• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

possible issue with my new rabbit

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
I got my new rabbit yesterday. She seems to have settled in nicely and has taken a possitive liking to her neighbour Thumper which is good. Her old owners used to feed her a tiny bowl full of mixed food (Rabbit Royale) once a day and a tiny amount of hay once a week. Since getting some great advice on here thanks to everyone who replied, I started giving her unlimited hay 24/7 and continue to feed her; her normal feed until I'm sure she has settled.

I've noticed that everytime I go to check on her she hasn't eaten much of her food (her owners said she used to scoff it all in one go) but does seems to be nibbling on bits of hay every time I view her. I don't know if shes eating the hay because she nos I'm there or because she's genuinly eatting it. But the hay that I throw down doesn't seem to disapear, more trodden down. But she is a netherland dwarf so it's hard to imagine how much she eats.

Other then this she seems very healthy, very active, a good weight (visual) and very friendly. No aggression towards Thumper at all, smells him all the time through the mesh. The only thing she doesn't like is when I've got my hands in her hutch sorting her hay and food, but she is in the hutch at the time so she may feel threatned and stomps her foot. Plus she isn't spayed (yet). I've got both her and Thumper both booked in for a health check this Friday and I'll ask about getting her spayed then :)

Some rabbits prefer hay over pellets, and she may be one of those- especially if she knows she should eat it but hasn't had the chance- I guess its a novelty.

It can be hard to tell if she has eaten stuff, but the fact you're seeing her is encouraging. she won't just eat because she feels she should when you're there though, if anything, she would be less likely to eat it.

What do her poos look like?

Well hoepfully she's eating it all the time and just nibbling. I will definatly keep an eye out tomorrow. I'm going to go hunt for dropping tomorrow morning before work to make sure she's passing them ok

Given her breed and the fact that she previously had hay only once a week I would get the Vet to check her teeth ASAP xx

Given her breed and the fact that she previously had hay only once a week I would get the Vet to check her teeth ASAP xx

Well the soonest I can go is friday because I work today, tomorrow and thursday . The soonest oppoitment is 2:30pm and thats when I've been booked in for :) they do all the surgeries before. My main reason for a health check was because of the hay and possible teeth issue. But she is only 5 months old so hopefully *fingers crossed* we can get it all sorted before any major issues crop up

2571085-699m.jpg

;)

awwwww she's gorgeous:love: fingers crossed that her teeth will be ok as she hasn't got such a squished face as a nethie. she really is beautiful:D

Back