• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which locks for a shed?

JoLB

Warren Scout
I have nearly finished doing the shed - damp proof sheet, underlay, laminate (will put carpet remnants / rug on top so the rabbits can grip!). Have insulated the sides.

Just waiting to do the finishing touches, but I need to put better lock on the door so foxes can't get in. It has a lock at the moment, halfway on the door. But is a padlock better for lower down? Or one of those sliding locks (not sure of name).

Thanks!

a lock that you can put a padlock on.
and a slidy bolt lock that you can put on if they are in the house or something.

also remember i dont know what you are doing about the window in the shed, but if someone really wants to get in they can smash the window.

Definately get two Breton Bolts, sometimes called Pad bolts. Put one 1/3 of the way from the top and the other 1/3 of the way from the bottom. They are cheapest at screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/prods/69102/Ironmongery/Gate-Fittings/Padbolts/Lockable-Pad-Bolt-Zinc-Plated-102mm but the second cheapest place is Wilkinsons. Wickes & B&Q are quite expensive but do sell them. If you want to do a proper job you will also need some M6 (or possibly M8 depending on the lock you buy) carriage bolts. They have a round head and a square nut underneath the head and they make it so the lock can not be taken off from the outside with a screwdriver. They go in the square holes you see on the bolts.

Also get two ~40mm padlocks, you can get them keyed alike to make life easier. You can get these from Wilkinsons.

I have this arrangement on all my hutches, because I'm paranoid not only about wild animals but also about teenagers and other miscreants

Thanks for your replies. I will look into all of those ideas.

I'm not worried about people getting in. We back onto a railway so no-one can get in there. The side gate is padlocked, and we live in a cul-de-sac so it's not easy access in or out. Combination locks sound good incase I lose the key!

Combination locks will annoy you because they take so long to unlock. Most padlock sets come with lots of keys, so you won't lose them all.

Back