PDA

View Full Version : Rupturing of tear duct after flush and pasturella?

Ambience
06-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Sunny has been in overnight at the vets.

They flushed his ducts and said that lots of pus came out of the duct and nostril.

I thought he would be in pain, but apparently not so no pain killers are needed. They have given him depocillin injection for the pasturella.

He has also been under general so I'm feeding him recovery.

I asked the vet if a friend would help with the constant blocked ducts. She said have i got another pasturella bunny to go with him?

Is she meaning he has pasturellosis? I have conflicting opinions from various vets on whether a bun with pasturella is okay to have a friend. Prior to this I'd had him in a carrier with shadow and stripe. Will they be okay?

People on the forum tend to say it's okay to have a friend. One of my vets said pasturella buns need to be a foot away from other buns. Some people say not in the same room.

Thanks

Santa
07-01-2011, 09:08 AM
You may find some of the info in this recent thread helpful :)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263353

Has he been x-rayed to see if there are tooth root problems? As I've said before, I suspect that any infection in there is secondary to something else like tooth root overgrowth, rather than it being a direct infectious problem in itself...and as the article in the link says, virtually all rabbits have pasteurella anyway, it's just a case of whether a particular bun has health issues which allow it to overgrow.

Personally I would get him a friend - and if you've got other rabbits who have already been in contact with him and who you think might bond, then that's probably a good starting point as they have already been in contact with his problems anyway.

Hugo's There's rabbit Eddie (who sadly died last year) had very serious infected tear ducts and regardless of how much antibiotic was thrown at him, the single thing that made the biggest difference to him was having a friend groom his eyes and keep them from blocking and getting heavily infected. I have also heard Richard Saunders (who is a very rabbit savvy vet and who runs the rabbit clinic at Bristol Vet School) advocate a companion as being helpful to rabbits with ongoing tear duct problems.

GrahamL
07-01-2011, 09:10 AM

Has he been x-rayed to see if there are tooth root problems? As I've said before, I suspect that any infection in there is secondary to something else like tooth root overgrowth, rather than it being a direct infectious problem in itself...and as the article in the link says, virtually all rabbits have pasteurella anyway, it's just a case of whether a particular bun has health issues which allow it to overgrow.

Personally I would get him a friend - and if you've got other rabbits who have already been in contact with him and who you think might bond, then that's probably a good starting point as they have already been in contact with his problems anyway.

Hugo's There's rabbit Eddie (who sadly died last year) had very serious infected tear ducts and regardless of how much antibiotic was thrown at him, the single thing that made the biggest difference to him was having a friend groom his eyes and keep them from blocking and getting heavily infected. I have also heard Richard Saunders (who is a very rabbit savvy vet and who runs the rabbit clinic at Bristol Vet School) advocate a companion as being helpful to rabbits with ongoing tear duct problems.

I actually totally second this. Ginger suffered terribly with her eyes when she first arrived, she couldnt keep them clean herself and i couldn't do a very good job at all. Once bonded with Biscuit, he actually 'trimmed' all the fur around her eyes to keep it away from her eyes and he grooms them on an almost hourly basis. After a course of Steroid Eye Drops and Biscuit's constant grooming, she has (touch wood!) never had problems with her eyes since.

Ambience
07-01-2011, 11:21 AM

Thankyou- they checked his teeth and they are misaligned, but there are no spurs etc, so they are filing down ok.

Sunny is the same with antibiotics- they have said that flushing is best as antibiotics won't even touch a deeply embedded infection.

Yes sunny has been in contact with several of my other buns already including paws and shadow and stripe. Blaze and patch have ongoing eye problems and dentals at the moment, so I'm wondering if they would be better with him.

Thanks as always for your input on this. I'll check out the other thread x

Ambience
07-01-2011, 11:23 AM
I actually totally second this. Ginger suffered terribly with her eyes when she first arrived, she couldnt keep them clean herself and i couldn't do a very good job at all. Once bonded with Biscuit, he actually 'trimmed' all the fur around her eyes to keep it away from her eyes and he grooms them on an almost hourly basis. After a course of Steroid Eye Drops and Biscuit's constant grooming, she has (touch wood!) never had problems with her eyes since.

Thanks Graham.

That is sweet of him bless. I have two with poorly eyes who are similar. They have chronically bad eyes as they are dental buns however.

They look really happy together ginger and biscuit- Hope all is well with you all there :) x