• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

insurance question

jackfinn

Warren Scout
Hi, I had pet insurance for my bunny, when he was ill i took him to the emergency vets who gave him pain killer, anti bio and gut moving stimulant.I now think he had gi stasis although vet didnt mention this and I was unaware of the condition then. unfortuantely he still died. Does anyone know if the insurance pay out for this kind of thing. it was 190 pound. I wasnt going to claim but i think now i would liket to and give the money to a rabbit rescue/charity?

Yes, this is the sort of thing they will cover. Clearly the treatment was necessary as your poor bun died :(

Some of the reasons they might not pay out in general are:
  • If your bun had previously had the same illness before you started the insurance ie a "pre-existing condition"
  • The illness was caused by some act of carelessness or negligence on your part
  • The illness was preventable by vaccination and you didn't have them vaccinated
  • The treatment was not necessary
  • There is a time limit for your claim, but I think it's 12 months after the illness
It doesn't sound like any of these apply, so definately put in your claim. They will subtract the excess so you should get about £140 back, plus you will need to get your VET to fill out the form which might cost £10. Definately worth it though.

thanks for the info. as i said i wasn't going to claim but at the end of the day its what insurance is for even if they dont pull through:(

I think it's a reasonable thing to claim for - at least try! Worse case scenario is that they just say no right? There's actually an article that talks about pet insurance on http://www.medicalinsurance.org - I think in the miscellaneous section. That might give you a bit more information.

Sorry for your loss though :(

Hi, I had pet insurance for my bunny, when he was ill i took him to the emergency vets who gave him pain killer, anti bio and gut moving stimulant.I now think he had gi stasis although vet didnt mention this and I was unaware of the condition then. unfortuantely he still died. Does anyone know if the insurance pay out for this kind of thing. it was 190 pound. I wasnt going to claim but i think now i would liket to and give the money to a rabbit rescue/charity?
my god you do have a expensive vet :shock:
well i hope they do thats why you pay for it !!
if they dont fight for it there is no reason why they shouldnt pay
so sorry you lost your baby :cry:
good luck and again im so so sorry

my god you do have a expensive vet :shock:
well i hope they do thats why you pay for it !!
if they dont fight for it there is no reason why they shouldnt pay
so sorry you lost your baby :cry:
good luck and again im so so sorry

That's quite a normal price for an emergency vet visit. Which is why I think insurance is so important for most people.

Back