• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what would you do?

What would you do?

• Stay home

Votes: 24 85.7%
  • Go out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go out and Go home during the day e.g at breaks

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
If your rabbit was ill and you were the only one that could offer care for the rabbit but you had work/college or something else would you stay home to look after your rabbit?

Stay home and/or take bunny to vets as required.

There isn't any other answer in my opinion.

Well I had this when Mischa was ill and I was at college - I stayed home - most of his illness was in the holidays though. There was one day I went out and Dad took care of him (cos I'd made arrangements to go to Silverstone testing with friends but I would've called this off if Dad hadn't been around)

Stay home. I have done. I phoned in once and told work a close family member was seriously ill - my buns are part of the family and mean a hell of a lot more to me than some people.

I've taken several days off work in the past to care for poorly buns.
Luckily I no longer work....so this time Blue was ill I was at home all day. A good thing considering the level of care he needed *(syringe feeding ever 2 hours and forced movement. Oh...and injecting every 8 hours)

well i have been staying off but lola hasnt been home shes been kept in at the vets, she is part of the family and if i was at college i would end up seriously hurting myself or someone else as i was so worried i couldnt think straight. I have been told when she does come home she needs to be watched and looked after for a good week, counting poops, watching water levels, food intake, how much she is sleeping ect so im going to have to stay off college as non of my family "understand" rabbits and how they work:?

I've continued to work but am a community worker so just made sure I popped home in between each client to check on bun or I've 'phoned my Manager to explain I have a poorly bun and won't be coming in to work, depending on the illness and vet advice.

I am fortunate that my job is local to where I live and my hours are flexible. If I didn't have the freedom to come home regularly and check on a sick bun I would have taken the day off.

I trust my vet and would follow his advice and my own instincts but err on the side of caution every time.

I go home at lunchtime if I've got a bun in stasis.

I very much wish I could stay home every time I have a poorly bun, but I run a sanctuary that takes in sick rabbits, so I'd need to be throwing sickies all the time...and would probably end up losing my job!

TBH I don't do the 2 hourly syringe feeds anyway, I tend to do about 4 feeds per day but feed slightly more at each feed. I always do medicine immediately before a feed, and sub-cut fluids after, so the bunny isn't being distressed too much by constant handling throughout the day.

well i have been staying off but lola hasnt been home shes been kept in at the vets, she is part of the family and if i was at college i would end up seriously hurting myself or someone else as i was so worried i couldnt think straight. I have been told when she does come home she needs to be watched and looked after for a good week, counting poops, watching water levels, food intake, how much she is sleeping ect so im going to have to stay off college as non of my family "understand" rabbits and how they work:?

What do you do at college? I was quite fortunate in that my course was largely work I could do at home. Could you have a chat with your tutors?

without a doubt stay home. they rely on you and no one can look after my pets like i can. i have taken a lot of emergency hols to look after my sick pets. i even stayed home to look after my male bun after his partner died as he was pineing!
they come first every time.:)

i am a nurse so i cant just take a day off work to look after my buns, but luckily the children i care for go to school in the daytime so id be able to come home during the day to give care if needed. I'd have to decide whenever it happens, might be i can get a friend to see to them or get them to the vets.

I had a really big day at work when I was filming a documentary in Leicester and just HAD to be there. I got up at 6am in the morning, checked on the buns and saw that Ralph had gone into stasis. I went straight to the vets and paid them to syringe feed him all day then picked him up on my way back from work.

On an ordinary day at work, I got up in the morning to find that Ruby had gone into stasis, and I took her to work in a carrier, sat her on my lap for the entire day and syringe fed her.

76492_743258058343_61200136_45193725_2898809_n.jpg

I am lucky that I can be home most of the time. If I had to be away and things couldn't be re-arranged I would ask if the bunny could be booked in for the day at the vets for proper care.

Back