• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm a bad bunny mummy :o( but I love them so much :o(

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
I feel terrible at the moment, I'm starting to think I shouldn't have got my bunnies at all :eek:( I moved in with my OH in July, into his house with his cat. I was desperate to get two bunnies as I love them so much, and I thought the cat would be ok as she is very soft and doesn't go after other animals. My bunnies started off living in the same cage as they are brother and sister, but we had to separate them when olly started getting horny... Anyway, to cut a long story short, we introduced them to the cat but she couldn't be trusted not to chase them, as she ran after olly and we didn't want to risk it after that. So now olly and honey are still in separate cages, and can only come out when the cat is either outside or upstairs asleep, which isn't very often at all :( I know they don't have enough space when they are in their cages and I hate myself for it, but as soon as the cat miaows to come in the room my OH feels sorry for her and has to let her in :( like I said, if bunnies could make noise they'd be crying to come out too! I love them so much and want them to be happy, but it would break my heart to let someone else have them :cry: just don't know what I can do :(

Are they spayed/neutered?

Why not attach a pen around the cages? This is what we used to do, or block off an area for them, maybe pegging a sheet or something over the top.

Or move them elsewhere in the house for runtime?

Olly has been neutered, about 5 weeks ago, but can't really put them back together til honey's been done in case her hormones kick in and she gets aggressive. Can't get her done til feb when she's 6 months, as my vet won't do it til then. When they were together we had a covered playpen in the lounge for them, but my OH wasn't happy with that set up as it took over half the lounge and it's not a big one! He likes things to look nice :( but I don't give a **** what it looks like as long as my buns can have their exercise. We moved them into the spare room upstairs for Xmas, as we had lots of people round, but that room is tiny, and of course they had to take turns to come out of their cage as olly is still fertile :( now olly is back in the lounge and honey is in the hall. Just wish we didn't have a cat! Although she's 13 now...

Olly has been neutered, about 5 weeks ago, but can't really put them back together til honey's been done in case her hormones kick in and she gets aggressive. Can't get her done til feb when she's 6 months, as my vet won't do it til then. When they were together we had a covered playpen in the lounge for them, but my OH wasn't happy with that set up as it took over half the lounge and it's not a big one! He likes things to look nice :( but I don't give a **** what it looks like as long as my buns can have their exercise. We moved them into the spare room upstairs for Xmas, as we had lots of people round, but that room is tiny, and of course they had to take turns to come out of their cage as olly is still fertile :( now olly is back in the lounge and honey is in the hall. Just wish we didn't have a cat! Although she's 13 now...

aww poor cat :( maybe once she gets spayed everything will calm down plus you can make a pen look nice :) when my boss's dog was poorly she had to be in a pen and we decorated it to go with the room :lol:

Its not the cat's fault.

I think that you need to wait until Honey has been spayed and they have been rebonded, then reassess.

How big is the spare room?

i think you should give the cat another chance... the bunnies will soon put her straight once they have settled in. Alvin used to bite our dog to get him to move but the first month or so he was totally terrified of the dog. things will be better when the buns are reunited and the cat is no longer scaring them.. one big happy family soon :love: wont be awkward forever :D

I know it's not the cats fault, it's mine for being impatient and not being able to wait to get my bunnies :( I'd just been without any for 3 years, as it took me that long to get over losing Minnie, so when I felt ready again I just really wanted them and felt sure I could give them a good life, they certainly couldn't be loved any more! I'm in the spare room now looking at it and reckon it's only about 3.5 x 3.5 metres. Do you think when they're back together they would be better off in there, even though they wouldn't have as much contact with me?

The spare room sounds an awesome space if they were allowed in there and its safe. Is it rabbit proofable?

I think they would be fine there and you could bring them downstairs, or join them up there when you wanted to.

Mine also have access to a bunny proofed landing which brings them into contact with a lot of people, maybe that might also be an option? I also use a babygate which can work brilliantly.

There is only a bit of junk in the spare room at the minute so that would be easily moved, I just didn't think it would be big enough, the lounge is a lot bigger for binkying! Totally bunny proof though :) the only thing is, when they were up there, although I brought olly down in the pet carrier to runaround, honey wouldn't go in it, so she was stuck in there which was really frustrating:(

Back