• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

any way to predict colour of babies?

lilbexi

New Kit
hey,

my partner and I are hoping that our doe is pregnant. Is there any way to predict what colours the kits might be? both are netherlands, mum a grey smoke and dad a sable marten...?

Without knowing a proper genetic history you could get allsorts of colours - just depends on what recessive genes are lurking around.

hi i see you are a new kit so new to the forum you will likely find many people on this site anti breeding just wanted you to be aware it can provoke strong reactions in case you werent prepared. i hope that you are one of the more responsible breeders out there, if you have done your homework you should have the genetic history from 4 previous generations on both sides (this helps to mitigate against health problems that may be underlying) if you do then you can work out from the genes i think but the likely hood is you will still get a mixture. if you havent done much research into breeding already id like to offer a few pointers in case she is pregnant, ensure that she has plenty of hay available and has a hidey area to nest in, also ensure that you have a good rabbit vet who you can get to if there are problems during birth, ensure that you dont put the male back in with her as he could potentially hurt the babies and could also result in making her pregnant again, thus causing problems with the exsiting litter. if you havent already you need to start finding potential homes (they cant go until min 8weeks) and make sure you have homechecked them, do up a care leaflet ready to give to potential owners stating about nuetering and vaccination and common rabbit myths and illnesses also you should mention the hutch requrements by law this is now 6x2x2ft and attatched run of 6x6ft to allow plenty of space and you also need to ensure you have the temperary accomodation set up for the kits for sexing reasons after 12 weeks this needs to be of adequet size hope this helps x

If there is no messy history then you can expect siamese sables and dilute (the smoke pearl) and also the marten vatriant. You would also expect REWs.

Do you have their genetic history four generations back? What colours are in that?

Unfortunately you will probably get a lot of negative comments when discussing deliberate breeding:? Just to warn you.

I know nothing about genetics, so would have no idea what the kits' colouring would be, but you might get some random throwbacks to past generations..

hi i see you are a new kit so new to the forum you will likely find many people on this site anti breeding just wanted you to be aware it can provoke strong reactions in case you werent prepared. i hope that you are one of the more responsible breeders out there, if you have done your homework you should have the genetic history from 4 previous generations on both sides (this helps to mitigate against health problems that may be underlying) if you do then you can work out from the genes i think but the likely hood is you will still get a mixture. if you havent done much research into breeding already id like to offer a few pointers in case she is pregnant, ensure that she has plenty of hay available and has a hidey area to nest in, also ensure that you have a good rabbit vet who you can get to if there are problems during birth, ensure that you dont put the male back in with her as he could potentially hurt the babies and could also result in making her pregnant again, thus causing problems with the exsiting litter. if you havent already you need to start finding potential homes (they cant go until min 8weeks) and make sure you have homechecked them, do up a care leaflet ready to give to potential owners stating about nuetering and vaccination and common rabbit myths and illnesses also you should mention the hutch requrements by law this is now 6x2x2ft and attatched run of 6x6ft to allow plenty of space and you also need to ensure you have the temperary accomodation set up for the kits for sexing reasons after 12 weeks this needs to be of adequet size hope this helps x

Hi, thanks for the heads up and the advice. I do pride myself on being a responsible pet owner and have done (and still am doing) lots of research to ensure that the pregnancy/birth etc go well. The welfare of mum (Misty) is most important to us. We have researched thoroughly about breeding and plan to make this her only litter.

No particular colours are preferred -- I was just wondering if it's actully possible to get for example a white from 2 dark buns.

thanks again. :D

One of my modules at the moment is Animal Genetics (BSc Equine Science) and the only way you can find out is by finding out all the possibilites using punnet squares. Without knowing the colours of previous ancestors it's hard to say as you do not know what recessive colours they carry.

My foster girly Angel gave birth to a litter of 4. She was a REW, and the father was a chinchilla. They had 1 chinchilla, 1 REW, 1 beige sable and 1 grey sable.

In her next litter (we got her when the babies were 2 weeks old, and she was still in with the father so he re-impregnated her) she only had two, 1 chinchilla and 1 grey sable.

The grey/beige sable is obviously a recessive colour that either Thorn or Angel carry.

Good luck!

Hi, thanks for the heads up and the advice. I do pride myself on being a responsible pet owner and have done (and still am doing) lots of research to ensure that the pregnancy/birth etc go well. The welfare of mum (Misty) is most important to us. We have researched thoroughly about breeding and plan to make this her only litter.

No particular colours are preferred -- I was just wondering if it's actully possible to get for example a white from 2 dark buns.

thanks again. :D

Particularly in this case, yes it is.

Please be aware nethies are the hardest to breed. Whenever she is due you are going to need to be there all the time to ensure she doesn't have any problems (no stuck kits, no pencil kits, no foetal giants). I lost two nethies through breeding, and I deeply regret it more than anything I can express on here. Don't let your bunny become another statistic. I hope you have done all the right things so far to give her the best chance of survival.

well you could find out what they are likely to have, I will have a go at it.
I dont really understand what colour the grey smoke is tho lol

Fingers crossed ... I'll keep you posted ;)

well you could find out what they are likely to have, I will have a go at it.
I dont really understand what colour the grey smoke is tho lol

mistyandpeter.jpg

the big one is Misty....pic was taken when Peter was just a baby altho he is still much smaller than her. I think she must be a cross...

Fingers crossed ... I'll keep you posted ;)

mistyandpeter.jpg

the big one is Misty....pic was taken when Peter was just a baby altho he is still much smaller than her. I think she must be a cross...

If she's a cross she probably wasnt bred deliberately and therefore Id say you can expect a wider varierty of colours.

When I was younger my mum bred our rabbits, which I regret as she became smaller, thinner, more aggressive and had lots of phantom pregnancies, all these things we tried to solve but couldnt (I would neuter your bunny after this litter). Beware you may end up hand-rearing the kits (we had to with one), or end up losing them (we lost some due to being killed/pushed out the nest) or even her. Im not trying to make you worry, its just you need to be aware of what can happen so you are prepared. I would book some time off work around the due date so you can be there.

Mum was a white lop with blue eyes, Dad was agouti uppy eared, we got:
REW, grey/blue, white blue eyed, white with grey flecks, agouti, champagne, ginger and solid brown.

hmm ok,
So with a Marten sable and a Sealpoint

at-B-cchlcchlD-E- X aaB-cchlcD-ee

so i would think you could get seal/ sable martens out of that, but depending on hidden recessives you could get a wide array of colours.
high chance if getting more sealpoints if the marten sable carrys an ( e ).

Your bunnies are totally beautiful :D

Sadly, this shows you haven't done all the research necessary before going into this. However, at the very least, at least he is smaller than her.

Please keep us updated and let us know how she goes :)

Ah right, just wondering as Mum can get pregnant again about 1 hour after giving birth! so please be sure to keep them apart once the babies arrive and until at least 6 weeks after Dad is "done" as he can remain fertile.

They live seperately but we sometimes bring them together to play...they have the best fun! :D They can hopefully play more often once Peter gets neutered.

You won't be able to do this if you get any babies, until babies are weaned, and, as dustyrabbit says, until 6-8 weeks after the little boys neuter.

Yes I am aware of both of these factors. As I said...I have done research before letting my two pets mate.

Back