• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What part of the fenugreek?

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
We've got seeds here. And that's what the fenugreek crunchies have in them so I was wondering if I could just give Smoo a few seeds as a treat. :)

I'm not sure about the seeds being fed, but I buy fresh fenugreek for my buns, they get a small amount with their other food.
The stalks are quite long, I'm not sure about calcium content, so I give the head (leaves) and a little of the stem. :D

the seeds of the fenugreek contain saponins which are toxic if not cooked/boiled, they are generally ground and used for medicinal purposes, personally i would not feed them the seeds
all other parts are fine when fed in moderation and are used as part of a mixed varied diet

the seeds of the fenugreek contain saponins which are toxic if not cooked/boiled, they are generally ground and used for medicinal purposes, personally i would not feed them the seeds
all other parts are fine when fed in moderation and are used as part of a mixed varied diet

Interesting.............Do you know what the properties in Fresh fenugreek are? ie calcium and what medicinal purposes it is used for?

i have sprouted some seeds before, grown them on in a pot and esme devoured the leaves. i wouldn't give them the actual seed though. my assumption is that the crunchies we buy contain some of the dreid fenugreek leaves (just guessing tho!).

i have sprouted some seeds before, grown them on in a pot and esme devoured the leaves. i wouldn't give them the actual seed though. my assumption is that the crunchies we buy contain some of the dreid fenugreek leaves (just guessing tho!).

I would have thought so too. Well no complaints so far anyhow :lol::lol:

not sure about calcium content but the seed does contain a high amount of protein and carbohydrates making them unsuitable for bunny consumption anyway
the seeds would be mashed to a pulp and water added to make a potion/medicine/capsule but i don't know what for :shock:

try doing a google search for something like "fenugreek medicine"

i wouldn't try anything that hasn't been clinically proven though and as with all herbal medicines never use while pregnant or breastfeeding

lots of herbal remedies and plants shouldn't be used with eg. diabetics, heart complaints etc so if you decide to go into homeopathy or turn witchdoctor then check first :lol:

Back