• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

noises

lollipop1982

Alpha Buck
Just a quick question.

Why do rabbits make squeaking noises. I've just picked fluffy up for a cuddle and she started squeaking but once in my arms she was fine.

She is used to cuddles and being picked up so not sure why she's making them

Tilly sometimes does a little squeak when I put her back in her cage, I would be interested to know what it means too:)

she did it a couple of months ago when i seperated her from her 2 brothers and assumed it was where she was scared but nothing happened today for her to get scared and is always being picked up

How old is she now ?

How old was she when you separated her from her Brothers ?

she's nearly 6 months now. due to be spayed at end of the month.

She was about 5 months when i seperated her from her brothers as her brothers started humping her. they've been seperated for about a month now but i have picked her brothers up before her before so not sure why she squeaked.

aww my reggie was wimpering when i was trying to hold him to give him is worming meds, it really upset me that he had got that scared :(

ruby grunts sometimes.

Some buns can simply be more vocal than others.

If a normally silent bun begins to squeak they may be in pain or scared and if Fluffy is normally silent I would be concerned about her squeaking.

Some rabbits are very scared about being picked up so think how you pick Fluffy up. Could anything you do be causing her possible pain or fear you had not thought about? Some of my buns have hated being picked up over a height and have coped better if I have got down to their level and been firmly holding them before I stood back up.

Scruffing is something most rabbits dislike but sadly most folk are told this is how to pick up a rabbit.:roll: It may be easier for us but I doubt its easier on the bun.

Pumpkin prefers to be spoken to and stroked before I slid my hand under his chest and my other hand under his bum to lift him up.
Teasel prefers a two arm scoop so all her feet are craddled upon my forearms.
Doodee will rip the flesh off your arm if you try and pick her up so I use what *vic* on here refers to as her patent bunny elevator method [rabbit carrier].

My noisy rabbits make a range of squeaks [feed me NOW/ pet me I am gorgeous] honks [where is the food, what is that, where are you] grunts [I am disgusted with you/ I do not like THAT rabbit] and soft tooth grinds [ you hit the spot now keep rubbing it].

If however they make a high pitched squeak I check if they are hurt or hurting.

Get to know what is normal for Fluffy so you can spot if low pitch squeaks get higher if for Fluffy this is how you 'talk' to people.

she's nearly 6 months now. due to be spayed at end of the month.

She was about 5 months when i seperated her from her brothers as her brothers started humping her. they've been seperated for about a month now but i have picked her brothers up before her before so not sure why she squeaked.

i really hate to break it to you, but its possible she's pregnant if her brothers aren't neutered.

I believe bunny gestation is 31 days, so how many days has it been since you seperated them?

Does she appear to have put on any weight?

Nutmeg squeaks when she gets stressed. It's her lung weakness manifesting itself so maybe a vet check is in order.

Back