• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding hay to a rabbit who isn't fed it.

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
I'm adopting/rescuing a rabbit tomorrow which apparently only gets hay once a week (small amount) because the breeder they brought her from said they can't change her diet (a bowl full of Rabbit Royale one a day)

Can I feed hay unlimitedly straight away or shall I go easy on the hay? I was going to do it gradually but someone suggested feedings it straight away in large quantities. Is this ok?

I would just offer unlimited hay straight away, as ong as it is just normal hay, not alfalfa or readigrass etc.

I would just offer unlimited hay straight away, as ong as it is just normal hay, not alfalfa or readigrass etc.

Its 1 part Orchard Grass mixed with approximatly 4 parts green meadow hay from Jolleys which is really good quality. It's the only hays types that my Thumper will eat. So shall I give it to her straight away? As regards to the full bowl of food she gets once a day, should I continue this and reduce it gradually to a handful a day and THEN start changing the food to Bunny Basic T? Or shall I reduce the food whilst changing it?

I'm sure meadow hay would be considerd 'normal' hay - supermarkets sell it as bedding, after all. I hope orchard grass is 'nromal' too, because Spenser is showing a great taste for it and I'm thinking of ordering a larger bag next time. If you go on The Hay Experts' website most of the hays are given quite a detailed description. I actually order from Animal Magic though.

I'm sure meadow hay would be considerd 'normal' hay - supermarkets sell it as bedding, after all. I hope orchard grass is 'nromal' too, because Spenser is showing a great taste for it and I'm thinking of ordering a larger bag next time. If you go on The Hay Experts' website most of the hays are given quite a detailed description. I actually order from Animal Magic though.

I've tried almost all normal hays I can think of, he doesn't eat any, except these too. He is fussier then my other half and that is saying something lol

I'll give her fresh hay daily I think :)

I've tried almost all normal hays I can think of, he doesn't eat any, except these too. He is fussier then my other half and that is saying something lol

I'll give her fresh hay daily I think :)

Well, Thumper is such a darling, he's allowed to be fussy. :love:

yes give hay and be carefull when you change it off rabbit royal do it by changing over very slowly i usually mix my food with theirs and do it that way
people have had alot of problems changing over from rabbit royal as it has probiotics in it when you change over it causes bloat :?

good luck
ann x

so my rabbit won't eat hay. he used to now, he just doesn't eat it like he should, rabbits need to eat a pile of hay about the size of their bodies each day, but mine doesn't do that! he only eats like a strand or two if im lucky. i feed him 1/4 cup of Oxbow bunny basics (timothy pellets) each day.

That is what I feed my rabbit too :) He loves them!

yes give hay and be carefull when you change it off rabbit royal do it by changing over very slowly i usually mix my food with theirs and do it that way
people have had alot of problems changing over from rabbit royal as it has probiotics in it when you change over it causes bloat :?

good luck
ann x

So should I take about a month or so to change it over?

I think you can change the food in less than a month, maybe a couple of weeks, just giving a small amount of new and large amount of old to begin with, then gradually lessen the old and increase the new food. And i would slightly decrease it daily too, as long as bunster eats much hay (which she should do hopefully now she has a supply of it)

The hay you have sounds fine :):) Just feed as much as bunster will eat

Back