• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What made you get your first bun??

I was hamster sitting and was quite taken with having an animal in the house. I went into Pets at Home (because I didn't know any better) just to have a look and came away with Oliver.

He was definately an impulse buy and he's the best stupidest thing that I've ever done

Had dogs and hammies growing up, when I was 14 I wanted my first "proper" pet that was all mine. Did lots of research on chins and piggies and bunnies. But I decided that bunnies were the best choice for me :D First bun was a petshop bun, a bit of an impulse buy too as I hadn't quite gotten full approval from the parents, but it has all turned out well :D Now will NEVER be without a bun (or 2...or 3....or 12 :lol::lol:)

Well I had always had guinea pigs and my brother's friend had an accidental litter of baby buns. :roll: Really gald they did though! :oops: :love:
I really wanted to go and see them and I asked my parents for one. :D They said maybe but only if I was the one who was responsible for looking after it (obviously this doesn't include vet problems, my parents would never let my pets suffer and would pay vet bills)

So... off me and my mum went to view them and came away planning on getting 2 when they were old enough to leave mum.... :lol:

I fed some of my friends bunnies (babie nethies) while she was away on hols. I fell in love! It took a while to persuade my OH, and in the end we saw some bunnies in a garden centre, fell in love again and bought them home :oops: Did lots of reading after that and now would always rescue, but I dont regret buying my first two, just the obsession with bunnies it has kick started!! :lol::lol:

We weren't allowed a dog/pet (renting) and I looked into house rabbit as an alternative that wouldn't make any noise. :oops:

I really don't like living without an animal in the house. It's nice to have little characters around that don't answer back and are happy to just 'be'. I think we could learn a lot from them!

I had no idea what a great pet a house bun would be. Hours of entertainment! :lol:

I wanted a cat, but with no reply from the landlord as to if we could have one, I wandered into P@H and found the bunnys. Fell in love, went home, pestered my OH to buy us one, went back and bought Bunsk. Very impulse, but I'm glad.

I'm not really sure :lol: Beano is my first rabbit, I went to a garden centre to get a toy or something for my piggies. My parents were talking to some one so I went to look at the pets and saw Beano :love: She came binkying over to me (very small binkys as her small cage wouldn't let her do big ones :() and I knew I had to have her! :love: What made me get her I'm not sure, I knew how to care for rabbits and had always liked them and I had spare acommodation. I almost never went to look at the pets as they don't usually have any in but I'm so pleased I did! :)

Many years ago.. looked after a neighbours buns while they were on holiday.. Fell in love and thats when it all started!!!
Didnt choose rabbits over other pets though.... chose it as well as other pets

My friend owned Rodge & was going to release him into a field......so I agreed to take him with zero knowledge about rabbits & no accommodation. :lol:

My friend owned Rodge & was going to release him into a field......so I agreed to take him with zero knowledge about rabbits & no accommodation. :lol:

That's just hardcore Jenny :D

My first bunny was a 'i want a bunny Mummy / Daddy'

So i got one :lol:

That's just hardcore Jenny

My first bunny was a 'i want a bunny Mummy / Daddy'

So i got one

:lol: My friend dropped him off at 1am & Rodge & I just stared at each other in the livingroom thinking 'sooooo what next?'......an old puppy pen & cardboard box later.....I knew I was way over my head.....Google to the rescue & HEY PRESTO......HELLO RU!:lol:

Many years ago.. looked after a neighbours buns while they were on holiday.. Fell in love and thats when it all started!!!
Didnt choose rabbits over other pets though.... chose it as well as other pets

Me too, the only small pets I haven't got/had is degu's and hamsters! I love most pets and would never be without them :love:

I got Inca last Feb as a Valentines present for my OH. He had a bunny when I met him. Sadly Badger died of shock from seeing a fox enter the garden :cry: We said we wouldn't have another bun unless it was a house bun. We went 2 years without a bun before I contacted Jill at Honeybunnies. I'd never owned a bun before and so I had a lot of reading up to do! Bunnies appealed to me because a) they don't need walking b) they don't kill birds c) they are vegetarian and d) they are so darn cute :love:

my son kept pestering me for one and i kept saying NO. went into pets at home and there was rocky, looking at me saying "mama, mama". that was it. smitten!!! although my son used his money. the bunny was MINE. i am going to get two from a rescue shortly:)

I missed having a horse, don't like cats and dogs need too much walking....and rabbits looks so cute.............good job I didn't realise just how much they cost :lol:

My mum had always kept bunnies and other small furries but my first proper rabbit of my own was Ginger :) Unfortunately she died whilst we were moving when my aunties rescue ec hunting spaniel broke into the greenhouse
and got her out her carrier. My auntie still assures me Ginger died of shock but I'm not sure how true that is!
Then came Rosie who I adored and had for years! Didn't have another bun for over 4 years when I moved in wih Tom. Went to pets at home, saw Pumpkin and fell in love! Total impulse buy and kept her as a house bun :)
Thanks to Ru, I'm more knowledgable about buns now than I ever was before! Unfortunately Pumpkin died from an ear infection, abscess and meningitis at just 1 year old :( but she's now happily sitting on my fireplace :)

went into the garden centre to get some fish food and the pen of rabbits caught my eye as one tiny tiny black bun was being head humped by a huge grey lop. he looked terrified and so sad but responded to me when i crouched down next to him. i asked the assistant if he could be separated from the much larger buns. 'i'll ask my boss'.

thought about him all night and the next day and told OH i needed to pop in to see if he was ok.....being picked on by the big buns again and just sat quivering in a corner. i called over the assistant. shrug of shoulders from her and the little black bunny raced over to me......

i loves my eric:love:

I always left pet ownership up to my sister and mum, but at the age of 39 I was working at a petting zoo, my boys were dumped there, and the rest is history :lol:

Back