• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

changing food

ZoeLou

Warren Scout
My kits are 7 weeks old nearly and i give them royale mix which they love. . George as wagg mix and he loves that too! I was thinking of gradually changing babies over to wagg before they leave me.

What do you think? X

My kits are 7 weeks old nearly and i give them royale mix which they love. . George as wagg mix and he loves that too! I was thinking of gradually changing babies over to wagg before they leave me.

What do you think? X

do you mean the Wagg Mix or Pellets?

Wagg mix x

There would be no benefit to changing to another brand of mix. Wagg make pellets also which you can get in the Supermarket. These would be the best to change the little ones, and George, onto to prevent selective feeding :D

Could i ask why not mix?

Mix promotes selective eating (it has nice sugarry bits which any bun will always prefer over anything else) and they dont always contain the fibre and other proteins/minerals etc a bunny needs.

Pellets however contain that and so bunny is better of.

Lots of people say "but my bunny eats all of his mix" but that doesn't mean he/she will always do so, so its best to not have that problem in the first place.

Difficult to know that before finding somewhere like RU though, i know, but its fairly easy in most bunnies to change food, especially early on but not sure with kits of 7 weeks. I have no expertise in babies.

They tend to just eat the nicest bits and leave the rest!

With a pellet, all their needs are compacted into the pellet so they are getting a complete feed :D

Oh right thank you. George is 7 months old he eats all of the mix and doesn't leave any of it at all. X

Oh right thank you. George is 7 months old he eats all of the mix and doesn't leave any of it at all. X

Yes, but as i said, he may change to do so if he has any preference in the future, so its best to avoid it and avoid that happening at all :)

George has been a good boy so far :)

when we got daisy and duke they were fed a mix by the rescue - but after a while they started to selective feed so we switched them over to pellets

(duke and libby are getting a small amount of mix with their pellets though as duke has a very sensitive tummy and sometimes we have to change what he can eat - helps just give us options - i would say about 95% pellets and the rest mix - i definitely prefer the pellets though as you know they are getting everything, with mix they get different quantities of different bits every time they eat)

Yes, but as i said, he may change to do so if he has any preference in the future, so its best to avoid it and avoid that happening at all :)

George has been a good boy so far :)

Lol. He is more like a dog when i shout him he looks at me and turns his head

When my previous rabbits were swapped onto pellets I thought they wouldn't eat them, but I never had any problems :D

You'll also find that a lot of pellets are vetinary recommended, which is a good sign that they are better quality than a mix:)
Mine have never been on a mix so I don't know what's in it, but I know pellets contain everything that a bunny needs:)

An additional thing with mixes is that many (but not all) do not have the appropriate nutritional balance for rabbits (especially baby rabbits).

I would then suggest gradually changing them over to a more appropriate food/pellet and taking no sooner than 2 weeks, but when I did my foster babies, we took a month.

You will need to be super, extra careful because of their history and the fact their tummy is going to be sensitive. It would also be sensible to keep them until they get to at least 12 weeks old because of how lowered their immunity is and how vulnerable they are. Or even better, rehome them once they have been spayed/neutered and vaccinated.

When my previous rabbits were on a mix, they always left the pellets out of it!

So did Mini and Mischa. It was hell trying to get Mischa onto pellets, he was very stubborn about it, but we got there eventually.

Back