• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much space do indoor rabbits need?

loppy ears

Warren Veteran
What size dog crate is needed and how much space do they need.

If litter boxes are cleaned out every day does it get very smelly having the rabbits indoors?

I have my two indoors. They have a 48" dog crate with 2 levels and free-range of our hallway (14ft x 3ft) between 6:30am and 11:30pm and are unfortunately currently locked in the crate at night time, for their own safety as the house is not 100% bunny proof.

They dont smell at all if you do the trays everyday.

The only thing i can ever smell is hay, which i LOVE :love: the smell of!

Thanks Graham, I have only ever kept outdoor rabbits and did not think they would smell but you never know as when you are outside in the fresh air its hard to tell.

As much as you can give them I suppose - ideally a bunny proofed room, which is what my two have along with a small open pen with their feed/water/litter tray inside. Otherwise I would work from the minimum rec. hutch size plus run that you would have outdoors and aim to build a pen or crate and pen to that size at the least?

Visitors/friends comments how little the rabbits smell so I don't think they are smelly at all. However they are both litter trained and spayed/neutered so I expect that helps. I use Bio-Catoilet or Beauticat (wood based) and change it every two days, giving the tray a little shake on the day between to redistribute the litter.

If you are keeping them caged then the minimum RSPCA square footage would apply, same as with outdoor rabbits.

I found it much easier to rabbit proof the house rather than have a cage and run. It's only the wires that I had to worry about, Louie doesn't chew anything else much!

And, I agree, the only smell is the smell of hay :D

If you are keeping them caged then the minimum RSPCA square footage would apply, same as with outdoor rabbits.

I found it much easier to rabbit proof the house rather than have a cage and run. It's only the wires that I had to worry about, Louie doesn't chew anything else much!

Totally agree with *lily* there, bunny proofing the house is best, although not always viable, but is definately the best bet if you can :wave:

Just remembered, Louie was nibbling the door this morning! :lol::lol:

Ah yes. We have 'Ginger' sized teef marks on the living room door :roll:

How i explain that one to the landlady, i have no idea! :lol:

This ^

And Graham you should see what Smudge did to my door!! :lol::lol::lol: A light sanding and repainting has been done but there's massive gouges out of it :lol::lol:

If you have a female bun - they dont smell at all and they pee downwards. If you have a male bun- if they get excited and spray up the wall or binky and spray as some of mine have done in the past, and you don't notice it-you end up with smell of male bunnys. This happened to me at the other house. Although the cage was cleaned daily- some males regardless of neutering do spray up things and on things when your not looking, if you don't notice , you can end up with some smells in odd places.

I had cream walls- they also sprayed up my radiator. They have managed to spray up the entire fridge before. They are neutered males too.

Back