• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rex: depressed or EC?

marmitesmum

Warren Scout
My bunny, Jasper a 3 year old Cinnamon rex has always loved to go out on the garden. Just before Xmas he was treated for cystitis. He's taken to just weeing and pooing where he lies. whilst he was being treated for this with antibiotics and healing cream he started to eat less, with this the vets decided to treat him for gastric stasis. He got to the point where they decided to keep him in over night. The next day, being Xmas eve the vets told me that he'd started to eat and I could bring him home and over xmas he's started to eat more and more which is good. However, the trouble is he's has no interest in going outside of his hutch. I've asked the vets to take a blood sample to test for EC, the results should be back next week. I have noticed today and yesterday that he seems to be holding his front paw in an odd way. Until I noticed this I thought he may perhaps be depressed, because of not being out on the garden as much. I'm wondering if the paw thing could be another symptom of EC?

The only symptom of what you described that sounds like EC may be the bladder but there are also many un EC waterwork problems that it may be. I'm not sure anything else does. EC generally affects the back end, specifically the back left leg first as a 'lazy leg'.

I would be wondering about something like arthritis to be honest. Or, given he is a rex, have you checked his hocks?

If he is the bunny in your avatar, he is gorgeous by the way.

Everything like that was checked when the vet suggested cystitis initially. He really doesn't seem himself at all, if I pick him up and put him outside he only remains there for 5 or 10minutes, when all he used to want to do was be on the garden.
I just don't know what it could be. Hopefully the blood test will show what it is.
The avatar picture is of Jasper. He's a little cutie pie

He's had x-rays and such? Have there been any medications (such as pain relief) that changed him back to his normal self?

If he's unwell or hurt in any way he will be feeling vulverable (to predators) which may explain why he doesn't want to be out in the garden.

Although his symptoms don't sound typical of e.c, this illness can take hold whilst a bunny is poorly so it may be a good idea to do a course of panacur/lapizole anyway if he hasn't been treated for it for a while- it will effect the results of any further e.c. tests your vet may be planning on doing so it's probably a good idea to discuss it with them first xx

He hasn't needed an xray. His front paw has only just started being limp in the past day or two and seeing as he's not moving around much I initially just thought he was lying with it in a funny way. When he has moved around he's not limped or anything like that.

The vets gave him painkiller when he first stopped eating. Because they couldn't find an obvious cause. It didn't seem to make a difference, not to his eating or the way he was in himself.

He was litter trained but has taken to just lying there and doing his business where he lies. This is what led me to think EC.

Looks like a trip to the vets if his paw is still the same tomorrow.

Last edited:
One of our male rabbits had a similar situation a couple of months ago. He was lifting his front left leg off the floor but it was not interfering in his normal gait. He allowed me to check the paw for anything caught in the toes without any flinching and there was no noticeable heat in the joints which might have suggested a sprain. This was on a Saturday afternoon so out of concern we booked a vet appointment for Monday. Unfortunately he haemorrhaged internally and passed away on the Sunday. There was no necropsy performed but we had an ultrasound done on the Sunday which showed blood on the abdominal cavity and a mass (presumed to be a tumour) at the colon. I'm not suggesting that is the problem with your boy but on reflection Paddy had also been a little lethargic during the preceding week. He rested a lot more than usual and had totally stopped playing with his toys; he also did not come out to join us in the the living room as willingly.

We can only presume the lifting of the paw may have been to alleviate some discomfort. A sign of internal bleeding is anaemia, which will make the mouth and particularly the gums start to lose their normal pinkness tending towards white or grey. I wish you well with your boy but I think under the circumstances the vet may be the best option.

Unwillingness to play, holding paw off the ground and urinary incontinence can also be due to mobility/spinal issues e.g arthritis.

Has he had some NSAID's to see if his symptoms improve?

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm am worried about my little man, he's been so healthy I've never needed to take him to the vets for anything apart from an initial check up when I first had him and vacinations, until now! :(

I'm not sure about the steroid/ anti inflammatory injections. I know they've used metoclopramide, antibiotic and painkiller injections whilst I was with him, but he was kept in with the vets overnight whilst they tried to get some fluids into him before Xmas so they may had tried some then. I'll check that with them later.

When he stayed at the vets, they did say he had been hopping around and there didn't seem to be a problem with his balance or anything like that. However we all know how quickly things can change with bunnies.

He's booked in to the vets for 5.30pm, not with the vet I would chose if I had the choice but being back at work an appointment is an appointment!

Last edited:
Update on Jasper the pesky bun!

The vet couldn't find anything wrong with his paw, or leg.

The blood tests were back. They originally had trouble getting blood out of him so it wasn't a great surprise when the lab came back saying there wasn't enough to run all the tests. The results that did come back though were the Biochem ones which the vet believes may point to an issue with his liver. However he wants to see the results of the Haemotology and EC tests before making any decision.

He was given a Metacam injection and I've got some to bring home. I also asked for rescue formula. Seeing as he's not eating as much I thought it best to ensure he's getting lots of nutrients.

IF it is his liver I suppose this could be why he perked up at the vets when he was on fluids. He's not eating as much fresh food as he once did, which was his favourite, but he def has plenty of water. Infact two bottles, one upstairs in his hutch and one downstairs!

It is awful and lots of hard work when they're poorly...but they sure are worth it!

Back