• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should I look?

I do a paper round and when walking, I saw that someone who I don't deliver too has a hutch on show in their garden. I noticed it when a cat went running into their garden, I don't go looking in people's gardens! :lol:
From the look of it, even though it is a double, it is tiny. :( I think about 3ft and with the ramp (if it has one) it must take up loads of floor space. I can't see it properly as it's quite far down the garden path and it was quite dark when I saw it but I'm worried there may be a pet being kept in it. :( It really does look tiny I could sneak up and have a look but what if they saw me. :oops: I know it would seem really nosy and it's not my right to go walking into someone's garden. But, if i find out there is a pet in it, I will report them to the RSPCA. Don't want to get into trouble though, just want what's best for the animal if there is one being kept in it! :cry:

Any ideas on how I can find out if there's an animal in there without going walking into someone's garden? ;)

Last edited:
I do a paper round and someone who I don't deliver too has a hutch on show in their garden. I noticed it when my cat went running into their garden and I don't go looking in people's gardens! :lol:
From the look of it, even though it is a double, it is tiny. :( I think about 3ft and with the ramp (if it has one) it must take up loads of floor space. I can't see it properly as it's quite far down the garden path and it was quite dark when I saw it but I'm worried there may be a pet being kept in it. :( It really does look tiny so I think I should sneak up and have a look but what if they saw me. :oops: I know it would seem really nosy and it's not my right to go walking into someone's garden. But, if i find out there is a pet in it, I will report them to the RSPCA. Don't want to get into trouble though, just want what's best for the animal if there is one being kept in it! :cry:

Don't go creeping up, just phone the RSPCA and let them deal with it :) They'll decide

if there is a rabbit in there, can't you leave a note on their door or something, informing them on rabbit care, giving them this forum, etc. Its possible they don't know much about rabbits. I don't know if they'd get into trouble with RSPCA or not, just seems that everyone always wants to report people but what if they honestly don't better and just need to be informed?

If you cant see without entering somone elses garden then dont. can you see if there is a water bottle?
not much you can do really.

if there is a rabbit in there, can't you leave a note on their door or something, informing them on rabbit care, giving them this forum, etc. Its possible they don't know much about rabbits. I don't know if they'd get into trouble with RSPCA or not, just seems that everyone always wants to report people but what if they honestly don't better and just need to be informed?

that's a good idea. :) Thanks. Maybe they do just need informing.... just depends on whether they'd take notice.

that's a good idea. :) Thanks. Maybe they do just need informing.... just depends on whether they'd take notice.

yeah, I guess thats the problem.. even if you kept a eye on it, they could've ordered a hutch online and you wouldn't know (since I imagine they'd take up to 2 wks or more to arrive).

I don't think there's much you can do really. There's no law about keeping a pet in a 3ft hutch. Only if the animal is being mistreated will the RSPCA do anything about it.

I did the same thing when I found harry, But i was naughty and went in the garden, I dont advise it tho :lol: Is there anyone living there do you know ?

You could get into trouble with the police if you go into the garden. The owners would probably be really angry if they found someone in the garden looking to see what was in the hutch. They might think you are trying to take their pet.

You could get into trouble with the police if you go into the garden. The owners would probably be really angry if they found someone in the garden looking to see what was in the hutch. They might think you are trying to take their pet.

exactly, I wouldn't want someone trespassing into my garden. It's just, if there is an animal suffering, something needs to be done. That's why I need ideas on how to know if there's an animal in there without getting into trouble. :(

maybe knock on their door and do a questionaire, ask them a few questions about their pet and pretend its for a schol project :lol:

They might also take it as offensive to have someone give them info on looking after their own pet. If it was disguised as a 'how to look after your rabbit in winter' with some general info slipped in that /would be a bit gentler I think. Maybe there's an rspca leaflet you can use to make it seem like everyone is getting one (pop them through the neighbours doors too) or could you 'accidently' put a newspaper through their door with the leaflets inside?

exactly, I wouldn't want someone trespassing into my garden. It's just, if there is an animal suffering, something needs to be done. That's why I need ideas on how to know if there's an animal in there without getting into trouble. :(

But you don't know if it is suffering. It may have a big run in the garden or go in the house. Small hutches are not a reason to report people to the RSPCA. We need to try and get shops and garden centres to stop selling small hutches. People see them for sale in these places so think they must be okay. Having a small hutch is not deliberately being cruel just misinformed.

Just pop some info through the door, they don't have to know it was you.

I don't think there's much you can do really. There's no law about keeping a pet in a 3ft hutch. Only if the animal is being mistreated will the RSPCA do anything about it.

Yeah, if the animal has food and water there's not much the RSPCA can do

There might be no rabbit in it at all. I have a 3x1 hutch in the garden, it's sometimes on show but none of my rabbits live in it.

Yeah, if the animal has food and water there's not much the RSPCA can do

There might be no rabbit in it at all. I have a 3x1 hutch in the garden, it's sometimes on show but none of my rabbits live in it.

I too have a 3ft x 1ft used as a base only. I'm just hoping there's no rabbit in the hutch I've seen.

Have you ever seen anyone about?
It might take a bit of loitering, but you might be able to engineer something along the lines of ...." hello, nice to see the sun for a change/ what a grotty day , ooh do you keep rabbits? I've got xxxxxx at home, who have you got living in there, etc etc"

Back