• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you feel about The Burgess Small Animal Show and the GRAND RABBIT AUCTION?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Not wishing to stir up a breeder debate, more one about the ethics of auctioning off donated 'prizes' (which just happen to be live rabbits) at the end of the show. The rabbits are of different 'fancies' and have been donated by the breed's premier breeders and exhibitors.

The organisers of the auction will also be presenting the person who donated the rabbit that secures the highest bid with a prize.

I find this a totally disgusting way of perpetuating the idea that a rabbit is a chattle and not a living creature. I do realise that this no different in some ways to that of cattle auctions and sheep etc, but for some reason because this is for 'pleasure' rather than a need to produce food I find it unacceptable. Of course it happens with horses too but again, horses are held in higher regard in general than a rabbit so it's care is likely to be better than that of a rabbit.

I guess the rabbits are going to be good examples of the breed and therefore will be used by the winning bidders to further their breeding programmes so that is upsetting in itself.

I am open to listening to why anyone thinks that this is acceptable, but right now I am even more angry about rabbit welfare and perception in the UK than I normally am and you'll need to go some to convince me that I am being unreasonable.

I don't like Burgess as a product anyway and by them supporting such an affair, it just cements my need to recommend other pet food suppliers ahead of them always. Burgess of course will have a massive customer base in the UK with the breeder community so they have to protect their business by sponsorship, but surely they should make a stand and support welfare events only.

Thoughts please.......

I agree with you - auctioning live animals as prizes, rather than the regulated way that livestock are traded, is unethical. I dont know any details on the auction, but how do they know the "prizes" are going to suitable homes?

It also reinforces the idea, which you and others have tried so hard to combat, that rabbits and other pets are just comestibles for our pleasure and don't have any intrinsic rights or needs - if you can pay for it you can have it.

I am sure its a great opportunity for some breeders to acquire some good quality new genetic lines etc, but that in itself just seems to be profiteering.

I could say more but I can't articulate it! It just gives you that unsettled feeling :?

To say the majority of them seem to go to other breeders, so not like they are going to random people and pet homes.

Im not going to make a big deal of it, as i dont have the mental capacity to really think about it at the moment.

But the fact that rabbits are being sold to the highest bidder makes me sick. And whoever donates a rabbit obviously doesnt have a very high reguard for them!!

If i was a breeder, id never be able to sell any of my rabbits! Id be too worried where they would end up!

I was sorely tempted Vikki to get a coach load of people to go with me and bid on all of the rabbits just to mess up the auction but that would be childish wouldn't it.

I don't really have the mental capacity either right now but it smacks to me of goldfish in plastic bags at fairs. :evil:

I was sorely tempted Vikki to get a coach load of people to go with me and bid on all of the rabbits just to mess up the auction but that would be childish wouldn't it.

:lol: they can sometimes go for great amounts too! I heard that one year a rabit went for £300, and i remeber last year a pair went for over £80.

I was horrified when I found out about this practice. I guess though, it comes back to how you view and respect the rabbit.

It's really sad, but I wouldn't call it unethical I don't think..
The rabbits aren't harmed are they? And I would think that they were going to other breeders, (which while I don't agree with breeding for money), isn't the WORST thing that could happen to them.

This makes me feel sick. I'm with you on this Helen. :( Disappointed to learn that Burgess sponsor this kind of event too, but I should probably be used to that kind of thing.

Where do we get tickets for the coach trip?! :lol::lol::lol:

It's really sad, but I wouldn't call it unethical I don't think..
The rabbits aren't harmed are they? And I would think that they were going to other breeders, (which while I don't agree with breeding for money), isn't the WORST thing that could happen to them.

The bunny could get lucky and go to somewhere clean, sheltered, with food and water given appropriately, or it could go to squalor and neglect. Its an unknown and the owner auctioning them has no idea where its going to go. If a bunny is being sold this way, then the owner most likely doesn't actually care where it goes (huge presumption, but based on facts). That, for me, is the worst part- the attitude of the previous owner.

The bunny could get lucky and go to somewhere clean, sheltered, with food and water given appropriately, or it could go to squalor and neglect. Its an unknown and the owner auctioning them has no idea where its going to go. If a bunny is being sold this way, then the owner most likely doesn't actually care where it goes (huge presumption, but based on facts). That, for me, is the worst part- the attitude of the previous owner.

Yeah I agree with the fact that the previous owner obviously isn't too bothered by where their "stock" ends up.

I hate the word stock.

I agree with what has been said. I don't think bidding for rabbits in an auction is right at all, rabbits are intelligent pets who need proper care, not 'prizes' to be won at a show by bidding :( I am going to the show, but will not be staying for the auction.

The more I learn about these horror stories of these poor little animals, It really makes me wonder what kind of world we live in.:evil:

I'd say at least you are proactive, about trying to change things.
And for that I admire you :D

Not got a problem with the show as long as the rabbits aren't under any stress and don't mind travelling etc but not so sure about the auction. If they are going to good breeders then it's not so bad but the problem is... what if a bad breeder gets them? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back