every time :cry:
try to enjoy them life in too short hunny and we never have enough time with our babies i know its hard but enjoy them and love themas much as you can while they are here
and no your not been silly xxxx

Firstly please don't be hard on yourself, the one thing you are NOT being is a wimp. OK?
I feel with you. I'm concerned by how badly it's affecting you, although you've struggled so hard with it on your own for a long time now.
I admire your courage for asking us to help.

Your description sounds much like traumatic stress = sudden very severe shock, & for whatever reason you've not come out of that phase, to begin to go through the bereavement process properly.

Unless someone comes up with the "key" that gets you out of it, I'd suggest a good counsellor in this type of issue.
You'll get there.:) You just need a bit of help.
Thinking of you.

I can totally relate to this Spider, and really feel for you :(
Ever since my Tilly died of impaction nearly a year ago, I wake up in the mornings and the panic sets in that one of them wont greet me for their breakfast. Sometimes if i wake up in the night it plays on my mind and I have to go and poke thrm all or else I cant get back to sleep :oops::roll:
I think Thumps is right that its a post traumatic stress thing. Tillys death was very sudden aswell, woke up one morning to her not eating, by 6pm shed died in my arms :cry: We think of our buns as our babies so how can losing them not effect you so deeply?!
Im getting alot better now and have stopped obsessing. Someone gave me similar advise to on this thread, to not waste my precious time with them worrying about what may or may not happen. It really struck a chord with me and now Im far more relaxed, which im sure benefits my buns aswell :D
Give yourself time and thought space hun, you'll get there.
And btw you're NOT being a pansy atall :wave:

Thankyou so much for your replies, I am very overwhelmed :)
I spend nearly an hour with my superb little creatures today, fussing them as I probably won't see them for a couple of months.
They little cherubs are so so happy, and I just thought to myself.... The majority of them have had utter poo lives, and now they live in luxury. They're happy, healthy, never without food/water/love. They don't know if they suddenly die and I will catch them if they are ill. Sure I'll be really sad, but not many bunnies have the lives mine do.
I put another hay bale in there for them to play with and they've dug another burrow, I've put loads of cardboard boxes in there for them to destroy and wee all over :lol:
If they were to die, they'd die happy, and therefore I need to get a grip!

I am just a massive panicker now ever since Scarlett died, even with Obie (my horse). Since I was home, my housemate looked after him at uni for 2 days and she rang me up for a general chat and I full blown had a panic attack that something had happened to him. I suppose I just love them so much, and am so scared of losing them.

i'm the same but especially if they've not been well. i wake up and for a moment i'm scared to look over to the cage incase i see them gone :(

when matt had stasis when they lived outside in their shed i had to go and syringe feed him every few hours and i was so scared each time as i thought he would be gone. :(

it must have been so awful finding scarlett gone. :( i can't imagine how awful that must have been. :( i found smudge in his hutch floppy and unresponsive. he passed away as we got to the emergency vets. but finding him was so awful.

think we all worry about it though. :(

hugs x

Have you though of putting a type of web cam in there so you can give them a quick look over before going outside.??

Back