• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting rabbits used to the car

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
My two get a little stressed during car journeys, it's a 20 min journey to my vets and although they seem fine when we get there I occasionally get some excess cecos the next morning.
Anyway, how can I get them used to the car, the quite like the box and will play in it if I take the door of and leave it in the run so that isn't a problem :)

The best way to get them used to the car is just to simply keep going with it. Pop them in the carrier with their favourite treats and try short journey's at first. Go for a drive for 5 mins, then bring them home and give them lots of hugs and attention. Keep upping the car time 'till they seem happier.
Make sure they have lots of their favourite treats though and it should make things easier for them :D

The best way to get them used to the car is just to simply keep going with it. Pop them in the carrier with their favourite treats and try short journey's at first. Go for a drive for 5 mins, then bring them home and give them lots of hugs and attention. Keep upping the car time 'till they seem happier.
Make sure they have lots of their favourite treats though and it should make things easier for them :D

That's what I did for Izzy. At the time I didn't know that buns thought car rides as stressful. i'd bring him in the car a lot during certain times (like I'd do it for a couple months, then stop for months) when he was young and even in pet stores (with his little shirt on which people thought was adorable). He got used to the car though and even after 3-4 years of not riding in the car he was completely calm when i took him to get neutered, which surprised me.

Back