• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stairs - Fail.

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
B&G have just had the stairs opened up to them for 20 minutes as a test. Biccy came flying up and down. Ginger can't jump up them, her back legs just wont let her for some reason, she tried the first step and fell back down again :(

Won't be opening the stairs up to them again until Ginger's a bit older me thinks.

Worthwhile try to give them more space, but no cigar this time. Oh well.

No point really, just feel really sorry for her.

Oh poor Ginger, bless her heart:love:

If it's any consolation, my two can't really do stairs either... maybe some buns just can't do it?:?

Bobby is queen of the stairs, carlo needs more help bless. The size diff in them isn't too bad though he just doesn't like them

My Simba couldn't do steps either. Tinkerbell used to come up the steps from the garden and into the house. She used to stay in with us for ages. Simba just used to sit at the bottom of the steps waiting for her :(

Bobby dive bombs down the stairs, and Carlo waits at the top looking woeful :lol:

Bobby goes back half way and he tries but chickens out :oops: I then go and carry him so he can come down too

Why not open them up as physio for her, maybe with treats to entice her up.

Think maybe i could do but only for very short periods as i'd have to supervise as i'd be scared she'd hurt herself. She's back in the vets tomorrow AM @ 10am for her sneezing again anyway, so perhaps after that we'll see how we go.

:)

Short bouts, using treats to entice her up sounds a good plan. She won't get strength in her back end unless she is pushed to do so :)

Mine struggled to begin with. Especially coming down. I think the short supervised sessions would be a good idea. :)

Short bouts, using treats to entice her up sounds a good plan. She won't get strength in her back end unless she is pushed to do so :)

I think i've molly coddled her a little in the last month and so haven't really 'pushed' her as much as i did after your suggestions about basic physio.

I'll get her working with treats. She's developed a new found love for basil and mint, so i'll use that to try her with :)

She also LOVES that Herby Harvest stuff :shock: Demolishes it infact.

I think i've molly coddled her a little in the last month and so haven't really 'pushed' her as much as i did after your suggestions about basic physio.

I'll get her working with treats. She's developed a new found love for basil and mint, so i'll use that to try her with :)

She also LOVES that Herby Harvest stuff :shock: Demolishes it infact.

:thumb:

It sounds like she has a tendency towards muscle weakness as opposed to just being weak and not havign exercised, so may need stretching and a form of physio forever to avoid going backwards. If you can get her doing the stairs though, then that may be enough without the need for additional stuff.

:thumb:

It sounds like she has a tendency towards muscle weakness as opposed to just being weak and not havign exercised, so may need stretching and a form of physio forever to avoid going backwards. If you can get her doing the stairs though, then that may be enough without the need for additional stuff.

She certainly does her own forms of excercise, you should see some of the binkies she can do.

She seems to have bouts of strength in her legs. E.g - i put up a pen infront of the crate while i was in the hallway as i needed them to not be in there and she scaled the 2ft onto the sofa withuot trying by the looks of it, yet a small 20cm stair she struggles with and jumping into the litter tray is sometimes a problem for her.

I'll go for the short bouts of stair play with treats to see how we get on. Think Biccy will have to sit this out as he'll eat everything otherwise :roll: :lol:

Yes i was going to suggest keep trying with the stairs, especially if biccy is good at it - she will want to follow him - she will get there!!
My Charlie is a pro on stairs so was Oreo but Sooty and Mittens would just stand there totally confused by them and not brave enough to take the first step!!

Hey G! It took Maisie a while to master stairs, she once tried to jump about 9 of them from the top to the bottom and did a huge crash landing at the bottom the silly girl! Maybe it's a female thing? :roll:

Back