• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Herb/leaf drying gurus...oven drying

UrbanBunny

Warren Scout
Can I have your advice on oven drying herbs and storing them afterwards?

I've just been to the market to buy a load of mint, thyme, coriander and parsley. Half has gone in the fridge to be fed fresh, but I have a really busy couple of weeks coming up so I was hoping to dry the other half so the bunnies have something yummy if i'm too busy to get fresh stuff besides their usual greens etc. (plus it works out very cheaply - the bunches are huge and cheap but will go slimy by the middle of next week).

Thank you!

I used to oven dry wild plants last year, but I found the plants dried "nicer" if they were spread out on trays and allowed to air dry. It was less work than oven drying too.

When they are completely dry, they should be stored in paper bags to reduce the chance of mould.

Thank you!

I gave up on the oven, it just seemed to be getting humid (which obviously is the water coming out but I just got the feeling it wasn't going to work so well).

They are now hanging upside down in paper bags near my boiler. Fingers crossed!

Is sounding good so far! I managed to burn most of the oven ones I done :lol: That was after I got puddles everywhere :roll::lol:

Thank you!

I gave up on the oven, it just seemed to be getting humid (which obviously is the water coming out but I just got the feeling it wasn't going to work so well).

They are now hanging upside down in paper bags near my boiler. Fingers crossed!

It will work in the oven but you need to set the oven to no more than 50 degrees C and leave them in there for a good few hours spread out thinly on a baking tray, leave to cool, and then put into brown paper bags or a cardboard box. :wave:

Back