• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

another kale question!

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
As many of you know Spenser is not quite himself at present. He will not eat cabbage, rocket or carrot - only kale and the occasional green bean. How long can I give in to his lust for kale - I know it's not really very good for him? :roll:

sorry susie - whats his pellet intake like at the minute? :)

just thinking if he is doing ok with his pellets keep giving those and then just top up with incredibly small bits of kale and you might be able to do it quite regularly - we dont give ours kale at all though but duke has a really sensitive tum - its high in calcium isnt it?

not really too sure of the answer for this but im sure someone else will be along soon :D

Hi Susie :wave: Try not to worry too much about the Kale or other veg. So long as Spenser is eating his pellets he will be getting everything he needs.

I bought some Thyme the other day and it's gone down well here - sometimes the strong smelly herbs can kick start a bun back into normal nomming :D You could also try mint or basil if you haven't already?

Hi Susie :wave: Try not to worry too much about the Kale or other veg. So long as Spenser is eating his pellets he will be getting everything he needs.

I bought some Thyme the other day and it's gone down well here - sometimes the strong smelly herbs can kick start a bun back into normal nomming :D You could also try mint or basil if you haven't already?

I know, I'm a bit paranoid. :oops: Spenser was very rude when I tried him with basil after reading on here that it was popular with buns. He wouldn't eat anything until I had removed the offending leaves from the hutch. Just sat there and glowered at me. He does like flat leaf parsley though, so I'll try to get some today.

I know, I'm a bit paranoid. :oops: Spenser was very rude when I tried him with basil after reading on here that it was popular with buns. He wouldn't eat anything until I had removed the offending leaves from the hutch. Just sat there and glowered at me. He does like flat leaf parsley though, so I'll try to get some today.

:lol: I remember that now. You know him better than anyone Susie and so you are best placed to pick up on small changes and if he isn't quite himself. I'd be just the same I'm sure. I over analysed my pony Boysie when he wasnt well and ended up being worried about just about everything he did and didnt do :roll: It's right to be cautious and to pick up on small changes - rabbits can go downhill so quickly. Keep trying different food stuffs & give him as much normality re. his environment as you can + some exercise whenever possible (I know it's not always easy) :wave:

I really do think this is a good opportunity to explain to your parents that getting a secure run would a) remove the need to have Spenser in the Conservatory (& chewing wires :roll:) so often - if at all and would b) improve his gut mobility (exercise is important for this) and therefore reduce the chances of stasis/worry etc

Spenser is having a good bit of exercise in his run at present, not quite binkying but little mini twists and generally looking quite animated. :) I'll bring the link between exercise and gut mobility in next time I introduce the subject of a better run arrangement. :roll: My mum thinks Spenser is eating lots of hay, but this is just compared to the past - bunnies that eat a lot of hay do not do small and dark poos.

Spenser is having a good bit of exercise in his run at present, not quite binkying but little mini twists and generally looking quite animated. :) I'll bring the link between exercise and gut mobility in next time I introduce the subject of a better run arrangement. :roll: My mum thinks Spenser is eating lots of hay, but this is just compared to the past - bunnies that eat a lot of hay do not do small and dark poos.

That sounds excellent :D Maybe he was just feeling a bit off colour yesterday? We all have off days I guess. He clearly enjoys being out :D Don't under estimate just how well you've done with Spenser and the hay nomming. Some buns NEVER improve in this area. Any improvement is brilliant :D You've done really well and should feel good about that. You're a great bunny mummy :wave:

Did you try offering him grass, or did he turn his nose up at that too? :lol::lol::lol:

Tbh, I know kale is supposed to be quite bad but I used to feed Alfie and Bubbles it quite regularly. They don't get it now as I've had to cut down on veg as it was giving Bubbles quite squidgy poos but I don't think it would hurt Spenser for a short while.

Try mixing the kale in with other things maybe, and he may well be encouraged to try the other stuff as well..... or he may not. :? :lol: Alfie's quite a pig, but Bubbles sometimes has to try things a couple of times before she decides if they're edible or not.

I remember when I bought them some of Fluffers' apple twigs and they both looked at them as if they were laced with arsenic the first time. A couple of days later they realised they were actually quite nommy and couldn't get enough :roll: so do persevere with new things as well. ;)

The grass didn't really lose its frosted look yestedray, and today is going to be the same. :roll: I did try mixing kale with cabbage, and although he basically picked out the kale I did distinctly notice him nom a few strands of cabbage while there was still kale in the bowl. I bought the cabbage in the Co-op -22p dearer than Morrisons but he is plainly not impressed. :roll: I'm desperate for him to do some poos so that I can squidge them - if they come out hard I will phone the vet I think. He does seem quite bright though.

Can you monitor his wees? And maybe give him Kale until you notice his wees looking cloudy? That's what I do with parsley cos I can get parsley quite cheap.

Oh :( It must be so difficult. Do I remember you saying he doesn't drink much? Would a fruit or peppermint teabag in his water maybe encourage him to drink?

I never thought of that, although I have heard of people adding a small amount of pineapple juice. I've got some cranberry, raspberry and elderflower tea. Also pomegranate.

I never thought of that, although I have heard of people adding a small amount of pineapple juice. I've got some cranberry, raspberry and elderflower tea. Also pomegranate.

Blimey - he could have a fruit salad with that lot! Lucky Spenser! :lol:

I'm not sure what ones they can have. I would've thought peppermint and chamomile would be ok, chamomile might make him sleepy though :oops:

i asked a while back about herbals teas but someone said it had to be an infusion herbal tea - i wasnt really sure what the difference was between herbal tea bags and infusions?

i buy sainsburys cheapy peppermint tea bags for myself and have often thought about giving them some but didnt know if i could....

You should have seen the look Spenser gave me when I offered him pink tea... :roll: He's done some new poos though, and they are not too dark and hard. :)

Back