• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch cleaning (removing scent)

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
What other products can I use if I don't have neat vineager (spelling) and is white vineager the same as neat vineager? Will normal hutch cleaning disinfectant do (Johnsons) or will I need a stronger solution? Ta!

I use 'my little friend' cage disinfectant, but not as much as I did in the summer. I discovered from others on here I'd been rather over-using it! :oops:

To get rid of scents for neutral territory, a mixture of white vinegar/water was advised to me, i used 50:50 which is quite strong, some people use 20:80.

That did the job here :wave:

You need white distilled vinegar. Disinfectants and stuff won't work for removing scent smells. I tend to use neat vinegar and then let the space breathe, but many mixes of it will work fine.

Yep, white or distilled vinegar is the stuff. :thumb: It's quite pongy when you use it :mrgreen: but the smell fades very quickly.;)

What other products can I use if I don't have neat vineager (spelling) and is white vineager the same as neat vineager? Will normal hutch cleaning disinfectant do (Johnsons) or will I need a stronger solution? Ta!

Neat vinegar just means vinegar (any type) which has been used straight from the bottle instead of mixing it with water :wave:.

Is there anything other than vineager I can use? My local shop doesn't sell any in either the cleaning area or the sauce area etc. Darn Co-op

Malt vinegar should so the same thing as white vinegar I should think.. The one I used to get for doing my kettle etc said malt on it even though it was clear, and I have been told it's just the same without the colour.

Malt vinegar should do the same job - I find it's a bit smellier than the distilled stuff but the smell does fade very quickly anyway.

Back