• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To risk speying or not?

Spey or not

• Total voters

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Hi

I've got a bunny in that sustained a crushed cervical fracture (in her previous home) and was completely flaccid in all four limb and from the neck down. She did recover but she had to have her bladder and bowel manually emptied for a period of time before she got her moevement back. On x-ray the injury turned out to be a spinal shock as opposed to severance of the spinal cord and she has completely regained all function except for the right front pay which has a very slight paw drop.

Now my vet has said that the spacing between the discs are quite small and said there is no reason not to spey, however when they're under GA they're on their backs and manipulated quite a bit and although he would do her it would probably be best not to if we can.

What would you do, I obviously have to get her ready for rehoming but I don't want to put her under any risk having the neuter (I did that once before with joey and don't want to go through that again if I can help it)?

What time scale are we looking at?

Would it be possible to rehome her to a proven good home, with a neutered male or as a single house bunny?

Nope I wouldn't go against veterinary advice though, if they are in no doubt she is as safe as any other bun I would, if there is a big risk of it not being in her best interests I wouldn't risk it.

Sky O It's not the breeding from her I would worry about, all the homes I find for them are trusted, it's the cancer implications that concern me.

Thanks Vicki, I think my vet is concern that the manipulation while out "could" cause problems, but he put the ball in my court :shock:, but I would feel terrible if it did more damage.

Sorry, wasn't trying to imply that you don't find trusted homes.

I personally would probably not do it right now and reassess continually in the future, the best thing to do make change, either as she gets fitter or as she gets older.

You can always change your mind if you delay it, but if you choose right now to get it done and it goes wrong, you can't change your mind.

Thank you, yeah will probably be best not to do it, just hope she doesn't get uterine problems :(

Sky O It's not the breeding from her I would worry about, all the homes I find for them are trusted, it's the cancer implications that concern me.

Thanks Vicki, I think my vet is concern that the manipulation while out "could" cause problems, but he put the ball in my court :shock:, but I would feel terrible if it did more damage.

Yes sadly they have to cover themselves in this type of thing, I personally wouldn't risk it, I know there are unneutered doe's bonded with neutered males and personally I would let her take her chances, fingers crossed she won't get uterine probs later on, I'm a coward though and wouldn't forgive myself if she did die and it was preventable. When the odds are in favour of a positive outcome it makes it much easier, maybe Hugo's There Liz is better placed to advise than me because I am a wimp like that.:wave:

Im sorry I cant advise except to say I agree - if there is a risk of her being affected I probably wouldnt and then have another think later...how old is she?

Didnt want to read & run - so bless you for being so amazing....she is a very lucky special bunny:love:

Back