• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pls help with shed/outdoor housing ideas!!!!!

Bunni_xx

Mama Doe
Ok, this might come as a bit of a drag, but here goes.

We have a large garden (4.5 acre) and we have 2 buns, 2 dogs and chickens. The rabbits are currently in a hutch/run combo in the chicken area. It is surrounded by electric fencing. The set-up for the chickens is as follows. The main run bit is about 20x20 ft. we have the added and extension than is 70x30. At the bottom of the garden we have stables.

In the spring, we are going to move the electric fencing round the stables, so the chickens can have one of the stables. At the end there is a tac shed, which is about 8ft long x 4 wide. Now the buns could either have this with a large run, the main run bit currently for the chickes or another area about 5x10. I would go for the larger one but the wire is only under the ground a couple of foot. I was also worried about them using all the space. The other area (not shed) is electric fenced, not stable and the buns could shock themselves. I wondered just what you guys think is best/what you did/ideas to make all 3 areas more fun for the buns!

Thank you so much, xx

Last edited:
Anybody? Plz! Someone must know how to make a shed nice, comfy and fun! We need to start project shed asap! Xx

I have a shed for my foster bunnies which is lined it with plywood so there are no edges to get their teeth into to stop then chewing and has non slip lino down on the floor to make it easier to clean.

They have a covered cat litter tray and carrier to snuggle in the cold weather or hide. Some people have a hutch or dog kennel in their sheds for the bunnies. Bunnies enjoy jumping so they also have a couple of kids tables with the legs sawn down so they can have something to hop on and off. They also have toys, tunnel and litter trays with hay. Some people put shelves in their sheds but that is too technical for me :lol:

There is a run attached to the shed accessed via a small door which I shut at night although you can use a cat flap. If you are worried about them digging the run area and being fox proof, you could bury some weldmesh under the turf or put paving slabs down. I've never had any experience of electric fences but agree it may be unsafe for bunnies. I wouldnt worry about too much space for bunnies, the more the better :)

There are lots of pictures of shed set ups in housing which will give ideas. Hope it goes well, your garden sounds fantastic :wave:

Wow, the size of your garden and the potential/actual sounds amazing...I have virtually the opposite!

We have a pair in a shed with a sturdy run attached - it is accessible throughout the daytime to them via a 'cat flap' - which is essentially just a flap we sawed out of the side of the shed.

My OH purpose-built a kennel/aviary for the other bunnies.

Both the shed and the kennel have inner mesh doors for safety and to let in air and light.

I would definitely keep your bunnies away from an electric fence - remember as well that if a run is on grass/soil then it isnt escape-proof or fox-proof, so it is better to stand a run on concrete surface or mesh underneath the grass or soil, best also not to let the bunnies run and sit directly on mesh as it will hurt their feet.

Good luck - they are going to be very lucky bunnies! :wave:

Rexbun - the table idea is fantastic. I also agree with shelves being too technical!!! Thanx!

Helgalush - didn't think electric fencing was too safe but I am quite new to rabbits so thought I better ask! How wld I put the mesh under grass?? Thanx x

Last edited:
Back