• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues- What to do if you have a poorly bun bonded with a healthy bun?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
If you get a poorly bun in with a healthy bun... Obviously you wouldn't break the bond.

Do you keep them as sanctuary bunnies or try rehome to someone who can handle the other rabbits health problems.

Do some rescues only rehome healthy bunnies and keep others as sanctuary buns?

Thanks

I'm not a rescue obviously :lol: sorry for being nosey, but just wanted to say that some bunnies with problems such as dental problems, or sight or hearing problems, can still be rehomed ....but I think if you are talking about a sick bunny it wouldnt be fair to rehome it really, depending on the problem.

I'll be interested to see what rescues say. I had already read it and didnt think I would have anything to offer but from an adopters point of view I was happy to adopt two dental bunnies, one of which is deaf, you just have to know what you are taking on first and consider everything. You probably have to consider how experienced/prepared that person is and you probably also have to think that those homes are going to come along less frequently so they may be in rescue a while.

Sorry if me butting in is not helpful :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Last edited:
I don't think there's any harm in trying to rehome them, even if they do end up staying as sanctuary buns because no suitable home comes up. The problem is that inevitably over time you will find lots of buns with one problem or another, and you could easily completely fill up with 'unrehomeables' if you ended up keeping them all.

As long as you're honest about the bun's problems, there's no particular reason why they couldn't be rehomed to the right home if it came up, I just wouldn't expect it to come up with the same regularity as a 'normal' home. :)

I've got some that are so ill and they are bonded with a healthy bunny and so they will live ut their lives here, as Helgaslush said though you can rehome some special needs bunnies depending on who the person is and their capabilities of looking after those bunnies

I think you have to judge each one on it's merits but personally I wouldn't home a dental bunny or special needs bunny to anyone unless I knew them personally and agreed with which vet they used

Sadly, where I used to volunteer generally PTS rabbits with problems (this was their policy before I started, although since I've started, some of their more complex cases- cancer, head tilt, spinal damage, have come my way). Their thinking is that owners have proven that they are not reliable when it comes to ensuring the rabbit's needs are met, and its not fair to the rabbit to risk them suffering.

Its not something everyone agrees with, but they do what they feel is best in their situation.

I'm not a rescue obviously :lol: sorry for being nosey, but just wanted to say that some bunnies with problems such as dental problems, or sight or hearing problems, can still be rehomed ....but I think if you are talking about a sick bunny it wouldnt be fair to rehome it really, depending on the problem.

I'll be interested to see what rescues say. I had already read it and didnt think I would have anything to offer but from an adopters point of view I was happy to adopt two dental bunnies, one of which is deaf, you just have to know what you are taking on first and consider everything. You probably have to consider how experienced/prepared that person is and you probably also have to think that those homes are going to come along less frequently so they may be in rescue a while.

Sorry if me butting in is not helpful :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Think I'll just keep dental buns as sanctuary buns separate to rescues, but was wondering what to do if they have a healthy bonded partner. I am a rescue sanctuary rather than just rescue, so I'm setting up accommodation for both, but doing it all under the same company.

It's very helpful, Thanks :)

I've got some that are so ill and they are bonded with a healthy bunny and so they will live ut their lives here, as Helgaslush said though you can rehome some special needs bunnies depending on who the person is and their capabilities of looking after those bunnies

I think you have to judge each one on it's merits but personally I wouldn't home a dental bunny or special needs bunny to anyone unless I knew them personally and agreed with which vet they used

We do the same ^^^^

Think I'll just keep dental buns as sanctuary buns separate to rescues, but was wondering what to do if they have a healthy bonded partner. I am a rescue sanctuary rather than just rescue, so I'm setting up accommodation for both, but doing it all under the same company.

It's very helpful, Thanks :)

If you keep dental buns as sanctuary buns you'll be full up in no time at all, surely?

If you keep dental buns as sanctuary buns you'll be full up in no time at all, surely?

We were a rescue/sanctuary for the first 4 years, so had healthy and poorly buns.

Tbh once people found out a rabbit has any issues such as dental problems or snuffles etc, they tended to veer towards a healthy rabbit in preference.

Not many people have access to a good rabbit vet, or a vet that prices simple procedures such as dentals at a reasonable price.

In our first 4 years we homed many rabbits (in the hundreds) and only a few people asked about taking on a rabbit with health issues.

We chose not to rehome them, as we knew that we would be powerless to ensure that each particular rabbits health requirements were met (you can specify it in the adoption paperwork but you don't really have any power to enforce it)

We chose not to rehome them, as we knew that we would be powerless to ensure that each particular rabbits health requirements were met (you can specify it in the adoption paperwork but you don't really have any power to enforce it)

It's such a shame, because dental problems can be so easy to maintain too. Although I suppose it's easy to see why people would prefer healthy pets. It's also a shame that you can't trust people to do the right thing!

Well if it's malocclusion - teeth can come out- but spurs - it would have to be someone willing to do the monthly dentals etc.

They may not need dentals monthly, but the hardest thing is identifying an owner who will be willing and able to identify problems the second they arise and be proactive in getting the rabbit the treatment they want, so it sounds like a smart philosophy to me, although I imagine there would be issues to iron out along the way.

They may not need dentals monthly, but the hardest thing is identifying an owner who will be willing and able to identify problems the second they arise and be proactive in getting the rabbit the treatment they want, so it sounds like a smart philosophy to me, although I imagine there would be issues to iron out along the way.

Only Ru people then that we know :) hehe.

Also I should point out that our vet does conscious dentals so we are very lucky in that respect, but also this is a controversial area as many people disagree with conscious dentals, and I do see why. I dont think that many vets can or will do conscious ones, a dental under GA is not only very costly but also there is the worry of the GA, so I really do see why that would put a lot of people off. We would find it hard if Starbuck had to have a GA every couple of months, but of course if he needed to we would.

Older bunnies are another consideration because adoptees cant insure them after 5 years old. Again it didnt bother us too much but then we only have the one, if you have a lot, it could be difficult.

Sorry for butting in again! :oops::oops:

Also I should point out that our vet does conscious dentals so we are very lucky in that respect, but also this is a controversial area as many people disagree with conscious dentals, and I do see why. I dont think that many vets can or will do conscious ones, a dental under GA is not only very costly but also there is the worry of the GA, so I really do see why that would put a lot of people off. We would find it hard if Starbuck had to have a GA every couple of months, but of course if he needed to we would.

Older bunnies are another consideration because adoptees cant insure them after 5 years old. Again it didnt bother us too much but then we only have the one, if you have a lot, it could be difficult.

Sorry for butting in again! :oops::oops:

Thanks- i don't want to rehome any bunny where there is a risk to the bunny-I'd rather keep it here as a sanctuary bunny.

I don't think there's any harm in trying to rehome them, even if they do end up staying as sanctuary buns because no suitable home comes up. The problem is that inevitably over time you will find lots of buns with one problem or another, and you could easily completely fill up with 'unrehomeables' if you ended up keeping them all.

As long as you're honest about the bun's problems, there's no particular reason why they couldn't be rehomed to the right home if it came up, I just wouldn't expect it to come up with the same regularity as a 'normal' home. :)

I think i'll focus on rehoming buns that are adoptable then raising funds for buns with issues that need lifelong care.

Back