• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

P@H Lame Adoption Excuses

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
After the recent Gloucester P@H fiasco, i popped into the Borehamwood branch. They had quite a few animals in the adoption centre:

1 russian hamster, one guinea pig and one gerbil - "owner couldn't look after me any more"

1 guinea pig "my friend died so my owners returned me, i've been alone a while so i should probably stay on my own" :censored::censored:

3 male guinea pigs "we bullied all our smaller cage mates" - so they've probably never left the store, but they're surprised that 3 nearly fully grown entire male guinea pigs don't get on :roll::roll::roll:

1 male rabbit "I was attacked my my owner's cat" :evil::evil::evil:

1 female guinea pig "i have never left the store, but i am older and been alone a while so should probably stay alone"

3 russian hamsters "we have never left the store, we'd like a home"

I guess at least the last one is honest! :roll::roll::roll:

:(

Hopefully the ones being recommended to be kept alone are picked up by knowledgeable owners, or people that research them properly.

i saw this in our P@H i try not to go in as it only gets me angry, i ended up reading out all the comments with a very dissaproving face! one bun in there "my owner could not keep me, i have been alone for a while so should be housed alone im 2" what?? casper was alone for 4 years with his previous owner.. when i got him i got him a partner and they bonded straight away :roll:

Last edited:
The lad and me were in as well today and checking out the adoption bit. I was telling him (loudly) that you had to take the stories with a pinch of salt. They didn't actually have any for sale rabbits in today there were just 4 that had sob stories. Two had been in the store t;o long and two ere part of an accidental litter apparently (probably due to rabbits being sold mis sexed by themselves).

This is very sad. :cry::cry: Those bunnies and guinea pigs will never know companionship - at least not of their own kind :( (If they ever make it out of the store anyway :roll:)

After the recent Gloucester P@H fiasco, i popped into the Borehamwood branch. They had quite a few animals in the adoption centre:

1 russian hamster, one guinea pig and one gerbil - "owner couldn't look after me any more"

1 guinea pig "my friend died so my owners returned me, i've been alone a while so i should probably stay on my own" :censored::censored:

3 male guinea pigs "we bullied all our smaller cage mates" - so they've probably never left the store, but they're surprised that 3 nearly fully grown entire male guinea pigs don't get on :roll::roll::roll:

1 male rabbit "I was attacked my my owner's cat" :evil::evil::evil:

1 female guinea pig "i have never left the store, but i am older and been alone a while so should probably stay alone"

3 russian hamsters "we have never left the store, we'd like a home"

I guess at least the last one is honest! :roll::roll::roll:

The one in Derby has started putting the buns who have not sold for a long time in the adoption centre so they can but new and younger buns out- they use the standard sentence of 'Because nobody wanted me'. There are always 3 to 4 buns in their adoption centre.

:(:(

The two rabbits in P@H yesterday were one that said 'I am a bit different from my litter mates' no sure what the hell that means. And the other said 'I have been here for a long time and not sold'. :cry:

Its not like being 16-20 weeks is really any different from 12 weeks - they could give them a bit longer before deeming them "old" and putting them in adoption :cry::cry:

Its not like being 16-20 weeks is really any different from 12 weeks - they could give them a bit longer before deeming them "old" and putting them in adoption :cry::cry:

Does it maybe have to do with them worrying about any possibility of them getting to sexual maturity, so they have to split them off at a certain point? Or do you think it is just to do with them not being small and fluffy anymore?

I went into our local branch over Christmas and was upset to see a male guinea pig there who apparently had to live alone as he had bullied his male litter mates :cry: Its so sad.

Latest from our local P@H is a boybun ..." I fell out with my brother"......
with hormones raging what else would you expect!!?

Every single bun in adoption the staff always say that they MUST be kept as a single bun and an indoor bun....easy cop-out I suppose.

When I was buying our second hutch, the girl on the till expresed amazement that our two girls didn't get on after being spayed.

Needless to say I try not to go in - did buy a couple of willow balls recently, and do use thier own brand pellets, but am very tempted to change when the current kingsize bag runs out in another couple of months.Not much alternative down here though.

That's very odd... how does the adoption center work with P@H? Is it the same as buying an animal from their store? :? Our Petsmart works with the humane society and they have a little adoption center in the store for cats/kittens that they're given from the humane society. Plus every weekend or something the humane society comes to the store and brings loads more cats. It's the same as going to the humane society, only more people will see the cats and Petsmart gets to profit from what new owners will probably buy for their new cat there (litterpan, food, etc).

Have to admit I have ethical dilemmas over the g/pigs down the road since I bought Pumpkin's new dog crate I have a very large indoor bun cage spare. Part of me wants to get them out of there but another part worries about encourage the sale of animals in such situations.

It makes me feel sad so many people seem to have bad experiences with P@H. It's a real shame as the store closest to me is incredible!
They have one girl, Sophie who looks after all the adoption animals and the letters by their little hutches are always heartfelt. She writes long notes from them, gives them names and always makes sure buns aren't on their own.
Sometimes there is the odd one or two from the sales part which do get moved to adoption if they've been there a while (almost always dutch buns) and funnily enough, they get snapped up when put in adoption.
The P@H manager is always helpful and when he heard about me taking in two rescues, he took 20% off the two hutches I had to buy and all the new food, treats and bowls I needed.
I wish every P@H was like the one I go to as I love going there and every single member of staff gives out the right advice and they have a refusal policy for anyone they think will not house a new pet properly.
It's such a shame not all stores are the same and the good ones get tarnished with the same brush as the rest :(

It makes me feel sad so many people seem to have bad experiences with P@H. It's a real shame as the store closest to me is incredible!
They have one girl, Sophie who looks after all the adoption animals and the letters by their little hutches are always heartfelt. She writes long notes from them, gives them names and always makes sure buns aren't on their own.
Sometimes there is the odd one or two from the sales part which do get moved to adoption if they've been there a while (almost always dutch buns) and funnily enough, they get snapped up when put in adoption.
The P@H manager is always helpful and when he heard about me taking in two rescues, he took 20% off the two hutches I had to buy and all the new food, treats and bowls I needed.
I wish every P@H was like the one I go to as I love going there and every single member of staff gives out the right advice and they have a refusal policy for anyone they think will not house a new pet properly.
It's such a shame not all stores are the same and the good ones get tarnished with the same brush as the rest :(

:D Sounds like what pet stores in my area are like! with chain stores it just depends on the store. Some are great, and some are horrible, all comes down to employees and managers. I've met some employees who really knew a lot about animals as well. Even my walmart takes great care of the fish. I never see a sick betta/dirty betta cups and rarely see dead fish in the other tanks.

My local one regularly has the line "I don't get on with other rabbits so must live alone" :roll::cry: When you ask... is bunny neutered the answer is 'no'. :roll:
What the hell do they expect!

I've written to HO many times over various things like this in the adoption centre and been assured that there is a good reason and my complaint taken seriously la la la etc... give up, wasted breath frankly! :evil:

Back