• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it okay to bring outdoor buns indoors for a few hours if a solo bun?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
It's 4 degrees here outdoors. I don't think it's going to be that warm inside. I'm cold.

Is this okay for a few hours? He's abit lonely and i want him to hop about the kitchen with me whilst i cook tea.

Some people say that there is an increased risk of the bun developing snuffles and other respiratory problems if brought indoors. Personally, I take this risk with my buns because otherwise I'd never spend any time with them in the winter and they are my pets and I need to be with them. The only bun I've ever had which has got snuffles is Widget, one of my new buns, but my vet said some buns do harbour it more than others. I never had any problems with any of my other buns bringing them in most evenings in the winter time so I believe the risk is low. Widget has been treated and the vet believes there is no need to continue her treatment even though we're keeping a close eye on her in case she worsens. But she seems stable.

Some people say that there is an increased risk of the bun developing snuffles and other respiratory problems if brought indoors. Personally, I take this risk with my buns because otherwise I'd never spend any time with them in the winter and they are my pets and I need to be with them. The only bun I've ever had which has got snuffles is Widget, one of my new buns, but my vet said some buns do harbour it more than others. I never had any problems with any of my other buns bringing them in most evenings in the winter time so I believe the risk is low. Widget has been treated and the vet believes there is no need to continue her treatment even though we're keeping a close eye on her in case she worsens. But she seems stable.

I'm not worried about snuffles so much-more so about him not adapting back to the cold weather outdoors when he has been in awhile. I guess it's just like when i bring a bun in for dentals overnight though.

It's a tricky one isn't it - what sort of temperature is it in your house? I feel cold at about 15 degrees, so there could still be a big differential between inside and outside.

For me it's not so much whether bringing them in will make them ill (although of course that's a consideration) it's more a matter of kindness. I wouldn't like to come into a warm house for a few hours and then be popped back outside in the cold without an extra coat. Even if it didn't make me ill, I don't think it would be very nice, so I personally would only do it if the heating is off and the room is genuinely not very different in temperature to outdoors. If there's a big difference, I wouldn't do it, because it would be exactly like me going outside in my pyjamas having been indoors for a while.

I would only ever do this at the warmest part of the day outside so that the temp difference was smaller. So that would be the middle of the day, generally.

It's a tricky one isn't it - what sort of temperature is it in your house? I feel cold at about 15 degrees, so there could still be a big differential between inside and outside.

For me it's not so much whether bringing them in will make them ill (although of course that's a consideration) it's more a matter of kindness. I wouldn't like to come into a warm house for a few hours and then be popped back outside in the cold without an extra coat. Even if it didn't make me ill, I don't think it would be very nice, so I personally would only do it if the heating is off and the room is genuinely not very different in temperature to outdoors. If there's a big difference, I wouldn't do it, because it would be exactly like me going outside in my pyjamas having been indoors for a while.

The point is well made, however, from observing my rabbits, all I can say is that they do not seem to exhibit any behaviour that would suggest they are uncomfortable with the change in temperatures between indoors and out. They have a kennel outside attached to an aviary, and if they we cold I'd think they would tend to stay in the warmest part of the kennel. Instead they head straight for the most exposed outside area. Similarly, indoors they do not seem overly stressed with the heat, they run around like mad half the time. ;) When it's very cold they get a snuggle safe but they just seem to ignore it! :roll:

The house was freezing, as in no heating at all because the aga had burnt all the coal down and it took a few hours to heat up. I was inside with a coat on shivering :) It gets so cold in here sometimes.

Now it is boiling again- all buns are where they should be :) 4 degrees is like summer here compared to the minus 14 weather we have been having.

Thanks.

Back