• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just been offered a hutch... VHD death?

Fluffers

Wise Old Thumper
3'6w x 2'6d x 27" tall

Ok for inside a shed as a base I thought.

Then I was told the rabbit had died just before Christmas. I asked if the lady knew what from. She said "I have no idea why the rabbit died - it was only a youngster Belgian Hare (winces at the thought of it inside such a small hutch) - was fine one day and dead the next - no apparent runny nose, discharge from eyes etc "

I'm thinking VHD?

Comments?

Needless to say I shan't be taking the hutch.

Is it worth taking the hutch (if it's free) to dispose of it and save an unsuspecting bunny owner from putting a healthy bun in there?

Is it worth taking the hutch (if it's free) to dispose of it and save an unsuspecting bunny owner from putting a healthy bun in there?

Yes I guess so and it's only in the next village. The lady has said they won't be having any more rabbits though (phew). I am in the process of sending a carefully worded & polite email back referencing a few welfare points. I've already established the hare wasn't vaccinated for VHD.

Poor bunny :( Try to take the hutch and dispose of it if you can. I asked my vet if you can tell when a bunny died of VHD as my rabbits sister (who had been bought by some one I know) died unexpectantly, he said there can be blood coming from the nose/eyes or a wet nose. Did the rabbit have anything in it's hutch that could've harmed it or any broken bones or anything? I later found out my rabbits sister had died from a broken neck, apparently she used to run around quickly and could've had an accident :cry:

If you take it and get rid of it then you are going to have to dispose of it and transport it very carefully because VHD can be carried on clothing and shoes, etc and then lives in the environment for many months. I would suggest taking many bin liners for it, using hand gel yourself, and for your shoes, etc and being very aware of 'invisibles'.

Can I suggest that you go with a change of shoes and when you get back change all your clothes and have a shower, might be extreme but you don't want to pass anything to your bunnies if it was something serious

I didn't take the hutch. In fact I didn't even get close to it.

I knew before I'd even set foot in the place it was going to be grim and sadly I was right. There was dog excrement everywhere, inside & outside the house :shock: The smell was quite overwhelming. I felt very unwell at one point.

I left quickly having explained that the hutch must be burnt to remove the risk of passing the disease on. I sort of know the lady (through a friend) and I believe she will do the right thing.

I just wasn't prepared to risk bringing it into my own environment.

I didn't take the hutch. In fact I didn't even get close to it.

I knew before I'd even set foot in the place it was going to be grim and sadly I was right. There was dog excrement everywhere, inside & outside the house :shock: The smell was quite overwhelming. I felt very unwell at one point.

I left quickly having explained that the hutch must be burnt to remove the risk of passing the disease on. I sort of know the lady (through a friend) and I believe she will do the right thing.

I just wasn't prepared to risk bringing it into my own environment.

Oh goodness, poor bunny! You did the right thing

you did the right thing
for future reference anyone who does get a 2nd hand hutch scrub it out with verkol pretty much kills everything !

Isn't it just awful when you know the person in a roundabout way...it makes it harder to be forceful with them I think.

Back