• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rum And Raisin :(

Hessen

Banned
Just picked them both up for some cuddles and noticed a small sore on each foot of each of them on their heel. Never noticed anything before and wondering what they are, why they're there and how I treat them?

They're like small red bumps?

Carpet related?

A small callous-like area is normal but it should be well covered with fur.

If there is furloss and the skin looks to be very red/cracked/inflamed this is the start of 'sore hocks' . These are caused by various issues such as hind leg weakness/mobility problems, genetic predisposition etc.

So first off you need to ascertain if what they have is just the normal thickened kin or the onset of hock problems.

A pic maybe ?

As Jane says. Pink callouses are normal but should be covered by fur spread. Fur loss and reddening/bleeding/cracked sores are not normal and have a variety of factors causing, usually in combination.
Posting a picture would be helpful and describing their weight, breed, and housing accomodation and any health probs.

If they're red and sore and furless, they're sore hocks starting. Charlie got them quite bad, so I keep his nails nice and short, I used sudocrem on the sores (obviously had ot keep him form licking it off) and kept his hutch very padded with hay, which I then changed to foam tiles. His feet are perfect again now :love:

Haven't got the camera handy at the moment, but they look like this:

http://houserabbitblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/photo_052808_002.jpg

Rum's are well hidden by fur, but Raisin's are more noticeable.

They are about 1.2kg at last weigh in, lops, no previous medical history. They are free range down stairs in the house (combination of kitchen vinyl floor and carpet) and are locked up at night in a small carpeted area.

Barney had that last time he went to teh vets... he said it was just a callous forming and normal but now Im worried like you! Hes not a particularly rabbit savvy vet but he has an interest in them.

They look like normal callouses at the moment but 'could' at somepoint if they were aggravated deteriorate into sore hocks. Fur coverage is absolutely essential. I would not treat with anything at this stage - if you were to put cream on now you would squash the fur around them that is protecting them from further friction/pressure (sore hocks are pressure/friction sores like bed sores). Cream also softens the skin and on a weight bearing pressure area like the heel this will make the wound more likely to split/fracture and allow infection in.

At this stage I would monitor them closely, keep them both active, make sure they are not sitting on any soiled litter for too long (keep trays clean), keep those nails as short as possible and make sure that in their favourite snoozing areas you provide something padded like thick blankets/towels/vet bed/old duvet etc, or if they are hutch/outdoor buns - then lots of soft hay.

ETA Yes carpet can be a problem if it is high % polypropelene as plastic creates more static and friction than wool/cotton etc. However, if the callouses are only on the heel then it is only when bun is at rest (sitting still weight back on the heel) that the heel is in contact with the ground so just get some natural padded materials into their favourite resting spots. :)

Last edited:
That's probably it, as they both only ever sleep/doze/rest upright on their heels in furball mode. I'll try sticking some blankets down in their favourite carpet spots :)

Thank you.

the vet found one on matts heel when we last went. i hadn't even noticed it. :shock: he said it was nothing to worry about, he sees alot of them. the fur was growing over it and now it's fine. weird that it just appeared though.

Back