• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We did a bit of recycling yesterday - covered litter tray

UrbanBunny

Warren Scout
I now own a power tool...how exciting. :lol: Well a little jigsaw anyway.

I no longer needed this box in my bedroom and I haven't found a covered litter tray I like so I flipped it upside down and got the BF to cut a bunny shaped hole in the side then sand it down. I had to shorten their litter tray a little bit to fit it in but it was a large cat one anyway and they don't seem to mind, they were sitting in there together earlier - it's nice and tidy now the litter can't go everywhere. :)

SDC16537.jpg

Needless to say they were having a lovely time with their new level and hidey hole last night - but they were causing trouble elsewhere when I took the photos.

I'm not entirely sure what to put on the top - possibly a carpet tile?

Or was thinking of 'upholstering' it with the same polycotton/wadding i've ordered to make them a mattress type bed rather than their usual folded towel. Neither are particularly destructive (only with the things I provide for them to destroy - lucky me!). Any ideas?

(n.b. the paper bag has a different hay in it for a bit of excitement - it isn't a huge McDonalds as it probably appears)

(n.b. the paper bag has a different hay in it for a bit of excitement - it isn't a huge McDonalds as it probably appears)

:lol::lol::lol:

What a good idea. :thumb: I like the idea of having a little fabric 'seat' on the top as you seem confident it won't be destroyed. :D Or you could use grass mats (eg. the chill and chew mats) but they probably won't be an exact fit.

Oh that's so cute!! I wonder if something like that would help Graham's Biccy stop digging?

Oh that's so cute!! I wonder if something like that would help Graham's Biccy stop digging?

:lol:

I do sometimes wonder if anything will!

That said, he's been a good boy today since yesterdays changes!

Does look pretty cool though. Shame i just threw away a load of old mdf :roll:

Basil has been using it perfectly today (he can even heave himself to sit on top now) but Hilary just wee'd outside the litter tray where she happened to be sitting. She hasn't done anything like that for months. :roll:

I'm thinking of adding another hole on the right side tomorrow. Basil has been pestering her (mounting) quite a lot for the last few days and I wonder if it is because she thinks she can't get away from him with one exit?

It would still be tidy and another level to sit on which was the point really. :?

U/D

The box now has two holes...another on the left (can't see it in the photo). Hilary stopped using the tray until I made another hole. :roll: They've taken to sitting on top to munch the best bits of hay from the rack which is level with it too.

SDC16558.jpg

I finally got round to upholstering it and they have a matching pillow too. It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts!

Last edited:
Ahh fantastic idea I have a couple of boxes like that from ikea that i have spare. Um me thinks some diy is on the cards :lol:

Back