• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What toys do your destructobuns like best?

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
Dear Aunty RU

I have a problem. A destructobun problem. It started with Ruby escaping. Ruby and Castiel have free range of the spare room with a baby gate on the door, and she started squeezing through the bars. We reinforced it with mesh, she started jumping over the gate. We started shutting the door, she started chewing the door. They dig up the carpet, they pee randomly, they are just naughty naughty buns!! They always start just after me and the OH have gone to bed. He shouts and swears at them, then shouts and swears at me.

I've tried toys with them and they have cardboard boxes, but they only want what they can't have. Please help RU, tell me what toys I should buy that taste as good as doors and carpets

find someone with a huge apple tree and get the branches... my pair love stripping the bark of trees :wave:

Destructobuns! :lol: :lol: Well, the toys MY destructobuns like best are: carpets, furniture, bedding, clothes, skirting boards, plasterboard, plaster ...... need I go on?! :lol:

.... oh, some constructive advice ..... fresh apple twigs/leaves and cardboard are the only things my buns love more than those listed above!

find someone with a huge apple tree and get the branches... my pair love stripping the bark of trees :wave:

I ordered some apple branches from RU before - they lasted about a second :shock: it was the scariest thing I've ever seen I thought only beavers could strip wood so fast :shock:

The skirting boards are ok *touch wood* I bunny-proofed them. The carpet is pretty impossible to bunny proof though without spending a fortune!!

Could you get them some carpet of their own or a thick rug that they could chew?
Maybe that would encourage them to eat the other carpet though, I dont know.

My 2 dont chew the carpet of anything but they took a liking to my sisters slipper boot thingies so she gave them to them so they could play :D

Do you think it's the time of year? You should see Jack and Hollie's Snugglesafe cover.... :roll:

Hollie was obsessively digging at and trashing a huge cardboard box on the yard today.

Could you use Vetbed rugs and clear carpet protector to protect the carpet?

What about using a Dog Crate with an attached pen for overnight use or an indoor hutch and run?

Um- scattering herbs and Readigrass - a forage box?

Eeeep Nicola I feel for you. Jack and Hollie were pretty good but had started down this route.

Mine love cardboard boxes. I just cut a couple holes in them so they can get in and have somewhere to start chewing. They also love the hay covered tunnels from P@H, but they are rather expensive (and messy lol).

Nora has also recently figured out how to get ontop of her hutch, so she's chewing that (and the blinds) as well :roll:

Thumper likes a pile of news papers just thrown on the floor over lapping each other in a pile, he sits there and shreds them up all day long. Or a wicker ball, he plays with that when he is bored :)

Jess and Chlo have stopped chewing their sofa this week - I think it's because the carrott patch (from Pets at Home) has been keeping them occupied. ;)

Dear Aunty RU

I have a problem. A destructobun problem. It started with Ruby escaping. Ruby and Castiel have free range of the spare room with a baby gate on the door, and she started squeezing through the bars. We reinforced it with mesh, she started jumping over the gate. We started shutting the door, she started chewing the door. They dig up the carpet, they pee randomly, they are just naughty naughty buns!! They always start just after me and the OH have gone to bed. He shouts and swears at them, then shouts and swears at me.

I've tried toys with them and they have cardboard boxes, but they only want what they can't have. Please help RU, tell me what toys I should buy that taste as good as doors and carpets

Their very own door and their very own bit of carpet?? Sorry - no idea. It's very hard to stop a bun once it's put it's mind to something!!

Could you buy a cheap off-cut of carpet and put in on top of the carpet you don't want them to 'modify'? :? They sounds a real couple of characters - fancy swearing at bunnies though :shock: ... all very well for me to say that when I don't have a housebunny.

Spenser now jumps on the conservatory couch and digs at the fleece throw. I'm terrified in case he damages the couch, as my parents had it rather expensively recovered, but Mum tells me to leave him be ... :roll:

Could you buy a cheap off-cut of carpet and put in on top of the carpet you don't want them to 'modify'? :? They sounds a real couple of characters - fancy swearing at bunnies though :shock: ... all very well for me to say that when I don't have a housebunny.

I know :( poor bunnies. They probably do it more because he's so mean to them! :evil: serves him right. Tbh I think I'll just replace the carpet when we move out, it'll be cheaper in the longer run, but OH doesn't seem to see that

I know :( poor bunnies. They probably do it more because he's so mean to them! :evil: serves him right. Tbh I think I'll just replace the carpet when we move out, it'll be cheaper in the longer run, but OH doesn't seem to see that

ive had this problem for the past year with my rabbit and i have never been able to stop him so now when he start doing it i just go out of the room and ignore him he soon stops. they might actually want ur company my rabbit tends to stop when im sat there with him but when he gets fed up of me he starts all over again.

for the moment ive stopped letting him out he keeps spraying everywhere. i let him out before bed for half an hour and for about 10 mins in the morning but ill change it again soon.

i thought if i did this every so often it would make him a bit more enthuisatic about going out and it has actually worked but he hasnt stopped spraying and trying to dig.

Lucy LOVED the grass mat things you can get from hay experts. I can't remember which 1 I got but it didn't leave a huge mess either but she ripped it to shreds and dug at it. I have just bought another. She also likes one of the balls out of a trio pack. i can't find the ball as a single one though :?
Dudley loves the little balls with the jingle bell in the middle. He throws that about alot!

Doodee is a little b' for destruction.

Anything that really matters has to be encased in wire- might be worth buying a large dog crate if your buns are uber-destructive and siting a large heavy duty puppy pen around that.

I use one cardboard box inside another and shove it full of a range of hay and dried herbs. If I am lucky that will last for 4-5 hours whilst she destroys it.

Lost count of how many rugs she has ripped and torn- these days I buy her pure jute floor rugs to shred and look out for none rubber backed washable floor rugs.

I offer lumps of wood and branches but madam does so prefer my sofas. If you have not got a supply of wood in your garden have a look around locally- I scab from the local allotments - [allotment holders would prefer not to burn their fruit prunings] and look out for gardeners cutting bun edible plants down.

Tamsin's website has some brill cardboard tube and newspaper tunnel ideas that keep Doodee busy for a while esp the tube ball with food hidden inside. The trio balls last her nanno-seconds. A large wicker ball is killed after a day.

I found no substances or smell that stops Doodee from chewing anything she can get her teeth into.

A xmas guest left her suitcase -one wheel came off- and I filled it with a blanket, newspapers, straw, hay, treats and a couple of toys for Poppet. She luuurves her new playpen and can spend aaages just digging, ripping and chewing without anyone telling her off :lol::lol:

PS, before anyone gets worried, the lid is NOT on and she is supervised the entire time...

Back