• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Helping new buns settle in

Wondergirl

Alpha Buck
I've just got my first two bunnies. They are 10 weeks old. Can you give me some tips and advice on helping them settle into their new surroundings?

are they indoors or outdoors?

I usually let new pets settle in by leaving them alone for a day or two before trying to stroke, cuddle or pick up new pets. When you first go to stroke them, let them come to you, maybe sit in their run if it's attached to the hutch, or sit in the room where their cage is if they are indoors.

They are in a heated garage at the moment because that's where they were kept with their previous owner. They will be moved outside in the spring when it warms up.

I gave them a quick cuddle before I put them in their hutch and my plan was to leave them in there to settle in. Sounds like I'm doing ok so far :) They had a 2hr car journey so I figured that might have stressed them out a bit.

They are in a 2 storey hutch, but seem unsure about going downstairs. How can I encourage them? Or will they do it in their own time?

They are in a heated garage at the moment because that's where they were kept with their previous owner. They will be moved outside in the spring when it warms up.

I gave them a quick cuddle before I put them in their hutch and my plan was to leave them in there to settle in. Sounds like I'm doing ok so far :) They had a 2hr car journey so I figured that might have stressed them out a bit.

They are in a 2 storey hutch, but seem unsure about going downstairs. How can I encourage them? Or will they do it in their own time?

that sounds good. what breed are they? and we also need pictures. :D :lol:

you could put their food bowl downstairs to encourage them down, but I'm sure they will go downstairs in their own time anyway. :)

They are mini lops :)

Holly is a black self and Fern is a black and White butterfly. Sooooo cute! I shall post pics once I work out how to do it! Lol.

We just left the pair of ours to get on with it pretty much. We didn't try and pick them up for the first few days and just let them come to us for a wee treat if they wanted to. Other than that we started their feed and cleaning routine as we intended to carry on.

Ours weren't sure about going downstairs either but they both did it in their own time.:)

Ours werent sure about going downstairs/upstairs too when they first came home but they did figure it out after a little while. I'm sure yours will too - it might be the first time they have come across 'stairs'.

oohh please post some piccies up. i have just reserved two mini lops and hope to collect them in a few weeks.

Back