• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often is too often?

i dont give fruit more than once or twice a week most of the time :wave:

Carrots i give 3 or 4 times a week, but a really small amount.

I give veg every night for tea but sweet things like carrots and fruit are more like once a week if that, mind you thats more because we don't buy fruit for ourselves (sometimes i do and feel quite virtuous going through the till with bags of it, then arrange it all nicely in a bowl until it goes furry then bin it :oops::lol:) but it's probably best restricted to every other day or something in small amounts i'd have thought.

Mine get something sweet about 4 times a year :lol:

ditto :shock:
i tend to go with my gut feeling and think "would they come across this in the wild?" yes occasionally and seasonally but there again they wouldn't eat a bowlful of rabbit mix if they were fending for themselves out there
you would however see them grazing for hours on several different species of plant not just one type
i think if your goin to feed them fruit, make sure it's a very small amount mixed with a few different varieties of other edibles
but that's just my opinion :D

don't feed any of those. had alot of problems with them and their tummies with anything sugary. now they just have herbs. :)

Mine get loads of treats I'm afraid :oops: Not more than 2x a week though, ever. Mine aren't big fans of carrots. Usually I'll give them a few slices of apple one day, then maybe like 1/4 slice of a pear or banana another day.
Never in large amounts though, just something yummy to nom on :wave:
And as someone mentioned above, stay away from grapes for all of your furries!

Loving the nutrition site!! x Umm.... Nearly lost a bun with flystrike once, how horrendous!! :oops: Had to start counting pellets given. I am thinking natural, moderation, lots of normal poo with clean bot - job done.x

Im bad and give mine a little piece of carrot every night :oops: its their favourite. Anything else like fruit they get on a rare occassion though

Loving the nutrition site!! x Umm.... Nearly lost a bun with flystrike once, how horrendous!! :oops: Had to start counting pellets given. I am thinking natural, moderation, lots of normal poo with clean bot - job done.x

do you mean this nutrition site? http://www.rabbitnutrition.co.uk/ if so i found it very good too! And she is lovely to speak too, put my mind at rest about growing my own food for the buns and diet! very good nutrition info! :wave:

Grapes = big no no :no: :no: - very bad for their kidneys. (same for cats, dogs, etc too btw)

Not to be doubting you as i guess you are a vet and clearly know something about the kidney effect they have but im confused and this can go for people with less knowledge more so perhaps but...

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm

The RWAF state the Grapes are a 'Safe Food' for rabbits. Why would they state this if their is evidence that Grapes can cause kidney problems? :(

I find herbs best to feed all year round-(any quantities)- even spring greens can be bad for bunnies if fed in too larger portions. I haven't had a problem with the odd carrot- (small). Apples, pear very very rarely. Grapes- never. Cucumber is a favorite (no problems with that).

there's not much in the way of nutrition contained in cucumber except for water ;)
the key here is variety. a grape given very occasionally and as part of a mixed diet will not do any harm (in my opinion)
rabbits in their own natural surroundings in the wild will graze for several hours on several different varieties of wildflower, the problems come into play when only 1 specific type of food is given and we all know that fruits are bad for buns
it's kinda like giving 5-a-day to the kids :)

:wave:Yes, this is the site i mean. I'm interested to know what food you grow, is it difficult?

thank you for the kind comments :D
i grow so many myself, most seeds are thrown into my lawn and left to grow for grazing
i also plant in flower containers but i am lucky that my garden backs out onto wasteland so i use some of that too and just go picking leaves off every plant for feeding
the best thing i find about it is that i know there are no fertilisers or other chemicals used and it sort of gives me a sense of pride to grow my own

Not to be doubting you as i guess you are a vet and clearly know something about the kidney effect they have but im confused and this can go for people with less knowledge more so perhaps but...

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm

The RWAF state the Grapes are a 'Safe Food' for rabbits. Why would they state this if their is evidence that Grapes can cause kidney problems? :(

Yeah, I always thought grapes were ok too. Alfie and Bubbles usually have one each a week. I hope I haven't broken my bunnies. :(

Back