• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lilly bit me :(

xkaytix

Warren Scout
Lilly bit me today :(. She has been nipping Peanut too but never as hard as she bit me today. She ripped my leggings and drew blood :(. She's been checked for her eyes and teeth and had a full check up only a couple of weeks ago. She's always been like this since day one and it appears to be worse when she is confident in her surroundings. It stopped when she was first bonded with Peanut but she has been with him a couple of months now. She does not hurt Peanut when she nips him and he has no marks on him whatsoever and only pulled fur once.

Today really has been a bad day :(

If she does it in her surroundings, i would say it could be a territorial thing, maybe she doesn`t like you in her space.
My rabbit misty has sunk her teeth into my hand a few times when I`v put my hand in the hutch to tidy things up. I`v now learnt that she just doesn`t like me touching her stuff :roll:

I'm so sorry, that must have been awful for you. How old is she? Has she recently been spayed? She might have a little bit of hormone or territoriality or she might just be acting out and pushing her boundaries (like kids do!).

We're not quite sure how old she is. She was found as a stray and the vet said that when they neutered her they found some aged tissue and thought that she was 5+. That was 18 months ago so I would say that she is at least 6 1/2.

have you tried "time out" with her? its easier if shes an indoor bun but it can work too outside...we have done the "time out"thing with one of our buns as when we got her she used to bite..
when shes bad put her in the naughty corner..maybe a cardboard box or something for a min or two..and say "NO" loudly to her before putting her in the box. it worked really well with our bun.. we put her in a dog crate for a min and she soon learnt biting wasnt a nice thing to do..
another thing you could try is squealing when she bites... this teaches her its not accepted..;)

have you tried "time out" with her? its easier if shes an indoor bun but it can work too outside...we have done the "time out"thing with one of our buns as when we got her she used to bite..
when shes bad put her in the naughty corner..maybe a cardboard box or something for a min or two..and say "NO" loudly to her before putting her in the box. it worked really well with our bun.. we put her in a dog crate for a min and she soon learnt biting wasnt a nice thing to do..
another thing you could try is squealing when she bites... this teaches her its not accepted..;)

Good idea! I did squeal when she bit and she just gave me a 'not bothered' look. We've also given Peanut a box to jump onto that Lilly can't reach if he needs some time away. Will try the time out box. Especially as she is easy to pick up and handle (again really odd). Peanut is gentle but causes a right fuss if handled!

Smudge is like that too, he is a housebun in my room at the moment i brought him in over winter. I have had serious problems with him biting me and members of my family (he was neutered 8 months ago). For Smudge it is more territorial and generally he is just aggressive if you move something near him he goes crazy and attacks it biting it and i am very wary of him now and its horrible.

I dont know what to suggest i tell him and put him back in his cage, Smudge is the boss he stopped grooming me and just demands me to groom him. I think showing fear makes it worse as it makes them think it is ok and they can get away with it (sounds like talking about kids lol).

I just wanted to post so you knew you were not alone. Good luck :wave:

Thank you all.

Yes I think she is very territorial. It is odd though as she has never bitten as hard as that and it has always just been a small nip before. Will monitor it though and keep a close eye on her. Plus will be wearing my wellies into their shed!

How is her vision? Some buns with poor sight will snap out of defensiveness and I guess as she is quite an old girl diminishing sight is a possibility xxx

Back