• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Large and small pairings

nessar

Warren Veteran
If I can keep my rabbit Barney (wont bore you with details, there is another thread on that) he will need a friend. I dont have an awful lot of space so will have to be a small bunny.

Not sure of Barney's weight, as it changed by a kg between weighings so one mustve been wrong, but he is 4-5kg. I'm hoping for a bunny around 1.5kg to be his friend.

Anyone have any experience of this?

Are there any problems I need to be aware of?

Can I feed them pellets and veg together?

Also... it sounds silly but will he squish her if he humps her? :oops:

All advice welcome :wave:

When I got Mable, she was a tiny baby. I bonded her and Charlie (who is about 3kg) right away. She was fine, they ate fine.. The only problem was when she humped him back, she couldn't get on his bum so she had to hump his head :lol:

When I got Mable, she was a tiny baby. I bonded her and Charlie (who is about 3kg) right away. She was fine, they ate fine.. The only problem was when she humped him back, she couldn't get on his bum so she had to hump his head :lol:

Aww bless thats so cute! Do you think the small rabbit would be a bit of a fatty if I fed them pellets together as she would get more than she should? Although Barney does eat exactly like a dog so not sure if she'd get much anyway...

I didn't personally have a problem with it. Chances are the big bunny will eat faster so will nom more anyway I think. If not, you can always split them for 10 mins at pellet time

Otis is around 4kg and Piglet's just over 2kg and they get on fine. She used to be really bossy but now she's got a bigger husbun she doesn't try to boss him around :lol:

Im going to bump this so its seen more hopefully, just in case anyone has had issues.

Also are smaller bunnies more mischevious than large/ more difficult? I can see already that my bunny-proofing will be nowhere near sufficient as they'd be able to fit behind all the furniture where I try to hide wires behind.

There was a thread around with some beautiful pictures of big and little pairings.

I have a semi big-little pair with Candyfloss at 3kg and Dusk at 1.3kg. They do awesomely together :) Its his personality that makes the bond work. Food is fine for them, but she is a total fatty so she needs minimal pellets anyway. Having said that, Dusk is a dental bunny and that's suited him brilliantly because he has needed one dental since being with her (and that's 18 months) whereas before he was having them every 14 weeks.

I have a big and little pair :wave: Daisy is around 5kg and Jester is around 2kg (he's a bit porky :oops: )

They get on wonderfully and I don't have any problems with them. Jester does tend to hump Daisy's head during spring fever season, but she doesn't mind too much! They're absolutely devoted to each other and I love watching them flopped out :love:

A few pics of my babies:
Newtoys014.jpg
Newtoys042.jpg

July076.jpg
July041.jpg

My odd couple are devoted to each other too, but BB (6kg) is a hoover so I have to feed Joey (0.9kg) either separately or give him extra food away fromm BB

2003_0101Image0001.jpg

They were the initial two bunnies I had when I stumbled across Cottontails rescue and read up on bonding etc, which is why I put these two together (my first bond). I wouldn't choose to put odd sized rabbits together really, but their temperament determines whether its a wise choice or not.

BB has always been very gentle so I felt that Joey would be safe with her.
I bonded them over several months (living in the same shed but separated) before they met, and when they did they were instantly brilliant. Not a single tussle between them, ever.

Back