• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calling Indoor Bunny Mummys & Daddys! Conservatory Questions!

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Do any of you have your buns in a conservatory as their 'area'?

We are looking at moving this year to a larger property and ideally we would like a conservatory, just for the buns :wave:

If you do have a setup for this, please could you describe your setup and post pictures where possible ?

Thanks in advance guys and gals :wave:

Last edited:
No I don't have a conservatory, but I hate it when people read and run!

You have some very pampered buns :)

:roll::wave:

Louie's base is the conservatory, but it leads directly into the kitchen, no door, so I suppose that's no good! :lol::lol:

Louie's base is the conservatory, but it leads directly into the kitchen, no door, so I suppose that's no good! :lol::lol:

Would you be able to show anyway *lily* ? Just trying to put ideas in my head for when we got 'viewing'. :)

Obviously if you dont want to, thats fine :)

I think Louie is completley freerange all the time Gray, :wave:

I was thinking of getting a conservatory in case I have a baby and need to move my bunnikins :D

I don't have house bunnnies, but I would worry about the rabbits overheating in the summer :? Unless they have acess to another room so they can choose to get away from the heat

:(

There was me thinking i had an awesome idea and its now all gone out of the Window :(

Back to the drawing board i suppose.

:cry:

All the conservatorys I know get very hot in the summer - too hot for buns I would have thought.

Only if they have a glass roof :wave:
If you dont have a glass roof the room shouldnt get too hot :)
My dad wants to build us one this year... But its not for the bunnies :( :lol:

You can get an extension that isn't a conservatory. Why not get a lean-to or a simple attached shed set up?

Sorry, i didnt describe it very well - it'll be a rented house we move into, as i can in no way afford a deposit after losing £17k on the last one :(

So just whatever i find.

My two indoor buns don't live in the conservatory (they free range in the adjoining room), but we do give them access to it when we are in and if the temperature isn't too warm. Our conservatory gets very hot in the summer. We have an aircon unit in there, but in the height of summer even that struggles to keep the temperature down.

My two love the conservatory, especially the very tasty cane furniture. :roll: :lol:

Loxxy is in the conservatory atm, but she'll be going outside when its warmer. I basically built a little platform for her using some MDF from Homebase offcuts for £2, covered it in carpet which my dad gave me, and stuck some legs on it. She sleeps on top of that most of the time. Underneath the platform she usually has a fruit box from the supermarket which she chews to pieces. I have also actually now made a second platform for the other side so that she can jump onto/off of the window ledge without hurting herself, so she has platforms both sides, basically, a litter box which she uses very well, and stuff to play with scattered around. It would be too hot for her in the summer, even though its not a south facing garden, and I like her being outside so, to be honest, I can't wait for her to move back out (for her own benefit, not mine I mean). The flooring is carpet tiles and as she is well behaved, she's fine on carpet, but there is lino underneath the tiles.

02_Loxxy.jpg

03_Loxxy.jpg

04_Loxxy.jpg

Yeah I'd be concerned about the heat in a consevatory to be honest, even with an air con unit. Our sitting room is south facing and has floor to ceiling french windows and even that room gets too hot for the buns in summer with the curtains shut.

We looked at buying this gorgeous house in Lymington earlier this year but the only room with room for the bunnies was this conservatory, it had automatic windows and blinds etc but in the end we decided it was just too risky and would get too hot, one of the reasons we didn't buy the place. Great for winter but not so good for summer sadly.

Definately back to the drawing boards.

Thanks for stopping me from making a big mistake guys! :wave:

My buns live in the conservatory at the moment, but free range in the living room and dining room in the day/evening. It was only meant to be temporary while they acclimatised to not living in the pet shop, but Frankie became extremely poorly after 2 weeks, so they stayed a bit longer, and then the weather got really cold, so they stayed in, and they are here till later in the year now, when I embark on my aviary project.

Once Frankie got ill I put in an oil filled radiator to keep her warm, as otherwise the conservatory is almost as cold as outside, they would no way be able to live in there in summer as it gets like an oven in there. The roof is perspex/plastic, and is a real sun trap. It takes ages to cool down aswell.

I'll miss them when they are outside, but not miss the weeing on the carpet, I didn't think it would stain, but it has. Bright orange on a huge piece of cream carpet. I won't be popular when all the xmas bits get moved to reveal their artwork :?

It's always a setback when you have a good idea and it doesn't work out. Hope you find another soon xx

:wave:

Why not have buns inside for winter & outside during summer Graham?

Im sure theyd love sleeping out under the stars in the summer months! :D

:wave:

Why not have buns inside for winter & outside during summer Graham?

Im sure theyd love sleeping out under the stars in the summer months! :D

Selfishly, i really don't want them outside :oops:

Infact maybe not so selfish, Ginger's respiratory issues mean i need to keep an eye on her all day and i can't do that if they are outside. On top of that, i have barely any garden space as its a rented house im in currently so i can't 'build' anything really.

Couldnt have them outside, it just wouldn't feel right.

I house my rabbits in a conservatory in a rented house and it's been OK. I think it really depends on the individual conservatory. I don't have too much trouble with over-heating in summer as the back yard doesn't face south and it is shaded for most of the day. If I'm concerned on a warm day I have in the past put wire mesh over the windows so that I can leave them open. However, I've found my best option is that I can open windows between the kitchen an the conservatory and our house is so cool that is acts as a huge heat sink.

My biggest problem is with condensation as ours is an unheated conservatory with the door opening on to the kitchen. I have to make sure I air it regularly, and I have a de-humidifier that I run from time to time.

Finally, I also have an indoor cage set up which the buns use as a litter tray when they run through the rest of the house in the evenings. So if I have any climate worries, they are quite happy to be relocated in to this with a nic-cube run for the duration of any adverse weather.

I wouldn't rule the idea out Gray - it depends which direction the room faces, what's on the floor, the roof, if it has solar fans, lots of opening top windows etc. :wave:

Back