• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

free range bases

how big should a base be for 2 nethies who are:

a. free range when im at home

b.free range 24/7 - in which case there may be times when they need to be shut in i.e if i have guests staying in my room who dont apreciate the buns hopping all over when theyre in bed :lol:

Last edited:
I've given up with bases :oops: If people come into my rooms they will have to deal with bunnies :oops:

Sorry that's no help at all :oops:

I would say for (a) a 6x2 or 5x3 would be best, you could probably get away with smaller for (b) if it was only for a couple of hours.

I would be concerned about their reaction when let out though. I find that when they get grumpy cos of something they wee on my bed :roll:

Possibly just buy them an extra large dog crate with make shift levels on like a lot of people do on here...
My two would have one of them if guests etc stayed who didn't like them but, most people don't mind so they just free range in the kitchen.

:D

I've given up with bases :oops: If people come into my rooms they will have to deal with bunnies :oops:

Sorry that's no help at all :oops:

I would say for (a) a 6x2 or 5x3 would be best, you could probably get away with smaller for (b) if it was only for a couple of hours.

I would be concerned about their reaction when let out though. I find that when they get grumpy cos of something they wee on my bed :roll:

:lol: Having people other than my brothers friends stay is a rareity! I think once people get used to them then they wont mind. Plus, if its my grandparents or my uncle, i dont think the rabbits will like them anyway. :shock: :oops:

I think a 6x2 will fit in fine. It will only really be for hay, food, water, and a bed. But they just tend to flop on the floor. A pet bed is too hot and a cushion isnt big enough for his highness, he only likes folded duvets! :shock:

Mine have folded duvets too. :lol: With a fleecy blanket on top.

ooo im so excited!! the fact that i may have found a solution to my bunyproofing issue is great!

So far, mine havent chewed my skirting boards or gone to town on my carpet (apart from a tiny bit by my door, but that could well have already been loose!)

Is there anything i need to know about free range buns? As in what to expect from them to begin with. I just hope they dont poo in places i cant get to and continue to use their litter tray.

Will rewarding them everytime they sit in their tray help keep them trained?

ETA: And how did you go about stopping your peeing issue Schuette? I dont really want to have to put tarp on my bed. Its still my room, not ALL theirs :lol:

:lol: I wouldn't put mine up if guests didn't like them. I would if i thought the guests may be a danger to the buns though. ie stepping/sitting/closing the door on one, etc.

Izzy used to free range my room and i didn't really have to do anything different. there wasn't anything he could destroy, besides cords. actually he did destroy part of the wall paper :shock: but if I ever needed to block off stuff I'd use nic cubes and if the buns needed to be locked up i'd lock them in the spare bathroom.

The only thing my buns will lie on (and believe me ive tried everything!!!)....is bath matts? :shock:

Luckily my mums just redecorated all 3 bathrooms so I have plenty old matts to give them. :lol:

:lol: I wouldn't put mine up if guests didn't like them. I would if i thought the guests may be a danger to the buns though. ie stepping/sitting/closing the door on one, etc.

Izzy used to free range my room and i didn't really have to do anything different. there wasn't anything he could destroy, besides cords. actually he did destroy part of the wall paper :shock: but if I ever needed to block off stuff I'd use nic cubes and if the buns needed to be locked up i'd lock them in the spare bathroom.

Its very rare that we have people stay over, unless we have family from other areas of the country. If my friends were to stay over, they put up and shut up :lol: or they can sleep on the sofa. But its my parents house, and i have the biggest room, so if we have guests over, i might not have much say on the matter.

Im hoping their behaviour wont change too much apart from a few wees and possibly lots of stray poos as ill be moving their base to the other side of the room. But once theyve settled in, im hoping their behaviour goes back to how it is now. Im just worried about them peeing under my wardrobe as they like digging under there and i cant get under to clean it up.

Last edited:
ooo im so excited!! the fact that i may have found a solution to my bunyproofing issue is great!

So far, mine havent chewed my skirting boards or gone to town on my carpet (apart from a tiny bit by my door, but that could well have already been loose!)

Is there anything i need to know about free range buns? As in what to expect from them to begin with. I just hope they dont poo in places i cant get to and continue to use their litter tray.

Will rewarding them everytime they sit in their tray help keep them trained?

ETA: And how did you go about stopping your peeing issue Schuette? I dont really want to have to put tarp on my bed. Its still my room, not ALL theirs :lol:

:lol: The ramp helped greatly as part of it was Mischa not able to get down. Not sure why they did it this morning. It was at the foot end the opposite side to the ramp so either they've had a little strop at the room change OR it was Mischa and I was laying so he couldn't get to the ramp.

I don't like using the tarp either. They rarely wee when I'm not in bed, usually it's when I'm in bed so a tarp doesn't help anyway. Some of it was where I got up and immediately fed them so going out of the room, doing something and then coming back in helped to solve that. (ETA. At the moment I'm using a thinner single duvet that I can fit in the washing machine and then a fleece on top to add warmth and to trap any furs. I do have a thicker duvet but this one has to go to the laundrette and with the fleece I get too hot anyway :oops:)

I am in the future thinking of getting a new bed. A more stable one, so they can go under (my bed has collapsed in the past so I don't like letting them underneath), in which case I might try to get a higher one but I bet they'll still be able to jump up, especially Mini. I think when they fixed her hip they put in a bionic one or something :shock:

The only time I find poos out of the tray with the lops it's either where they've slept and been too lazy to go to the tray or it's right by the tray and they've come out when they've jumped out. My lions are a bit more territorial and poo mark round the edges if they smell the lops.

Last edited:
I think im going to have to have a think. I have all sorts of thoughts and ideas whirling around in my head. Might have to compose a list (i have a compulsion to make lists!! :oops: :lol:) of questions to put in one thread as i get confused when i ask questions here, there and everywhere. :roll:

I think im going to have to have a think. I have all sorts of thoughts and ideas whirling around in my head. Might have to compose a list (i have a compulsion to make lists!! :oops: :lol:) of questions to put in one thread as i get confused when i ask questions here, there and everywhere. :roll:

I have a compulsion with lists too :oops:

Back