• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question re: intermittent snotty nose & sneezing

Rykat

Mama Doe
Sorry guys, bit of a long post ;)

One of my buns is a mini lop, approx 7/8 yrs old, neutered & lives with nethie.

Approx 3 wks ago he started a fit of sneezing, there was no discharge, no wet paws, eating/drinking fine & it stopped after a few minutes.

Since then he's been doing it off & on for a minute or so & then been fine afterwards.

Took him to the vets for a check up but they could find nothing wrong, then late on 23 Dec his chest sounded very slightly crackly & there was a clear discharge with wet front paws. Took him to vets the following morning & they did a full check over, there was a very, very slight crackle with his breathing but the discharge had dried up completely so no samples could be taken, but he was put on 0.2ml baytril twice daily & he improved, but last night it started again & the discharge was a white colour, & there was a distinct smell of something from his facial area. I checked him as much as I could then OH took him to vets today, again, no discharge & no smell.

I'm REALLY confused as they checked him, his chest is fine, no discharge, no smell, teeth fine etc.

The only thing they can suggest is to get a sample of it next time it happens.

Nothing has changed, same food etc but he has lost a bit of weight over the past few months, nothing major, just slightly but I put that down to his age.

My first thought was he had snuffles but the vets don't agree as he presented with no symptoms today.

Has anyone got any idea what it could be?

My rabbit (Alfie,as you know,already)

Has a wet bottom,Paws,Snotty Nose, and can only just breathe through his nose he stands up a lot, gasping for air, It makes me feel sad.

Fortunately Dylan just has an intermittent snotty nose and doesnt struggle to breath at all or I would be camping at our vets!

Sadly Alfie is a VERY, VERY poorly bunny, I would take him back to the vets for tests or better still get a second opinion from a good rabbit experience vet as it sounds like he needs a different course of treatment as already been suggested on your post

I dont know if this is the same thing at all but we have a little bun 2/3 years old who seemed in fine health, had a falling out with his bonded bro and had to be separated, saw the vet and spent some time indoors (he had lived out previously) During this time he became a little sneezy, no other symptoms and took him for a vet check, vet thought perhaps being indoors didnt agree with him and he was bonded with other buns and went back to living out.
He is still a bit sneezy. And also a bit noisy if he gets stressed out (like when he had his VHD jab!) but my vets can find no obvious cause. They have had a listen, weighed him etc he eats fine, teeth are fine, my vets think maybe its an allergy to.. hay perhaps. Not sure. Either way they told me not to worry cos his coat is shiney, his weight is good etc.
Sorry for that ramble and not sure if it's helpful or not, just wanted to say in a round about way, perhaps it's not anything to really worry about right now if Dylan doesnt display any discomfort or other symptoms x

Back