• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My baby Alfie still isn't eating :(

kirst25

Alpha Buck
Just been checking on him and he just nudging everything away,I'm sure he ate a pellet but he isnt even going crazy when he hears me coming with food but he's not cold or grinding his teeth to say he's in pain,I'm ringin vets in the morn coz my OH would not drive us to the vets now

Just been checking on him and he just nudging everything away,I'm sure he ate a pellet but he isnt even going crazy when he hears me coming with food but he's not cold or grinding his teeth to say he's in pain,I'm ringin vets in the morn coz my OH would not drive us to the vets now

Hope you get him sorted tommorow at the vets hun. Sending lots of vibes for him to get better xx

Hope vets get to the bottom of it. Sounds like GI issues, lots of those lately :(

How long since he's eaten Kirsty? Has he had any output (poops)?

ETA: when he goes to the vets, i expect he'll need fluids (under the skin, subcut), metacam and a gut stimulant.

Poor Alfie.

Last edited:
Good luck at the vets! Get some CC down him :) works a treat for any of my buns who are refusing to eat! Lots of vibes xx

He last ate last night which was some carrot,I think he has had a small output,were going to the vets for 10.20 I was crying myself to sleep last night but dint get much sleep...just feel hopeless

He last ate last night which was some carrot,I think he has had a small output,were going to the vets for 10.20 I was crying myself to sleep last night but dint get much sleep...just feel hopeless

His teeth should be checked also, as they may be too sore for him to eat with.

I really hope vets can help :wave:

Thanks :) Sophie is sensing something because she won't leave his side :(

Ginger did that when Biccy had his own GI issues a few weeks back. She would NOT move from his side. Then when we got home and he was quiet, she was the same. She was like a big fluffy hot water bottle for him. He took great comfort from her being there, im sure of it.

Mischa did that when Mini hurt her hip too. He'd sit with her protecting her. :) Hope Alfie's ok.

sending loads of vibes and warm thoughts to you both - let us know how you get on

sounds like things have slowed down for him but perhaps not to a total stop - fingers crossed

definitely mention to the vets how long it is since he's had a drink too

what people have said so far sounds good to me, gut stimulant, fluids, pain relief, get teeth checked etc

good luck x

Ginger did that when Biccy had his own GI issues a few weeks back. She would NOT move from his side. Then when we got home and he was quiet, she was the same. She was like a big fluffy hot water bottle for him. He took great comfort from her being there, im sure of it.

duke deserted daisy when we lost her :(

we think he has such strong natural instincts that he knew something was wrong and so the instinct to not be near another sick animal kicked in - he was obviously lonely so we know he missed her though. was VERY sad :(

keep trying to tempt him with some of his faves foods until you get to the vet and pack their carry case with loads of hay to keep him comfy (well i do that anyway :oops:)

if you can soak any of the foods in water that you tempt with him that would be great just to try and get some fluid into him too :)

It's stasis :( he's had gut stimulant and pain relief and I
To give him pineapple juice twice a day and fibreplex 3 times a day and if he doesn't eat by tomorrow then I'm to take him back

ok - well its been caught nice and early and sounds like you are doing everything you can for him :)

the meds will kick in and hopefully everything will be fine, did the vet say to keep tempting him with foods?

(id probably get up during the night tonight as well to check on him)

Try lots of piles of different food. When Smudge goes into stasis my room gets covered in different types of hay and greens and all sorts. I normally do a pile of oat hay, a pile of timothy hay, parsley strewn around, a pile of dried weeds, a pile of readigrass. Nutmeg has a field day with it all. :lol::lol:

Back