• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I dont know whats best

stranger23

Mama Doe
Well here everything is going wrong starting a new year the worse way ever, our set up is, me, my partner and our 2 kids live in a 3 story house with a house mate who pays a third of the rent and the gas electric and water bill and helps with food money, which all sounds quite good until he did something stupid and quit his job he managed to get something through agency but has now been sacked from that job and has nothing else to go to, this leaves us in the **** as we cant afford to cover all the bills our selfs, i also have a feeling that our house mate is leaving to move back in with his parents without telling us as he keeps going over to stay for a few nights takes stuff over with him then doesnt bring it back, anyway to get to the dilemma, i have a lot of animals and i dont know what is going to happen if we cant afford to live, should i plan ahead thinking were not going to be able to stay here and cant afford somewhere else and think about re homing some of my babies or do i just hope for the best and believe everyone thats saying it will all be fine and things will get better? I dont want any of my animals to suffer due to me not wanting to face facts and i dont want to wait until were really at the point of no return and have to rehome quickly and not be able to check that they will be going to great new homes, but then i dont want to have to rehome any of my babies as i love them all i feel so angry that our housemate has left us in this situation by making a silly mistake sorry if this doesnt make sense i just cant think straight at the mo :cry:

what an :censored:
you need to talk to your housemate and tell him to be honest with you.
i would say to be on the safe side have plans if the worst happens.
i hope everything turns out ok x

I definitely think you need to talk to your housemate, but if he moves out, could you look for another housemate?

We have told him he needs to be honest with us even if its embarrassing as we have 2 young kids to think about, in the last 2 months he has started lying loads, he quit his job because he thought they were going to sack him due to all the time he has off and he had just been in hospital for a week (he is diabetic and cant manage it very well) the company couldnt have sacked him at all as he had a sick note and they took him on knowing about his diabetes but after he handed in his notice they wouldnt let him withdraw it, he then told us he had a job already lined up the date for him to start came and went then he informed us that the job "fell thru" but we believe it never existed he then said he had another guaranteed, but he wouldnt give any details about the job and said he had only had a phone interview, then he got a job with an agency but withing the first week had 2 days off sick then turned up to work drunk surprisingly the next day he got sacked and now he isnt even trying to get another job, if we try and talk to him about it or anything really he will say a few lines like he has practised them like " ive got this thing to look into" then will run away and hide in his bedroom we never get anything from him.

we only managed to get the house because of him as we needed a guarantor and the house is in my partners and our housemates name so we cant just get rid of him and get someone else

Can't you serve him notice to leave so you can start looking for someone else. That takes the decision out of his hands then.

Oops just noticed the previous post - that's awkward!

if we were in a position to we would move but we dont have any money at the mo to be able to move house, and with our housemate not giving us the money he used to we are now trying to cover the bills and school expenses and all the food and bedding for the animals, i am trying to get a job as i currently stay at home and look after our youngest but as i have been out of work for 5 years and didnt work much before that im not very employable i am trying to get on an apprenticeship so i can learn and work at the same time but there just are no jobs about that i can do or can get to

if we were in a position to we would move but we dont have any money at the mo to be able to move house, and with our housemate not giving us the money he used to we are now trying to cover the bills and school expenses and all the food and bedding for the animals, i am trying to get a job as i currently stay at home and look after our youngest but as i have been out of work for 5 years and didnt work much before that im not very employable i am trying to get on an apprenticeship so i can learn and work at the same time but there just are no jobs about that i can do or can get to

You need to take the contracts that were signed and find out where you legally stand with regards to the contract, if he leaves and you were to get another housemate (might be complicated, but might be possible), if he has to pay X amount, etc.

if he goes we would have to pay him his half of the deposit we all put down which is not something we are in a position to do at all and if we were in a position to do that we dont know if the landlords will give us our deposit back when we leave the house anyway, he also has hold of the tenancy agreement and we cant think of a reason to ask for it without alerting him that we think he might be leaving if that makes sense

Back