• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Bunnies going outside to play??

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Just wondering, those of you with indoor buns, do you let yours out for a run in the garden when the weather isn't too bad??

Our weather has been quite mild the last couple of days and I've been wondering about whether its wise to let them out to play in the aviary for an hour or so.

Since they came indoors in November they've moulted so no longer have their winter coat - would it be ok to let them out for a run round for an hour or so??

My indoor bunnies, with indoor coats, will only be allowed out in the summer (although some of them detest going outside).

I think its more ok if the rabbits have the choice to come indoors when/if they want though.

I agree with Sky-O.

I feel guilty and want to let Bunz outside. But he hasn't been out since he was poorly back in October, and has too shed his winter coat. I'm scared of giving him a shock to the system.

Like Sky-O says though, give them the choice and see whay they want to do :)

Hhhm may leave them indoors for the time being then until the weather improves a bit more - just wanted to give them a bit more room to play in every now and again.

Father-in-Law is staying with us at the moment and he's only just been discharged from hospital so they're currently confined to the spare bedroom and a bit of the landing. Once FIL goes they can have the run of the living and dining room/kitchen each evening but until then they're stuck in their current situation.

Am sure they'll cope tho, they do come into our bedroom every morning for a quick run round.

Ours will go out, but we supervise them and leave the door open so they can come back in. They won't always go out, and we don't make them they just have the option to go out if they want. If they haven't gone out in about 10 mins we close the door again cos it's cold :lol:

Yep every day unless seriously sub-zero, someone is poorly, or it's very wet or the wind chill is too much. We have no set rule, it depends on numerous conditions and the length of time they spend out there is also dependent on these conditions. As it is around 4-5 degrees here today and no wind to speak of they have been allowed a good half an hour, this can vary from a few minutes to an hour at the very most in winter, and that would have to be an unusually mild day. They can come back in anytime they want and they are also supervised to make sure they are moving around at all times or grazing. Nino always gets brought in before Poppy, he is more restricted due to his arthritis in terms of his tolerance levels, plus he is a smaller rabbit, thinner fur and therefore loses heat to the air/ground much more quickly.

My house buns will have to wait til Spring before getting their free range time in the garden.
They squish their noses on the french door watching the others outside though:cry:

Cookie gets to choose :oops: She will go and sit by the glass doors to the terrace if she wants to be let out, and will come back in if she feels a little cold as I leave the doors open. She might have a quick runaround, or she might take a bit longer if the weather is nice.

Back