• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed Project - I need help from all you professional shed owners! :-) Pleasee........

Livi

Alpha Buck
I haven’t yet been given the go ahead for a shed from my parents BUT I am compiling my list of materials required for when they do (I am about 80% there I think!)….

 Thin Plywood Sheeting
 Insulation (already have this – Space Blanket roll I think it is called from B&Q – Is this suitable? Its not your usual foil bubble wrap/polystyrene sheeting…)
 Non Slip Lino
 Plastic Skirting
 Fox Proof Weld Mesh – For Windows & Making an Inner Door
 Pet Safe Paint – For painting the inside walls
 Wood Treatment & Pet Safe Paint/Stain– For outside of the shed

I also have a Q re the Insulation – I have a ‘Space Blanket Roll from B&Q as above’ but I am now worried about the Summer months in the shed? I am happy enough it will be warmer than their hutch in the Winter, but will the type of insulation I have make it too hot in the summer?!

Also SHELVE'S etc? What materials do you use for your bunny shelving in sheds? And making ramps? Although I am tempted to make blocks for them to jump instead of a ramp…

Insulation will help to keep the shed cool in summer as well as warm in winter, so long as there is not too much heat i.e. sunshine coming in through the windows and door.

For shelves I just use 9mm plywood on a wooden frame. It.s a good idea to add an edge for safety xx

Thank you :)

Also need some advice on fans/heaters?

Read about the tube heaters which people encase in the caging, and I know that you can get fans to plug in and encase safely too…

IF I am unable to have electricity running into my shed – Come the summer, apart from Ice Pods….Can you buy solar powered fans or battery operated ones for when it gets really really hot?

Thinking if I don’t have electricity I will need a very good torch and some of those little battery operated lights from poundland :) lol.

Also, Was *considering* maybe using PVC interior wall cladding for the inside instead of painting on the plywood....But my concern is that a) It would get too hot/too cold? and b) It would be difficult to drill through if we wanted to add anything?

Thank you :)

Also need some advice on fans/heaters?

Read about the tube heaters which people encase in the caging, and I know that you can get fans to plug in and encase safely too…

IF I am unable to have electricity running into my shed – Come the summer, apart from Ice Pods….Can you buy solar powered fans or battery operated ones for when it gets really really hot?

Thinking if I don’t have electricity I will need a very good torch and some of those little battery operated lights from poundland :) lol.

Solar powered lights are great. I got mine from Maplin. They were a lot cheaper when I bought them though so you might want to shop around
:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=223425&C=Froogle&U=223425&T=Module

Swap the rechargable batteries for some more powerful rechargables (Aldi do good, powerful, cheap rechargables) otherwise the light won't work well in Winter or on cloudy days. Otherwise Wilkinsons do 48 LED lights for about a fiver which are very bright and last well.

They do a solar powered fan to but I haven't tried one:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97350

I've just fitted a tube heater and guard in my playhouse. It seems to be doing a good job of taking the edge off the cold so far. I wish I'd bought a longer guard though as this would have been handy for protecting the cable as well as the heater. I've had to extend the guard with some sturdy weldmesh xx

Back