• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Food change over for Flopsy... Advice??

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
One of our 2 rescue buns isn't eating too much and at 300g underweight, it's a bit worrying.
He's eating veg fine and seems very alert and awake. He had a full vet check last week and apart from being underweight, his general health was fine.
Now, before we got him and Hermy they weren't treated too well (Previous owner even saying that they didn't like veg :?) and I pressume they were on muesli and there was no mention of pellets ever being given to them.
I was thinking of buying Flopsy some muesli today. I know it's not ideal and I wouldn't consider it if he was eating fine but I'm thinking the pellets are the problem, maybe he just doesn't like them?
Advice on this would be great :)

One of our 2 rescue buns isn't eating too much and at 300g underweight, it's a bit worrying.
He's eating veg fine and seems very alert and awake. He had a full vet check last week and apart from being underweight, his general health was fine.
Now, before we got him and Hermy they weren't treated too well (Previous owner even saying that they didn't like veg :?) and I pressume they were on muesli and there was no mention of pellets ever being given to them.
I was thinking of buying Flopsy some muesli today. I know it's not ideal and I wouldn't consider it if he was eating fine but I'm thinking the pellets are the problem, maybe he just doesn't like them?
Advice on this would be great :)

I'd totally agree with getting some 'mix' to get him eating again then slowly perform a change over across ~2 weeks at least once he's eating it again.

Is there anyway you can ask the previous owner what he was on?

He won't know pellets are food straight away, so think it'll have to be quite gradual.

I'd totally agree with getting some 'mix' to get him eating again then slowly perform a change over across ~2 weeks at least once he's eating it again.

Is there anyway you can ask the previous owner what he was on?

He won't know pellets are food straight away, so think it'll have to be quite gradual.

No way of asking I'm afraid :( Karen from Ru picked them up and they gave her limited info as it was, dodging most questions. They have since gone off of Preloved as I did send them a message and recieved no reply.
If you agree with getting him some 'mix', I'll pop out and get him some today :) Any recommendations of the best 'mix' to get him???

Thanks for the speedy reply!

x

No way of asking I'm afraid :( Karen from Ru picked them up and they gave her limited info as it was, dodging most questions. They have since gone off of Preloved as I did send them a message and recieved no reply.
If you agree with getting him some 'mix', I'll pop out and get him some today :) Any recommendations of the best 'mix' to get him???

Thanks for the speedy reply!

x

Shame, have you tried a small amount of porridge oats, i know some people here use that to get underweight buns to put weight on, but i'd wait for people to answer other than me as i have no idea really, just voicing out loud my thoughts.

Afraid not, i absolutely detest mix feeds, due to the selective eating etc as im sure you do.

I know a cheapish one is 'Wagg' though which you can get from most supermarkets. Might do the job as its only going to be until you can get his weight up and move him to pellets?

Shame, have you tried a small amount of porridge oats, i know some people here use that to get underweight buns to put weight on, but i'd wait for people to answer other than me as i have no idea really, just voicing out loud my thoughts.

Afraid not, i absolutely detest mix feeds, due to the selective eating etc as im sure you do.

I know a cheapish one is 'Wagg' though which you can get from most supermarkets. Might do the job as its only going to be until you can get his weight up and move him to pellets?

Hmmm... Would never have thought of porridge oats! Shall see if someone comes along with more advice on that ie. how to give it to them etc.

I detest mix feeds too, never ever fed them to a bun which is why I have absolutely no idea! Is it wrong that I don't want to go for a cheap brand either? Lol... Sorry, sounds very snobbish of me but I do just want to give him the best, even if it is just the best of the mix feeds!

Shall possibly have to do some googling to see about mix feeds then... Thank you so much for your advice though! It's always lovely to get such speedy and helpful replies :D

Hmmm... Would never have thought of porridge oats! Shall see if someone comes along with more advice on that ie. how to give it to them etc.

I detest mix feeds too, never ever fed them to a bun which is why I have absolutely no idea! Is it wrong that I don't want to go for a cheap brand either? Lol... Sorry, sounds very snobbish of me but I do just want to give him the best, even if it is just the best of the mix feeds!

Shall possibly have to do some googling to see about mix feeds then... Thank you so much for your advice though! It's always lovely to get such speedy and helpful replies :D

I tend to sit on RU from 8am -> 5pm as i work from home and have RU open on a 2nd monitor all day long lol.

Wagg seems to be a very common one, lots of people use it unfortunately and i beleive they do their own pellets also :)

Asda certainly sell it.

I wouldnt bother getting 'the best' mix as all mixes are much of a muchness i believe.

What pellets are you using? Problem is some buns can be picky - Oidhche didn't like the old pellets we had (Excel maybe, I'm not sure) but she goes nuts for Science Selective. I'd avoid putting him onto the mix if you can because as Graham mentioned they can selective feed. Does he eat no pellets at all? Were his teeth checked at the vets?

What is he like with hay? If he eats lots of hay I'd be tempted to leave him with that and fresh veg for the time being, but as he's underweight he could probably do with the mix. It just means you'd need to gradually change him back to pellets.

As said porridge oats are very good for adding weight, make them up with water first so you get a better idea of the quantity. I've also mashed fruit into it for poorly buns, banana goes down particularly well. :)

Back