• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Diarrhea!!!!!

Trixielover

Mama Doe
I'm not sure whats happening!!!:shock: I went to clean my bunny out this morning (+ feed her) and everything was fine!:) But when I checked her bum for poos she had loads of smudgey ones stuck to her!!! We took her inside on a towel, got some warm water and a cloth and got some out. Then when I was just finishing cleaning out, I saw like a bar of sticky smudgey poos!!! I've only had her a few days but she's acting fine!!!!

I'm not sure whats happening!!!:shock: I went to clean my bunny out this morning (+ feed her) and everything was fine!:) But when I checked her bum for poos she had loads of smudgey ones stuck to her!!! We took her inside on a towel, got some warm water and a cloth and got some out. Then when I was just finishing cleaning out, I saw like a bar of sticky smudgey poos!!! I've only had her a few days but she's acting fine!!!!

Okay, firstly, keep calm.

It's possible its not diarrhoea - but just caecotrophs stuck to her.

A few questions;

a) how old is she?
b) what is she being fed on? (pellets/mix/veg etc)
c) has she been eating/drinking okay?

Sounds suspiciously like caeco material, but if you are at all concerned, please call a vet and make an appointment for this morning for a vet to check her.

A rabbit with diarrhoea is a very poorly rabbit.

Rabbits can go downhill *very* quickly if she is unwell, so please, if you call a vet make it the earliest possible appointment.

It's very difficult for us to know exactly what it is as we can't see your bunny.

Many people think that buns can have diarrhea but that's not quite the case...
What food is she on at the moment? What food was she on before you got her?
Any changes in buns poops should be monitored very, very closely as it can be the start of more serious problems.
If you're saying she's fine, I'm guessing she's alert etc?
Has she got a plentiful supply of hay?

Meghanne xxx

True diarrhoea in rabbits is watery. It sounds like excess cecals which can be a sign of dental problems so a vet check is an idea. If there is no issues there then it'll be diet and we can help you get the diet right to reduce them.

My Mini has a tendency towards 'sticky bottom' (when excess and malformed cecals get stuck to the bottom) and with the correct diet we've almost entirely got rid of it.

True diarrhoea in rabbits is watery. It sounds like excess cecals which can be a sign of dental problems so a vet check is an idea. If there is no issues there then it'll be diet and we can help you get the diet right to reduce them.

My Mini has a tendency towards 'sticky bottom' (when excess and malformed cecals get stuck to the bottom) and with the correct diet we've almost entirely got rid of it.

This.

It does not sound like diarrhoea but malformed excess caecotrophs stuck to bunny's rear. There can be many underlying health reasons causing this, or it could simply be diet alone exacerbated by stress. A vet check up is crucial to rule out the first, diet change can help with the latter.

How old is your rabbit?

Since you mentioned that you have just got her, it could be stress which is causing excess cecals.

A check-up at the vet would be the best plan to rule out a health problem though.

This.

It does not sound like diarrhoea but malformed excess caecotrophs stuck to bunny's rear. There can be many underlying health reasons causing this, or it could simply be diet alone exacerbated by stress. A vet check up is crucial to rule out the first, diet change can help with the latter.

i agree, its probrably due to being in a new home and the stress etc, have you tried changing her diet at all, this can also cause problems etc, as she;s still a baby also i wouldn;t give any veggies etc not sure if you are or not

what feed is she on at the moment? and if you do decide to change feeds do it grqadually over a 1-2week period

hopefully, she's just going through a "settling down" process
i'm also thinking it's stress due to the car journey, change of surroundings, diet change etc.

Back