• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

smaller and darker poos

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday I thought Spenser hadn't done as many poos and today I am sure of this. He has still done quite a lot, but they are slightly smaller and darker than usual. I don't think his diet has changed, although it is difficult to monitor his hay consumption. He was indoors for longer than usual yesterday, so don't know if this could be relevant? He drinks very little so I'm wondering if giving him more wet veg would help. :?

more hay required mummy!! i know he's fussy with it tho - have you managed to find one he likes? if so, try get him to eat as much as poss. are they hard and small or still fibrous?:mrgreen:

does he have dental probs at all?

Yesterday I thought Spenser hadn't done as many poos and today I am sure of this. He has still done quite a lot, but they are slightly smaller and darker than usual. I don't think his diet has changed, although it is difficult to monitor his hay consumption. He was indoors for longer than usual yesterday, so don't know if this could be relevant? He drinks very little so I'm wondering if giving him more wet veg would help. :?

Yes it should. Also lots of exercise. If things dont improve after tomorrow then it'd be a good idea to get him checked over by the Vet, especially his teeth xx

He has had virtually no exercise today. :( He got plenty yesterday (in the conservatory) but I was out today and am teaching for an hour shortly. We have both been a bit out of favour because I forgot to unplug a lamp and he chewed the cable. His eating has been as normal, and he definitely ate a few bits of oat hay while he was hiding under the couch yesterday.

more hay required mummy!! i know he's fussy with it tho - have you managed to find one he likes? if so, try get him to eat as much as poss. are they hard and small or still fibrous?:mrgreen:

does he have dental probs at all?

I squidged one of Spenser's poos and it was a bit rubbery - not hard but certainly not fibrous.

I had his teeth thoroughly checked in November and his vet assured me that although not perfectly aligned he had no spurs or other obvious problems. I asked about his roots, but she assured me that any problem in that department would probably show up as an abcess.

I squidged one of Spenser's poos and it was a bit rubbery - not hard but certainly not fibrous.

I had his teeth thoroughly checked in November and his vet assured me that although not perfectly aligned he had no spurs or other obvious problems. I asked about his roots, but she assured me that any problem in that department would probably show up as an abcess.

sounds horrible asking if you've squidged a poo but i know you know what i mean!

any improvement as the day's gone on?
has he had his play time?
really need to get him hay munching:? what sorts have you tried and if i have others i could send you some for him to try?

Last edited:
Get him out for some exercise this evening (if you haven't already) & try him with some more of his favorite veg. Poos can vary from day to day so I don't think you need worry too much atm - so long as its going in and coming out. Assume he's eaten his evening meal ok? :)

Get him out for some exercise this evening (if you haven't already) & try him with some more of his favorite veg. Poos can vary from day to day so I don't think you need worry too much atm - so long as its going in and coming out. Assume he's eaten his evening meal ok? :)

Given the length of time it takes to catch him I really don't think I'd be allowed to have him in tonight. I have very little kale left, and he is turning up his nose at spring greens. I do have a new sweetheart cabbage that might interest him. He's eaten some of his pellets and just devoured 2 fenugreek crunchies. I'm concerned in case this might have been triggered by the length of time he was in for yesterday.

Given the length of time it takes to catch him I really don't think I'd be allowed to have him in tonight. I have very little kale left, and he is turning up his nose at spring greens. I do have a new sweetheart cabbage that might interest him. He's eaten some of his pellets and just devoured 2 fenugreek crunchies. I'm concerned in case this might have been triggered by the length of time he was in for yesterday.

Do you mean in as in inside or in as in his hutch? I doubt that him having more exercise than usual is the cause of the poop change.

Could he go in the pen in the conservatory?

Last edited:

hope spensers ok :( casper gets small hard poops and its always his teeth :roll: although lots of things can trigger different poops, try him with some nice veg, make sure he drinks plenty and tempt him with fresh hay (i know this is very hard as casper is the same) nice run tomo and see how he goes :) just keep a close eye but you are already :) atleast spenser has a caring mummy :love: hope it was just a one off thing xx

Do you mean in as in inside or in as in his hutch?

Could he go in the pen in the conservatory?

I brought him in to the conservatory before 2pm yesterday, and although I started trying to catch him at 4pm it was after 7pm when he was finally returned to the hutch. He didn't poo at all during this time, although the previous day he had used his basin. I inadvertently forgot to move one of the lamps in the conservatory, and it has since been discovered Spenser has chewed the cable.

I brought him in to the conservatory before 2pm yesterday, and although I started trying to catch him at 4pm it was after 7pm when he was finally returned to the hutch. He didn't poo at all during this time, although the previous day he had used his basin. I inadvertently forgot to move one of the lamps in the conservatory, and it has since been discovered Spenser has chewed the cable.

He sounds more and more like Bouncer every day :roll::lol:

Both Bouncer & Paw Paws poos change from day to day and within the day too. I think so long as he's eaten this evening and he seems bright enough you really shouldn't worry. See how he is first thing. You'll probably find a pile of golden poops waiting for you in the morning :wave:

He hasn't had any readigrass at all has he? I find this makes their poos darker.

Actually he hasn't had readigrass for a few days because we keep it in the hutch and I forgot about it. I gave him a handful just before I switched on, but he wasn't interested. He is definitely off spring greens, but has eaten some finely shredded cabbage. The small pieces of carrot and cauliflower I put out last night have gone, which is odd as he normally leaves these. I will have a better look later as he has been known to hide bits of veg under his fleece blanket. He doesn't look uncomfortable at all.

Oh Dear hope Spenser is ok and sending him lots of Vibes from us all here at The Warren xx

'Come on Spenser you are worrying your Mum'

I'm afraid I have no suggestions other than lack of hay which I know he struggles with. Didn't want to read and run.

Come on Spenser!

I'm afraid I have no suggestions other than lack of hay which I know he struggles with. Didn't want to read and run.

Come on Spenser!

His hay eating has actually improved, but it's not great. He actually ate more hay than usual the day before I noticed his poo output had decreased. I know this because he ate a few pieces of oat hay out of my hand when he was hiding under the couch in the conservatory.

A decent sprinkling, still smallish and dark and nowhere near his normal output. He's had some breakfast. I have to pop out to the shops but will try and get him moving when I get back to see if that helps. I'm going to buy in all his favourite noms. :oops:

Back