• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Special Connections...

Minimallow

Wise Old Thumper
I'm sitting here and i've been thinking a lot about Elliot - one of my bridge buns.
We only actually had the pleasure of his company for just over two months as he passed away not long after we got him. There was just something about him that i felt such a deep connection with him almost instantly. Obviously i love all my buns, but i dont know if i ever will have the same thing as i did with Elliot. This is going to sound weird, but when i touched him or lay beside him i felt such a warmth between us. I had to be the one to make the decision to have him PTS as he deteriorated rapidly. He sat there with me stroking him and nuzzled into me. He didnt even flinch when the vet put the needle in his ear and he just drifted off. I always try and hold myself together for the animals sake at "the end" and made it to the car before bursting into tears. I cried almost non stop for a couple of days which i haven't ever done for any of my other animals. Ive never cried with such intensity for such a long time before that point or after it.
I "think" the reason may be because he was such a loving, trusting rabbit. He had been kept in a tiny hutch and had urine stains halfway up his paws/legs. He also had severe muscle wasteage in his backlegs and sat hunched a lot of the time - probably due to the fact that was all he was able to do in his tiny hutch. He came on so well in the two months and i think i was just gutted for him that it had to end so quickly. What makes me well up all the more when i think of it is the fact there are so many rabbits like elliot out there - and really breaks my heart to think they will never be loved, or even discovered.

Anyway i've rambled a bit :roll: but was really just wondering if its normal to feel so strongly about a bun i "barely" knew :?

Some animals really can get into our hearts. On a different forum I used to go on, they called them 'heart bunnies' and they are those bunnies that touch us and join us the most. I guess, in an animal way, they are our soul mates. for soul mates it doesn't matter how long you knew them when you depart, because whenever it is, its too early.

I don't believe there is such a thing as 'normal' but I definitely think its ok, understandable and actually very good for the bunny :)

Not sure if you know of my Flash, but he was my heart bunny and I've had other special bunnies, but none can match that true inner connection that I had with him. We bonded instantly, on the very day we met and we parted far too early (after 7 months and 19 days) and whilst that was longer than you had with your Elliot, it was still too early.

I would say Tilly is my "heart bunny" she is so special to me. I love our other two buns, but just have a special bond with her.:love:

Awww thats lovely and so sad at the same time :( I felt like that about my Minnie, but I had her 4 years before I had to have her pts :( I cried for so long, and it was 3 years before I felt ready to get another bun. Xx

Darcy is my heart bunny. I love all my bunnies equally but Darcy and I have a very strong bond ever since he was little.

sometimes buns come into rescue and i fall for them within seconds ... dont know why it happens ...it just does ..

i fall for others too when theyve been here a long time but thats different ..

Its as you say ... I just seem to have a special connection with some buns .. thing is it hurts like hell when we re home them :(

I think sometimes it's because you don't have them for long that they really touch you. Also, I know I regret that they never had the life they should have.

I only had Floss for about a week before she died but she was so gentle and friendly. I will always miss her and I still feel guilty that she didn't ever really get a chance to know what it was like to be in a home where she was loved, 5 months was so young:(.

With Scooby, I had seen him be mistreated for 4-5 years in my neighbours garden. The day they let me have him and I took him over to the rescue was something I had waited a long time for. I can remember climbing into this dirty run and hutch and he literally jumped into my arms (I think he knew I was on a rescue mission). He had a few good months at the rescue before he was PTS with liver cancer. I will always be thankful that he had a chance to live with other rabbits and that he was well cared for at the end. However, at the same, I still miss him:(.

Squidgy was my heart bunny, my soul mate, and I feel there's a hole in my chest now he's gone. I was so lucky to have 8 years with him. I loved him so much, and we understood each other so well. He was also my o/h's best friend, so our house now feels so empty.
As soon as I saw his skinny little body and overgrown teeth I was in love, and I don't think it's strange to have that connection straight away with a bunny.
I love our outside bunnies very much, they are all adorable, but they have each other, whereas I was Squidgy's bonded partner.

Kermit was my special bunster. He will always be my No.1, although i do have space in my heart for many others :)

losing any bun breaks your heart, but some buns take your heart with them.
I found Henry at a cat and dog shelter, they are not realy geared up for rabbits but they do neuter and vacc so good on them. Henry was in very poor health, and sounds like he had lived the shameful disgusting life that poor Elliot had.
I am so lucky and amazed that almost three years later my sweet Henry is still with me. He has fought many battles with his health, he has arthritus and spinal problems due to living in cramped conditions but his health has improved beyond any one could have imagined. He is a stubborn and quietly determined to get what he wants. He melts my heart, how can I say no to him, I absolutly love him and I am cant describe how glad i am to give him the life he never had, and boy how he enjoys it. :lol:
I love my other buns but Henry is something else:love:

I love all of our buns madly, and miss our rainbow bunnies one and all, but Netty stole my heart. A big void remains when she left.

I wonder why they choose us. She chose me and I noticed out of all of the 68 buns that she lived with. Fate meant she stopped. Three months is all we had but she lives on with me.

I'm sitting here and i've been thinking a lot about Elliot - one of my bridge buns.
We only actually had the pleasure of his company for just over two months as he passed away not long after we got him. There was just something about him that i felt such a deep connection with him almost instantly. Obviously i love all my buns, but i dont know if i ever will have the same thing as i did with Elliot. This is going to sound weird, but when i touched him or lay beside him i felt such a warmth between us. I had to be the one to make the decision to have him PTS as he deteriorated rapidly. He sat there with me stroking him and nuzzled into me. He didnt even flinch when the vet put the needle in his ear and he just drifted off. I always try and hold myself together for the animals sake at "the end" and made it to the car before bursting into tears. I cried almost non stop for a couple of days which i haven't ever done for any of my other animals. Ive never cried with such intensity for such a long time before that point or after it.
I "think" the reason may be because he was such a loving, trusting rabbit. He had been kept in a tiny hutch and had urine stains halfway up his paws/legs. He also had severe muscle wasteage in his backlegs and sat hunched a lot of the time - probably due to the fact that was all he was able to do in his tiny hutch. He came on so well in the two months and i think i was just gutted for him that it had to end so quickly. What makes me well up all the more when i think of it is the fact there are so many rabbits like elliot out there - and really breaks my heart to think they will never be loved, or even discovered.

Anyway i've rambled a bit :roll: but was really just wondering if its normal to feel so strongly about a bun i "barely" knew :?

he won me over instantly too nicki. he was a very very special bunny :love:

My 'heart bunny' was Widget, I think.
I love my current two so much, but it doesn't feel the same as it did with Widgey.

Out of all the animals I've owned though, Josie the cat is the one I have the strongest connection with. I don't even know why. She's grumpy and bad-tempered but she's my best girl. She always looks after me when I'm ill or upset.

All our bunnies mean the absolute world to me but there are some that I just feel a 'click' with - a very special bond.

Louis and Lilia were, and still are, extremely special bunnies and, along with Solomon, were like no other bunny I have ever met. My world changed forever when Louis and Lilia left :cry:

Solomon is my boy, my squishy little boy.

I have special little connection with Pancake too :love:

Geronimo is just plain cute and I could just smoosh him all day!

It's strange, as when I hold each and every one of them, the feelings I experience are so different between each bunny. The main feelings that are present for each one are utter love and protection :love:

I only had Bracken a very short time, she was very special, I try not to think about her as it is too upsetting :cry:. I love all my buns but there was something I can't put my finger on that made Bracken stand out.

I can understand exactly what you mean Nicki :cry: Elliot was such a beautiful lad & I am certain he will have known & understood how special he was to you :love:

For me & for Mark - although we love all of our bunnies dearly & all of our bridge bunnies, our heart bunny is Noah :love: Neither us have ever felt a connection with other bunnies, like we do with Noah.

I have recently said to Mark whilst Noah's been poorly, I honestly don't know how I'll cope when we lose Noah - I could burst into tears now just thinking about him not being with us at some point in the future :cry: I think it's because he is so vulnerable - being deaf & partially sighted, as well as thinking he's a cat & sleeping on our bed :love: I am certain that somewhere something isn't quite wired up right in Noah's head :lol: but we love him more than words can say :love:

How on earth the scumbags who previously owned him for 5+ years could just dump him & his brother on the streets, I will never know. I just hope his brother was found safe & well like Noah - which is something I guess we'll never know :cry:

Thank you for all the replies. It's lovely to hear about everyone's experiences. I was welling up just reading them :oops:
"Heart Bunny" is a lovely way to describe the connection. And yes i do agree maybe due to the limited time we got to spend together, and how i felt he was cheated out of his new life probably meant i am more upset than maybe i might have been.

I just have been thinking lots about him and longing for a cuddle with him that i know i will never ever have again.

Back