PDA

View Full Version : Hutch cleaning (removing scent)

LauryStevens
07-01-2011, 11:12 AM
What other products can I use if I don't have neat vineager (spelling) and is white vineager the same as neat vineager? Will normal hutch cleaning disinfectant do (Johnsons) or will I need a stronger solution? Ta!

susie bun
07-01-2011, 11:29 AM
I use 'my little friend' cage disinfectant, but not as much as I did in the summer. I discovered from others on here I'd been rather over-using it! :oops:

GrahamL
07-01-2011, 11:30 AM
To get rid of scents for neutral territory, a mixture of white vinegar/water was advised to me, i used 50:50 which is quite strong, some people use 20:80.

That did the job here :wave:

Sky-O
07-01-2011, 11:32 AM
You need white distilled vinegar. Disinfectants and stuff won't work for removing scent smells. I tend to use neat vinegar and then let the space breathe, but many mixes of it will work fine.

KarenM
07-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Yep, white or distilled vinegar is the stuff. :thumb: It's quite pongy when you use it :mrgreen: but the smell fades very quickly.;)

weedug
07-01-2011, 12:10 PM
What other products can I use if I don't have neat vineager (spelling) and is white vineager the same as neat vineager? Will normal hutch cleaning disinfectant do (Johnsons) or will I need a stronger solution? Ta!

Neat vinegar just means vinegar (any type) which has been used straight from the bottle instead of mixing it with water :wave:.

LauryStevens
07-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Is there anything other than vineager I can use? My local shop doesn't sell any in either the cleaning area or the sauce area etc. Darn Co-op

LauryStevens
07-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Neat vinegar just means vinegar (any type) which has been used straight from the bottle instead of mixing it with water :wave:.

Malt vinegar isn't included though is it?

sarahsarah
07-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Malt vinegar should so the same thing as white vinegar I should think.. The one I used to get for doing my kettle etc said malt on it even though it was clear, and I have been told it's just the same without the colour.

sarahsarah
07-01-2011, 12:20 PM
PS have you tried looking in the co-op near the cooking oil etc, or near tje pickled onions??

KarenM
07-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Malt vinegar should do the same job - I find it's a bit smellier than the distilled stuff but the smell does fade very quickly anyway.

LauryStevens
07-01-2011, 12:42 PM
PS have you tried looking in the co-op near the cooking oil etc, or near tje pickled onions??

yep :( they had nothing. but we have malt vinegar so I'll quickly go over it with that :D