• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

shes not eating

tinkabellswish

Warren Scout
belles not eating anything today
i mushed up her pellets with water last night and she ate quite abit but today when i made a fresh one she has not touched it her poos are getting smaller and harder may she still be in pain how long till the pain killers start to work :?:?

What kind of pain killer did she have was it metacam and when did she get that? I find that it usually kicks in within half an hour.

If she doesn't pick up very soon a trip to the emergency vets may be in order. Our vet always says that a rabbit that has not eaten on its own for 12 hours is an emergency case. In the meantime keep her warm and try and massage her tummy if she'll let you, also I find that when my rabbit stops eating keeping her moving around helps to get things moving.

It does depend on why she's stopped eating though as it can be for many reasons and a vet assesment would be needed to determine the cause.

is she dehydrated? getting some water into her would be a good idea
ours love parsley when they feel poorly;) and mushed up banana syringed into them;)

dandilions help if you can find any too. Also infacol from the supermarket can be used to relieve gas but as mentioned it'd be useful to know why your bunny is off her food. Sometimes they can be prone to doing this but other times there are underlying problems (such as teeth) which would need to be ruled out by a vet.

Really sorry I've just checked your other thread and see that you've been to the vet already. It might well be the pain that's causing her to go off her food but as soon as the eating and pooing slows down it's in danger of stopping. Did your vet give you any gut stimulants at all? I'd keep trying with everything that's been suggested so far.

Really sorry I've just checked your other thread and see that you've been to the vet already. It might well be the pain that's causing her to go off her food but as soon as the eating and pooing slows down it's in danger of stopping. Did your vet give you any gut stimulants at all? I'd keep trying with everything that's been suggested so far.

shes on baytril and metacam if she has not eaten by the morning i will give the vet another ring :( i don't no if she not eating because i have brought her inside to keep her warm to give the best chance of recovery and she may be unsettled by it or if it is because of the pain :(:?

Back