PDA

View Full Version : What made you get your first bun??

beccimarie
07-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Just because im nosey.. :lol: what made you get your first bun/ choose a rabbit over another pet?

Rachie
07-01-2011, 04:49 PM
I was hamster sitting and was quite taken with having an animal in the house. I went into Pets at Home (because I didn't know any better) just to have a look and came away with Oliver.

He was definately an impulse buy and he's the best stupidest thing that I've ever done

Charliesangel
07-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Had dogs and hammies growing up, when I was 14 I wanted my first "proper" pet that was all mine. Did lots of research on chins and piggies and bunnies. But I decided that bunnies were the best choice for me :D First bun was a petshop bun, a bit of an impulse buy too as I hadn't quite gotten full approval from the parents, but it has all turned out well :D Now will NEVER be without a bun (or 2...or 3....or 12 :lol::lol:)

Mischief and Tinker's Mum
07-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Well I had always had guinea pigs and my brother's friend had an accidental litter of baby buns. :roll: Really gald they did though! :oops: :love:
I really wanted to go and see them and I asked my parents for one. :D They said maybe but only if I was the one who was responsible for looking after it (obviously this doesn't include vet problems, my parents would never let my pets suffer and would pay vet bills)

So... off me and my mum went to view them and came away planning on getting 2 when they were old enough to leave mum.... :lol:

NLENG2000
07-01-2011, 04:54 PM
I fed some of my friends bunnies (babie nethies) while she was away on hols. I fell in love! It took a while to persuade my OH, and in the end we saw some bunnies in a garden centre, fell in love again and bought them home :oops: Did lots of reading after that and now would always rescue, but I dont regret buying my first two, just the obsession with bunnies it has kick started!! :lol::lol:

UrbanBunny
07-01-2011, 04:56 PM
We weren't allowed a dog/pet (renting) and I looked into house rabbit as an alternative that wouldn't make any noise. :oops:

I really don't like living without an animal in the house. It's nice to have little characters around that don't answer back and are happy to just 'be'. I think we could learn a lot from them!

I had no idea what a great pet a house bun would be. Hours of entertainment! :lol:

chul
07-01-2011, 04:58 PM
I wanted a cat, but with no reply from the landlord as to if we could have one, I wandered into P@H and found the bunnys. Fell in love, went home, pestered my OH to buy us one, went back and bought Bunsk. Very impulse, but I'm glad.

puppyjess12345
07-01-2011, 04:58 PM
I was only a kid, looked at the cute rabbits in P@H - my mum said yes and Floppy came home with us. :oops:

Liz47
07-01-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm not really sure :lol: Beano is my first rabbit, I went to a garden centre to get a toy or something for my piggies. My parents were talking to some one so I went to look at the pets and saw Beano :love: She came binkying over to me (very small binkys as her small cage wouldn't let her do big ones :() and I knew I had to have her! :love: What made me get her I'm not sure, I knew how to care for rabbits and had always liked them and I had spare acommodation. I almost never went to look at the pets as they don't usually have any in but I'm so pleased I did! :)

littleboots
07-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Many years ago.. looked after a neighbours buns while they were on holiday.. Fell in love and thats when it all started!!!
Didnt choose rabbits over other pets though.... chose it as well as other pets

thenamesJT
07-01-2011, 05:01 PM
My friend owned Rodge & was going to release him into a field......so I agreed to take him with zero knowledge about rabbits & no accommodation. :lol:

GrahamL
07-01-2011, 05:06 PM
My friend owned Rodge & was going to release him into a field......so I agreed to take him with zero knowledge about rabbits & no accommodation. :lol:

That's just hardcore Jenny :D

My first bunny was a 'i want a bunny Mummy / Daddy'

So i got one :lol:

thenamesJT
07-01-2011, 05:09 PM
That's just hardcore Jenny

My first bunny was a 'i want a bunny Mummy / Daddy'

So i got one

:lol: My friend dropped him off at 1am & Rodge & I just stared at each other in the livingroom thinking 'sooooo what next?'......an old puppy pen & cardboard box later.....I knew I was way over my head.....Google to the rescue & HEY PRESTO......HELLO RU!:lol:

Liz47
07-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Many years ago.. looked after a neighbours buns while they were on holiday.. Fell in love and thats when it all started!!!
Didnt choose rabbits over other pets though.... chose it as well as other pets

Me too, the only small pets I haven't got/had is degu's and hamsters! I love most pets and would never be without them :love:

Fluffers
07-01-2011, 05:16 PM
I got Inca last Feb as a Valentines present for my OH. He had a bunny when I met him. Sadly Badger died of shock from seeing a fox enter the garden :cry: We said we wouldn't have another bun unless it was a house bun. We went 2 years without a bun before I contacted Jill at Honeybunnies. I'd never owned a bun before and so I had a lot of reading up to do! Bunnies appealed to me because a) they don't need walking b) they don't kill birds c) they are vegetarian and d) they are so darn cute :love:

jackfinn
07-01-2011, 05:23 PM
my son kept pestering me for one and i kept saying NO. went into pets at home and there was rocky, looking at me saying "mama, mama". that was it. smitten!!! although my son used his money. the bunny was MINE. i am going to get two from a rescue shortly:)

molly35
07-01-2011, 05:25 PM
I missed having a horse, don't like cats and dogs need too much walking....and rabbits looks so cute.............good job I didn't realise just how much they cost :lol:

Zahirre
07-01-2011, 05:32 PM
My mum had always kept bunnies and other small furries but my first proper rabbit of my own was Ginger :) Unfortunately she died whilst we were moving when my aunties rescue ec hunting spaniel broke into the greenhouse
and got her out her carrier. My auntie still assures me Ginger died of shock but I'm not sure how true that is!
Then came Rosie who I adored and had for years! Didn't have another bun for over 4 years when I moved in wih Tom. Went to pets at home, saw Pumpkin and fell in love! Total impulse buy and kept her as a house bun :)
Thanks to Ru, I'm more knowledgable about buns now than I ever was before! Unfortunately Pumpkin died from an ear infection, abscess and meningitis at just 1 year old :( but she's now happily sitting on my fireplace :)

poppymoon
07-01-2011, 05:36 PM
went into the garden centre to get some fish food and the pen of rabbits caught my eye as one tiny tiny black bun was being head humped by a huge grey lop. he looked terrified and so sad but responded to me when i crouched down next to him. i asked the assistant if he could be separated from the much larger buns. 'i'll ask my boss'.

thought about him all night and the next day and told OH i needed to pop in to see if he was ok.....being picked on by the big buns again and just sat quivering in a corner. i called over the assistant. shrug of shoulders from her and the little black bunny raced over to me......

i loves my eric:love:

Blackberry & Co
07-01-2011, 05:37 PM
I always left pet ownership up to my sister and mum, but at the age of 39 I was working at a petting zoo, my boys were dumped there, and the rest is history :lol:

kirst25
07-01-2011, 05:38 PM
I had rehomed my cats due to living next to a main road which they went to a good friend so I still get to see them but I said to my OH that I wanted some fish so he bought me tank etc for my birthday and then I wanted a bun,OH mum said she would buy me one for my birthday,went to a pet shop locally for things for fish tank and seen Sophie in small base so asked to pick her up and didn't put her back :) to be fair I didn't know anything about bunnies as never had one or much contact with one :)

LilVicky
07-01-2011, 05:40 PM
I was on holiday down in somerset with my parents and grandad. We visited a small farm which had a petting area, bird of prey display etc.
We went into the petting area and the women sat a small white rabbit onto my lap :love: I fell instantly in love!

Once out of the petting area i saw a sign "Baby rabbits free to good homes"
So i begged and bugged my parents alllllll day long with "Can i get that rabbit?" until we were getting into the car to go back to the caravan. I got in and was just about to shut the door when my dad said "Well are you going to get the rabbit or not?" My face lit up and me and my mum went to collect Harvey :love:
They gave us some food and hay for until we could bring him home to Essex, luckily it was the next day! And he travelled all the way home with me in the car :love:

Harvey 16.06.06 - 05.03.09 Binky Free Beautiful boy :love:
Miss him loads :cry:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r221/123vickii123/n671212399_1957478_4103994.jpg

lilbexi
07-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I moved into my first house in April last year. Always knew I'd get a pet and was going to get a hamster at first but people said it might be a bit boring...:oops:

I think my boss said "why not a bunny?" so I looked on the internet for breeders and fell totally in love with buns. I had 2 when i was younger (my bunny poppy was gorgeous and died when i was 22 but I cired for months!). I decided a bunny was definately for me.

Originally Peter was going to live outside in his hutch but.....I'm too soft and felt bad so by the time I'd had him 3 weeks he was living in the house. Now he's a very happy house bunny!!....and my little baby!! :D

susie bun
07-01-2011, 07:44 PM
My friends bought a baby mini-lop from a local breeder for their kids (yes, I know :roll:). I went to visit and it was love at first sight - it took me 8 months to wear my parents down! :lol:

mini lop1
07-01-2011, 09:05 PM
she was a rescue, almost killed by a dog after being dumped

Gemmapookie
07-01-2011, 09:16 PM
I was hamster sitting and was quite taken with having an animal in the house. I went into Pets at Home (because I didn't know any better) just to have a look and came away with Oliver.

He was definately an impulse buy and he's the best stupidest thing that I've ever done

I was also hamster sitting (a gorgeous little boy called BeakFace :lol:) and started tginking how much Id love my own little un again. Then a friend mentioned that a friend of his was trying to rehome her bunny as she had to move away to somewhere that didnt allow pets. Enter my beloved, precious bridge bun Tilly :love: I had little idea what I was getting myself into then but its the best decision I ever made :love:

newbabybuns
07-01-2011, 09:37 PM
We boarded my cousins bunny when I was little and me and my mum fell in love with her. I used to go and sit outside and sing to her, the neighbours later reminded me of that :oops: Then a couple of years later my friend had an accidental litter, just before they were going on holiday. Me and another friend looked after them while they were away and I was determined to have one of these babies. My dad said no, but my mum said yes :lol: and we spent the summer building a big hutch for one. Sadly, I didn't lock the door properly one night and Boot fell out and injured his nose, seemed ok, but died a day later. I think perhaps it was shock as there was nothing else found at the vets, when they checked his nose. My friend gave us another of the litter, then my aunt convinced us she needed a friend, so my friend gave us another bun, who they had wrongly sexed, so we had an accidental litter of our own. :shock:

kaths101
07-01-2011, 09:54 PM
My boyfriends parents had a litter that were going to the rspca :roll: so my boyfriend begged me to get one, I resisted because I really wasnt that keen :oops: but when I went to look at them we chose a little grey one and was going to wait until 8 weeks to bring him/her home.
Anyway when they were 4 weeks my boyfriend went for dinner and came home with a box, there was Sooty not the little grey one we chose but a dishevelled baby bun at deaths door - he took it out the litter because she wasnt feeding, was the runt and getting bullied and wee'd on by the rest.. here she is...
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad350/kaths101/babysooty.jpg

We really didnt think she would last the night but we were up every 2 hours with her and shes now 1.5 yrs old :D im totally in love now with bunnies and have 4! So I blame my boyfriend entirely about my rabbit obsession!!!

Daisylop
07-01-2011, 09:57 PM
My daughter wanted a guinea pig but my o/h used to have rabbits when he was young so persuaded her she wanted a bunny.As it was close to my birthday guess what my birthday present was??:oops:

Ambience
07-01-2011, 10:56 PM
My best friend when i was younger - her dad bred dutches on an allotment. As soon as i saw them i fell in love with them. From then on my best friend and I convinced my dad it would be okay to have just one dutch bunny.

After this- with very little knowledge of bunnys we ended up with more bunnies than you can count.

My dad didn't agree with cooping animals up so I'd let her run out round the farm. Freerange- sometimes though she would disappear off , even overnight , then come back for food in the morning. She lived as a wild bunny would almost given the freedom she had and sugarbeat fields to run around in.

Of course, un-neutered she ended up pregnant. One time, not sure if it was the first time, it was with next doors rabbit that had moved in at the cottages on our farm. My dad watched in horror. I ran across to separate them, but of course it was too late. Bunnys were on the way. I remember my dad taking me to set my bunnies free on some wildlife land. I don't remember if it was this litter. One of them he did though.

I was distraught about it and never forgave him. Perhaps that's why I'm so intent on rescuing bunnies now and making sure they are safe. I can only hope they managed to dig and survive. They were young enough and unneutered for natural instincts to kick in,but would have been vulnerable to predators. My dad said even if two survive in the wild it's better than being cooped up all there lives. He was anti captivity in a big way. They were fortunately natural colors, so would have blended in. Even so i cried my eyes out :(

At some point we moved cuddles into a large dog kennel. I used to sit with her and once again she became pregnant and had babies, but this time with a wildie. We ended up keeping them,but eventually they dispersed around the farm as they were all allowed free range and to go and come as they pleased from the kennel. I spent so much of my childhood caring for bunnies. We had hutches inside the kennel that were open and i used to sit with them for hours after school. It was the only place i felt content and happy with life as school and home wasn't great for me.

One litter she had , the baby buns were in a chicken run, it was not fox proof however and i ended up with dead baby buns all over the yard when i came down one morning.Cuddles my bunny had managed to escape though and she came back for food as usual. I think one of the kits survived also.

At four years old or just after cuddles never came home. I like to think she died a natural death. She was freeranging and happy and was loved. I was always taught that rabbits need freedom above all else, but very traumatized as a child as i loved my bunnies and couldn't understand why my dad would free them as i instinctively knew they would be unsafe being domestic :(

My experience of my friends dad being a breeder was good- he kept the buns in decent sized cages and they were looked after. As we had lots of bunnies- i experienced seeing one of my buns die of mixi which was just awful. My dad didn't even take her to the vets and i was too young to know what to do. He put her in a coal bunker to die. My bunny was called lucky- I'll never name a rabbit that again :(

I used to spend hours with cuddles on a harness until she didn't run away when she was free range. It was a great experience being around so many bunnies, but i didn't understand what i know now.

Now I'm grateful to be in a position to rescue bunnies and provide atleast 6x2x2 hutches and 24/7 care to all my buns along with the correct diet and veterinary treatment. I can understand how some bunny owners can be clueless- as my dad obviously was and i had no real knowledge on bunnies so just had to learn through experience. Although some of my buns had bad fates, they were happy whilst they were cared for as i spent all my time cleaning them and playing with them and loving them.

Anyways- that is my first bunny story :)

R & R by the river
07-01-2011, 11:09 PM
When my grandad died ( I was 3 at the time) the family went to the local masons yard to order the gravestone, and bought me concrete garden ornament rabbit as a present/momento. I loved that rabbit, and it made me want a 'real' one.
When I was 8 or 9 my wishes came true and Cottontail came to live with us.
I could almost claim she was 'rescued' as she was bought from a meat producing farm .
Sadly I lost her a couple of years later when a neighbours dog got into our garden while she was free ranging one Sunday afternoon.

I can't understand how it was nearly 40 years before I had another bun.

charl86
07-01-2011, 11:34 PM
I was supposed to be minding Sooty for my mum and little brother while they were away, anyway a few weeks of looking after him and I couldn't bear to give him back! Thankfully my lovely mum said that I could keep him as she could see how much I didn't want to give him back and she felt sorry for me not having any pets, I'd always had dogs, hamsters, birds etc growing up and hated being in a pet-free house! My little brother wasn't very happy about her decision though!-but he gets to live with my mum and the dogs so its only fair that I got the bunny!:D

lucyj
08-01-2011, 12:00 AM
It sounds bad now as I love my boys, but the honest truth is himself wanted a dog, I wanted a cat, we could agree on neither, so I said lets get bunnies, n thats what we did......

ps we now also have a dog, perhaps I dont wear the trousers after all haha

lucyj
08-01-2011, 12:00 AM
It sounds bad now as I love my boys, but the honest truth is himself wanted a dog, I wanted a cat, we could agree on neither, so I said lets get bunnies, n thats what we did......

ps we now also have a dog, perhaps I dont wear the trousers after all haha

Pipkin
08-01-2011, 12:06 PM
My sister was -obsessed- with rabbits but we weren't allowed pets at home. Then one day my friends mum asked our mum if we could take this poor rabbit she'd found running around on the road.

I don't know why, but mum said yes! And that's how we got Lopsie. He was my sister's 11th birthday present. I was only 6 or 7 at the time. We don't know how old he was when we got him but he was definitely fully grown. We had him for 8 years before he died from an abscess which stopped him eating.

He was lovely, he made going out in the garden the funnest thing ever! And he used to let me carry him around in a buggy. He was good with kids :)

I love you Lopsie!!xxx

Crunchie
08-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I was shown a tiny, pee-stained, smelly, bedraggled looking wee rabbit which was being housed in a medium sized guinea pig cage and then asked if I wanted him.

Couldn't say no!

Bunnytod
08-01-2011, 01:31 PM
I was really bad, we went on holiday and visited a little enclosure with loads of rabbits in, I asked my mum for months after that if I could have a bunny she always said so, so me being me when I was on my paper round was looking at the adds and saw a advert for baby bunnies for 1, and they were on my route, so I got one that night put him in my paper bag and took him home and told my mum I found him, after about a week when noone claimed him my mum let me keep him and that's how I got Todd, still can't believe the women handed a baby rabbit to a 11 year old no questions asked.

andy5898
10-01-2011, 07:57 AM
I was on Facebook and someone had put on there anyone want a rabbit and hutch. I felt so sorry for the little lad I had to say yes! Anyway Rog arrived one evening when I was sufffering from food poisioning in this nasty old hutch which was so dirty and had his fur ingrained in it. Then when my other half picked him up he seemed to just feel that he might have a chance! Now he has a big 6ft hutch with pitched roof, all the love in the world and a wife. He is a different bunny! Then I happened to buy another 6ft hutch as you do and went to Alice to adopt another bunny and now have Maisie who is just as lovely as Rog and Ness.

Can't imagine life without spending it in wellies and coats, getting wet and muddy looknig after my bunnies!