• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question for Sanctuaries about Rehoming?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I know some sanctuaries don't like the general public coming to the premises- does this mean you end up with healthy buns as well as poorly buns living out there lives at the sanctuary or do you always re home the buns which are well?

Thanks

Last edited:
Since we have become a sanctuary rather than a rescue we don't take in healthy rabbits, but refer them to other reputable rescues.

The only healthy rabbits we take in are returns, but I have to say that we probably have better accommodation for our rabbits than most, so a healthy rabbit would have a very fulfilled life in our sanctuary!

Since we have become a sanctuary rather than a rescue we don't take in healthy rabbits, but refer them to other reputable rescues.

The only healthy rabbits we take in are returns, but I have to say that we probably have better accommodation for our rabbits than most, so a healthy rabbit would have a very fulfilled life in our sanctuary!

I can imagine your standards will be alot higher than most for the bunnies :) So do you have these bunnies as company mascots or available for adoption sometimes if you don't end up rehoming them?

Will the returns stay with you as long as they live?

I can imagine your standards will be alot higher than most for the bunnies :) So do you have these bunnies as company mascots or available for adoption sometimes if you don't end up rehoming them?

We will rehome them to existing Hopper customers who may have lost one of a pair, if the bonding works, but we will not rehome any rabbit singly so any healthy returns can end up being bonded into a group if there is no immediate demand from a known home.

We don't like to leave them single waiting for a potential home (particularly if they're grieving for a lost partner).

What happens if there is a very sick rabbit but it is bonded with a healthy rabbit? Do you discount them? Do you split them?

What happens if there is a very sick rabbit but it is bonded with a healthy rabbit? Do you discount them? Do you split them?

What do you mean discount - sell them cheaper?
No, we don't rehome sick rabbits, and they stay together at the sanctuary in their pairing.

What do you mean discount - sell them cheaper?
No, we don't rehome sick rabbits, and they stay together at the sanctuary in their pairing.

No, that wasn't what I meant. At all.

I don't know your situation or set up, but when you said

it made me wonder what happens if you have a pair of rabbits, and one of them needs to be with you, but the other is healthy.

I was trying to ask whether or not you will take on the pair of rabbits, even though one is healthy, because there is one in the pair that needs you. Or whether you say that its not an option to take them as a pair, so eliminate the possibility that they may come to you, or whether you split the pair.

The use of the word discount was meant as (to quote a dictionary) 'to leave out of account; disregard'.

Does that make better sense?

No, that wasn't what I meant. At all.

I don't know your situation or set up, but when you said

it made me wonder what happens if you have a pair of rabbits, and one of them needs to be with you, but the other is healthy.

I was trying to ask whether or not you will take on the pair of rabbits, even though one is healthy, because there is one in the pair that needs you. Or whether you say that its not an option to take them as a pair, so eliminate the possibility that they may come to you, or whether you split the pair.

The use of the word discount was meant as (to quote a dictionary) 'to leave out of account; disregard'.

Does that make better sense?

We'd take the pair:D

:D coolio :)

ETA- would the healthy one then go up for adoption if it lost its bonded friend?

We would rehome it to an existing Hopper customer who had lost one of a pair, if the bonding worked, but as we don't generally have healthy rabbits we wouldn't have another healthy one to bond it with to make a pair for adoption (and we don't rehome single buns) so most likely the remaining partner would bond into an existing group in the sanctuary.

We have trusted volunteers who have rabbits, who occasionally need another partner for a bereaved bunny, and we also have sanctuary rabbits that lose their partner and can't be bonded into an existing pair or group.

Back